3.5 oGPA, 3.2sGPA, 25 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mvb2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a post bacc and doing fairly well...retaking my MCAT in August. The rest of my application is solid...lots of shadowing, consistent volunteer and community service, etc. This is my first time applying to DO schools and I'm only applying to William Carey and ACOM out in Dothan, Al. Are my chances decent?

Oh and my breakdown of my score is: BS--8, PS--8, VS--9.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a post bacc and doing fairly well...retaking my MCAT in August. The rest of my application is solid...lots of shadowing, consistent volunteer and community service, etc. This is my first time applying to DO schools and I'm only applying to William Carey and ACOM out in Dothan, Al. Are my chances decent?

Decent chances of getting in somewhere if you apply broadly, but only applying to two schools will hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't want to go too far from home and I applied to places that I felt that I was most eligible for. But I did go ahead and expand my application to the 2 Florida DO schools as well.

I didn't want to go too far from home and I applied to places that I felt that I was most eligible for. But I did go ahead and expand my application to the 2 Florida DO schools as well.

Do you want to go somewhere or not get an acceptance because you only applied to 4 schools?

You should be fine.

Decent chances of getting in somewhere if you apply broadly, but only applying to two schools will hurt you.

out of curiosity, when someone says "apply broadly", about how many schools would you say is "broadly??"

Goro hath spoken! (Most likely a complete badass irl)

Applying broader though is probably a good idea. I would consider applying further out. Never apply to a school that you know you could never go, but I would perhaps add some "maybes". Just so you have the option. You could always have that point where you are completely denied to those four schools but hold an acceptance at a school that is kinda close. You might be thanking yourself later down the road as you accept it too.

Just do not apply to a Californian school if you live on the east coast and have no intentions of ever going that far. Just some maybes. Perhaps an adjacent state or somewhere else nearby?