MD & DO 3.5cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 27 MCAT. Economically disadvantaged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soviet Poland

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm just looking for some feedback regarding my application this cycle. I'm an Arizona resident who is mostly applying to my instate MD schools and a handful of DO schools.

I'm a post-grad in my first gap year. I graduated in May of 2013. Since graduating from college, I have been employed full time as an emergency department scribe.

My MCAT is a 27 (7 PS, 11 VR, 9 BS).

My sGPA and cGPA has a strong upward trend. My sGPA was in the 3.0-3.1 my first two years and 3.64 my senior year, and 4.0 in a post-bacc classes. I have a lot of upper-division sciences in physiology (Immunology, Pulmonology, Cellular physiology, Psychoneuroimmunology) all with As.

EDIT: Also I don't think it really carries much weight, but my non-science GPA was 3.95

ECs:

I've volunteered since I was in high school. Back then I took a course that had us shadow multiple allied health workers in a hospital across the street. So I've seen pretty much any technician, nurse, or other allied-health type setting. From that, I was able to shadow an anesthesiologist and a pulmonologist, those total combined to about 40 hours. I also completed an EMT course during high school, but I was too young to be hire-able when I was nationally certified, so my certification expired.

During my freshman year, I continued my volunteering at that hospital in the ED. I have 120~ total hours of volunteering. During college, I participated in Physiology club, no officer positions but I did help out in tent events and fundraising type tasks. I also played soccer for most of my life. I did a competitive club when I was in my tweens, played high school (varsity captain), and continued intramural participation during college.

My most profound experience is the scribing. I've been able to work with 30 or so different providers. MDs, DOs, PAs, and NPs. I have over a thousand hours worked in the ED and have charted on thousands of patients. Toward the end of college, I continued shadowing and have 40 hours with a family practice physician.

Other then that, I spent a lot of time working due to my economic disadvantage. My father died when I was six years old and I grew up in a single-parent household from a parent who emigrated from Poland. I'm the first generation in my family to be born in the US and to graduate from college.

I started working when I was 15, continued through high school and into college. College I worked part-time, the rest was funded through grants and loans. I've worked as a soccer referee, clothing store associate, basketball referee, Target employee, and as a scribe.

I suppose my reach schools would be OOS private schools:
George Washington University, Creighton University, Loma Linda University

My targets would be:
University of Arizona Tucson
University of Arizona Phoenix
AZCOM
ATSU-SOMA
Nova Southeastern

I don't think I can really have safeties with my stats. If I don't get in this year, I will look into Master's programs that preferably have a direct route into their medical school. I've considered Caribbean, but I'm not entirely sold in the idea. I know I'm not in a position to be picky. I do have a fiancee with an interest in doing a Quantitative Psychology PhD program, so I've eliminated a lot of the DO school options in more rural as opposed to urban areas. I know I may need to broaden my targets, but I'm giving a shot this cycle with what I have and will go from there.

Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are aware that LLU is a mission-based school?

Nope. What exactly do you mean by "mission-based"? Does it actively promote religion and all that? I'm an atheist. I'm not particularly adversarial with religious people, I know Creighton is catholic-based too, but I don't know if they actively incorporate religion into their practice either.

I haven't submitted secondaries for LLU yet. I've only completed my in-states and NSU-COM

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. What exactly do you mean by "mission-based"? Does it actively promote religion and all that? I'm an atheist. I'm not particularly adversarial with religious people, I know Creighton is catholic-based too, but I don't know if they actively incorporate religion into their practice either.

I haven't submitted secondaries for LLU yet. I've only completed my in-states and NSU-COM

Don't even bother with LL.
Their whole mission is basically centered around serving Christ.

They have a whole list of bylaws. If you have no dedicated service to the church, most importantly the seventh day Adventist church, don't waste your money.

http://www.llu.edu/central/mission.page

I see. Thanks for the heads up. Any idea if Creighton is similar? I'm limited in the private schools I'm competitive for, especially considering it might be prohibitively expensive for me to interview out in the east coast. I suppose I could throw out a few more DO applications, notably Western or Touro Nevada. I'd like to avoid living in Vallejo, CA for Touro CA. Maybe RVUCOM.

I see. Thanks for the heads up. Any idea if Creighton is similar? I'm limited in the private schools I'm competitive for, especially considering it might be prohibitively expensive for me to interview out in the east coast. I suppose I could throw out a few more DO applications, notably Western or Touro Nevada. I'd like to avoid living in Vallejo, CA for Touro CA. Maybe RVUCOM.
None of the other MD schools (even the Catholic schools) are religiously mission-based to the degree that LLU is. There are still some problems with contraception teaching (at the Catholic schools) that can be bothersome for many. Nevertheless, given your situation, DO schools are going to be your prime target.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've read, they do have courses that do have a religious focus on them.

LL is in it's own league though. They have a nice list of "commandments" for their students. Like no alcohol, caffeine, sex, etc.

But tbh, as a borderline applicant, if you want md you'll have to expand your net for md schools.

None of the other MD schools (even the Catholic schools) are religiously mission-based to the degree that LLU is. There are still some problems with contraception teaching that can be bothersome for many. Nevertheless, given your situation, DO schools are going to be your prime target.

Gotcha. I'm not very amenable with that. I'll cross LLU off my list.

Beggars can't be choosy...a 27 MCAT is circling the drain for MD schools. Quinnipiac and some of the newest MD schools might work for you, but your best bet will be DO schools. Any of them, except LUCOM.

Hey folks,

I'm just looking for some feedback regarding my application this cycle. I'm an Arizona resident who is mostly applying to my instate MD schools and a handful of DO schools.

I'm a post-grad in my first gap year. I graduated in May of 2013. Since graduating from college, I have been employed full time as an emergency department scribe.

My MCAT is a 27 (7 PS, 11 VR, 9 BS).

My sGPA and cGPA has a strong upward trend. My sGPA was in the 3.0-3.1 my first two years and 3.64 my senior year, and 4.0 in a post-bacc classes. I have a lot of upper-division sciences in physiology (Immunology, Pulmonology, Cellular physiology, Psychoneuroimmunology) all with As.

EDIT: Also I don't think it really carries much weight, but my non-science GPA was 3.95

ECs:

I've volunteered since I was in high school. Back then I took a course that had us shadow multiple allied health workers in a hospital across the street. So I've seen pretty much any technician, nurse, or other allied-health type setting. From that, I was able to shadow an anesthesiologist and a pulmonologist, those total combined to about 40 hours. I also completed an EMT course during high school, but I was too young to be hire-able when I was nationally certified, so my certification expired.

During my freshman year, I continued my volunteering at that hospital in the ED. I have 120~ total hours of volunteering. During college, I participated in Physiology club, no officer positions but I did help out in tent events and fundraising type tasks. I also played soccer for most of my life. I did a competitive club when I was in my tweens, played high school (varsity captain), and continued intramural participation during college.

My most profound experience is the scribing. I've been able to work with 30 or so different providers. MDs, DOs, PAs, and NPs. I have over a thousand hours worked in the ED and have charted on thousands of patients. Toward the end of college, I continued shadowing and have 40 hours with a family practice physician.

Other then that, I spent a lot of time working due to my economic disadvantage. My father died when I was six years old and I grew up in a single-parent household from a parent who emigrated from Poland. I'm the first generation in my family to be born in the US and to graduate from college.

I started working when I was 15, continued through high school and into college. College I worked part-time, the rest was funded through grants and loans. I've worked as a soccer referee, clothing store associate, basketball referee, Target employee, and as a scribe.

I suppose my reach schools would be OOS private schools:
George Washington University, Creighton University, Loma Linda University

My targets would be:
University of Arizona Tucson
University of Arizona Phoenix
AZCOM
ATSU-SOMA
Nova Southeastern

I don't think I can really have safeties with my stats. If I don't get in this year, I will look into Master's programs that preferably have a direct route into their medical school. I've considered Caribbean, but I'm not entirely sold in the idea. I know I'm not in a position to be picky. I do have a fiancee with an interest in doing a Quantitative Psychology PhD program, so I've eliminated a lot of the DO school options in more rural as opposed to urban areas. I know I may need to broaden my targets, but I'm giving a shot this cycle with what I have and will go from there.

Sorry for the wall of text. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user