MD & DO 3.5cGPA / 3.3 sGPA / 30 MCAT / PA res.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmbop2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle and would like some opinions on my chances at MD & DO schools.
I'm a PA resident, Fall 2013 BS Psychology/Neuroscience grad.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.54
sGPA: 3.33
MCAT (1/2015): 30 (9,11,10)
-Alpha Epsilon Delta member (not sure if that's worth mentioning)
-Dean's List many semesters (see above)
-Scholarship recipient based on merit

EC's:
-Lead TA (1.5 years)
-Psychology research, Lead RA (2 years)
-Intern at school's health center (1 year)
-Hospital volunteer (1.5 years)
-Other random volunteer work throughout college (2-3 years)
-Volunteer at a camp for children w/ disabilities (1 summer)
-CNA (well, the equivalent at my hospital) since April 2014 - I have 2000+ patient care hours.

Shadowing:
-I have a decent amount of shadowing.
+Can I include hours of shadowing where I've helped/observed physicians at work?

LOR's:
-2 science (both bio prof)
-1 from research lab
-1 from PA (my health center intern boss/teacher)
-1 from the director of the unit I work on at the hospital.
*-1 from a D.O. (working on this)
-committee letter from my pre med committee (in progress).

School List:

MD:
TCMC
USF- Select program
-This is a program with my local hospital to bring physicians to NEPA, hence my interest.
Temple- St. Luke's
-See above.
Penn State
Rowan- Cooper
Drexel
Rush
Quinnipiac
Albany
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland
Georgetown
GWU
Tufts (this is my reach/dream program)

DO:

PCOM
Rowan
UNECOM
MSUCOM
-I know there are a ton more I can/will apply to, just not sure which ones (aka looking for suggestions).

My burning questions:
-Does anybody know of schools that would value my large amount of patient care hours/experience (to compensate for my GPA). Yes, I have researched this, just haven't found anything substantial.
-How can I make my application stand out for the USF and Temple programs?
I am worried my application will be passed by due to my below average stat's for those programs. I am assuming that their secondaries will have an essay where I can express my interest in training/practicing in NEPA, I'm just worried about being screened before I get them/still being passed by.
-I have the opportunity to become a part-time scribe - should I rush to begin that in order to add it to my app?
-Any other suggestions to get my app to stand out/things I should work on adding prior to submitting?

Sorry this is a long post, just wanted to include as much info to get valuable responses. I really appreciate any input. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a pretty good list and a good shot of landing an acceptance for MD. I can't really speak to any of your "burning questions" but on the DO side I would take off MSUCOM. Although your stats are great, they have an insane OOS tuition and give heavy preference to MI residents. If you want to stay in the New England area you could add:
NYIT-COM
Touro COM
LECOM

You're competitive for any DO school, so you can pretty much take your pick of location.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
your list is pretty good, though the georges are probably donations

i would have advised you to stick with the PA schools and all the newer schools, which is more or less what you've done. you can pick any DO school you want

Reactions: 1 user
Thx :) Figured those would be reaches, but I have family in the area, hence my interest.