3.4 GPA, Lots of research experience, chances for MD, maybe even MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godspeed99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a half-Hispanic / half-Asian (counts as URM?) NJ resident currently a senior at a top 10 liberal arts college. I want to apply this cycle do I have a chance at MD schools? I am also interested in MD/PhD programs but I feel my low GPA will keep me out of the running. Therefore, which schools should I be looking at? I am looking to apply very broadly!

Stats
3.35 cGPA, 3.36 sGPA (3.3 Freshman year, 3.0, 3.5, 3.9 subsequent years)
Strong upward trend - should be 3.4c/3.4s by application time
Taking MCAT in March (Practice tests <34) Hoping for a score around there.

Research (Total 2 ½ years of bench-work research)
-Senior Thesis in Autism Development Research (hoping for publication once finished)
-Research Assistant (2 years) - Autism Research (2 Conferences, manuscript in the work for research)
-Summer Research at Mount Sinai – Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center (publication in the works)
-Research Assistant (1 semester) – Sexual Behaviors

Physician Shadowing
-40 hours (Pediatrics, ED room, Vascular Surgery)

Clinical Volunteering
-EMT since high school (<500 hours)

Employment
-Campus Job at school for 3 years (worked 10 hours a week)
-Camp Counselor for special needs children for a summer

Other Extracurricular Activities
-Varsity Athlete (3 years)
-Chair of Majors Committee
-Vice president of dorm house (1 year)
-Campus Event Planner (4 years)

Thanks for the help and input!

Members don't see this ad.

Chilean and I have done some volunteer work within hispanic communities and worked as a sales associate in predominantly hispanic community. I am proficient in spanish, took some classes in college as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you would be good for MD programs if you can score around a 34. MD-PhD might be pushing it a little given your GPA, but I think you would have a decent shot there too if you can score well on the MCAT. Do you by chance have any non-clinical volunteering?

Like nemo123 said, you definitely have a shot at an MD program, but you'll need to really step it up for the MCAT for MD/PHD. Make sure to ace your classes this semester so you can finish strong. Whatever you do, just make sure to apply broadly, and remember that there are MD/PHD programs that are not MSTP (slightly less competitive). Good luck!

thanks for the help guys, I do not have significant non-clinicial volunteering as I tried to focus more on the clinical aspect (where I lacked). For MD schools, should I be looking at mid-tier, lower-tier schools? (dependent on MCAT score)

Depends on your MCAT score, but you should be good for most schools. You should try to get some non-clinical volunteering done if possible.

Chilean and I have done some volunteer work within hispanic communities and worked as a sales associate in predominantly hispanic community. I am proficient in spanish, took some classes in college as well.
Chileans are not generally considered under-represented in medicine, but language skills are always appreciated.