3.62 GPA, 32 unbalanced MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyacinth21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would love to get into my state school (U of Illinois), or any low-mid tiers. I will be applying this June.

~3.62 cGPA, ~3.55 sGPA, physics major (my senior year grades will likely raise my GPA slightly)

32 MCAT 8/14/10 ps/v/bs (my major concern is that I'm a physics major and got an 8 in ps).

ECs (I have a good idea of how to write about these to show their meaningfulness):
2 summer research programs
1 summer paid clinical experience
1 summer lifeguard
3 semesters hospital volunteering in pediatrics
2 semesters research at my university with conference & poster
3 years leadership experience
2 semesters volunteering as tutor for underserved high schoolers
3 semesters volunteering as tutor for students taking physics courses at my university

I will be taking a gap year while applying and have a good prospect for a research job, and I plan to continue with volunteering. Please let me know WMAC, and I would really appreciate any advice of what I can do in the meantime to strengthen my app.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're be fine, even with the PS8.

Hi everyone,

I would love to get into my state school (U of Illinois), or any low-mid tiers. I will be applying this June.

~3.62 cGPA, ~3.55 sGPA, physics major (my senior year grades will likely raise my GPA slightly)

32 MCAT 8/14/10 ps/v/bs (my major concern is that I'm a physics major and got an 8 in ps).

ECs (I have a good idea of how to write about these to show their meaningfulness):
2 summer research programs
1 summer paid clinical experience
1 summer lifeguard
3 semesters hospital volunteering in pediatrics
2 semesters research at my university with conference & poster
3 years leadership experience
2 semesters volunteering as tutor for underserved high schoolers
3 semesters volunteering as tutor for students taking physics courses at my university

I will be taking a gap year while applying and have a good prospect for a research job, and I plan to continue with volunteering. Please let me know WMAC, and I would really appreciate any advice of what I can do in the meantime to strengthen my app.

What happened in the PS section? Was it a bad set of questions for you or did you blank?

What happened in the PS section? Was it a bad set of questions for you or did you blank?
PS was definitely challenging and calculation-heavy on the actual test date. Thanks to Goro's encouragement, though, I'm leaning towards not retaking.