3.64 cGPA, 3.59 sGPA, 36O, Weak ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Purple Yams

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:
I am majoring in cognitive science w/ specialization in neuroscience at UCSD. I spent 5 years in undergrad since I initially was interested in computer science. I am applying straight after graduation and plan to work as an EMT in my gap year.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.64
sGPA: 3.59
MCAT: 12/12/12, O

ECs:
- Research: 2.5 years doing temporal lobe epilepsy research. Most of my duties involved creating scripts to process neuroimaging data. Was trained as an MRI operator for campus MRI machine. No publications yet but will be 3rd author on two papers that are currently in review. Two posters, third author on one presented at American Epilepsy conference, and second author at one presented at a Junior Faculty Symposium. Also presented research at an Undergraduate Research Conference for my school.
- Volunteering: 100 hours of volunteering at hospital
- Shadowing: 20 hours of shadowing in ICU, ER, and radiology departments
- Medical mission: Participated in a 3 day medical mission in the Philippines during the summer between high school and college
- EMT training: Trained as an EMT and will be taking certification test by the end of the month.
- No leadership, clubs, teaching, jobs, or honors (unless I count Deans Honor which is 3.5 GPA, which I'm not planning on listing on my app)

Other:
- Personal statement should be fine but not stellar.
- 5 LoR, 1 from PI (strong), 1 from bio, 1 from chem, 1 from EMT, 1 from history

I feel I have too many schools on my list, any suggestions on ones that don't seem to fit? :thumbup:
Medical schools:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Los Angeles
UC Riverside
UC San Diego
USC
University of Arizona, Phoenix
University of Arizona, Tucson
George Washington
Georgetown
University of Miami
University of Central Florida
USF Health
University of Iowa
Rush
Loyola-Stritch
Tufts
Boston
St Louis
Creighton
SUNY Downstate
Mt Sinai
Case Western
Oregon Health and Science University
Jefferson Medical
Drexel
Temple
University of Virginia
University of Vermont
Florida Atlantic University

Thank you for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know much yet about applying to med school, but from what I gather from reading other comments here on this board, you seem like a good candidate. I wouldn't say your ECs are weak - two years of research, volunteering, shadowing... You hit a lot of the areas. Okay GPAs and decent MCAT... I see few schools on the list that are "dream schools", but you gotta have those (fun to think about going there!). Sorry if this isn't helpful, but I saw no one else posted so I wanted to throw in my two cents.

I don't know much yet about applying to med school, but from what I gather from reading other comments here on this board, you seem like a good candidate. I wouldn't say your ECs are weak - two years of research, volunteering, shadowing... You hit a lot of the areas. Okay GPAs and decent MCAT... I see few schools on the list that are "dream schools", but you gotta have those (fun to think about going there!). Sorry if this isn't helpful, but I saw no one else posted so I wanted to throw in my two cents.

Decent MCAT? A 36 MCAT is 96ish percentile...

Members don't see this ad :)

Only on SDN would a 36 MCAT be termed "decent"

Only on SDN would a 36 MCAT be termed "decent"

Entire pre-allo forum in a nutshell. But hey, high standards help. Aside from those unsightly ulcers.

But anyway, you're looking pretty darned solid, OP. Your GPA's a bit above average, your MCAT is good, and while your EC's are a little low on hours, the going abroad to the Philippines thing is bound to look great. On top of that, your list doesn't appear top heavy, and you applied quite broadly. Good stuff, I predict multiple interview offers in your future. Best of luck.

I think your packet looks highly competitive. Check the MSAR as to which OOS public schools are OOS friendly (I don't have mine handy) and so cull the herd a bit. Maybe throw Stanford on the list, and pull out GWU and Georgetown, given their high tuition. You can do better.

UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Los Angeles
UC Riverside
UC San Diego
USC
George Washington
Georgetown
University of Miami
USF Health
University of Iowa
Rush
Loyola-Stritch
Tufts
Boston
St Louis
Creighton
SUNY Downstate
Mt Sinai
Case Western
Jefferson Medical
Drexel
Temple
University of Virginia
University of Vermont

Hey thanks a lot for the replies. I guess I was over thinking things too much for the ECs after seeing everyone else's threads on here.

Why does everyone say George Washington and Georgetown have high tuition rates? Isn't there tuition only $51,278 and $50,901 respectively? Case Western, Boston University, University of Virginia, Temple, University of Vermont, Oregon Health and Science University, University of Central Florida, USF Health, SUNY Downstate, Tufts, and Florida Atlantic University (all on my list) have higher tuition rates.

I think your packet looks highly competitive. Check the MSAR as to which OOS public schools are OOS friendly (I don't have mine handy) and so cull the herd a bit. Maybe throw Stanford on the list, and pull out GWU and Georgetown, given their high tuition. You can do better.

UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Los Angeles
UC Riverside
UC San Diego
USC
George Washington
Georgetown
University of Miami
USF Health
University of Iowa
Rush
Loyola-Stritch
Tufts
Boston
St Louis
Creighton
SUNY Downstate
Mt Sinai
Case Western
Jefferson Medical
Drexel
Temple
University of Virginia
University of Vermont

I was going to say throw in Stanford too because of your great research!!!!

Why does everyone say George Washington and Georgetown have high tuition rates? Isn't there tuition only $51,278 and $50,901 respectively? Case Western, Boston University, University of Virginia, Temple, University of Vermont, Oregon Health and Science University, University of Central Florida, USF Health, SUNY Downstate, Tufts, and Florida Atlantic University (all on my list) have higher tuition rates.

That is a schools sticker price. Schools differ in the aid they offer and you also need to take living expenses inti account. I always say its expensive because in terms of average graduate debt which I would argue is more important to consider it is. I believe the us news and world report has lists of the most expensive medical schools and the Med schools that leave their grads with the most debt and Georgetown and Gw usually rank highly on these lists....