3.5 cGPA 3.3 sGPA 30+ projected MCAT Bad Year in Grad School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2birdE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just looking for some advice/input concerning my chances of acceptance.

I am a northeast PA resident hoping to be accepted to TCMC. I have a decently strong undergrad GPA and am hoping for a strong MCAT score. I have over 100 hours volunteering in an ER and about 50 hours volunteering in a small free clinic. I am have completed 140 hours of training in phlebotomy and spent the last year teaching biology as an adjunct professor.

Here is the snag:
I completed the Masters's and Biomedical Sciences program at TCMC and did not have such a great year academically. I was very involved in activities and doing well when I tragically lost my cousin during finals week of the first semester. Being very close with my cousin I took the loss extremely hard and failed all of my final exams leaving me with 3 C's on my transcript. I returned to school the spring semester and was still not coping very well. I was offered a leave of absence, but did not accept and worked my butt off for the rest of the semester trying to pull up my grades. I finished the spring semester with B's A's and 1C.

My question is, how much do you think my poor performance in grad school will affect my chance of any acceptances, and should I include what happened in my PS?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.