3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 33 MCAT, weak ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gumby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone willing to chance me? I know my GPA and MCAT are kind of average for MD schools, but I need some help comparing all this against my school list.

3.7/3.6 c/sGPA
MCAT: 10 P, 12 V, 11 B
Florida resident, University of Florida (graduated this past May), BS in Zoology, minor in Anthropology

ECs:
ED scribe - just started working as one full-time.
Hospital volunteering - 200 hrs
Shadowing - 20 hrs...10 gen surg, 10 neurosurg. Looking to get some peds shadowing in this summer.
Camp counselor (paid, 1 summer)
Premed club - I was very active and did some extra community service through it, but I wasn't a director nor did I do anything particularly important.
Volunteered for a project involving assisting students with disabilities at a local school with weight training, aerobic exercises, and playing team sports. Not many hours though (~70) since it often conflicted with my classes.
One summer volunteering in the Aquatics section of a science museum back home (feeding/cleaning after/generally caring for our stingrays and various fish, educating visitors on our specimens and just answering any questions, etc...about 160 hrs)
Research - lab assistant (unpaid). I helped collect data for one particular project, but I only did this for 1 summer and 1 fall. I'm open to doing research in medical school, but unfortunately I didn't enjoy it much as an undergrad. Although I left the project on good terms, I never saw the PI much and would feel strange asking him for an LOR. ~150 hrs.

Hobbies include running (I've run a half marathon and several 5Ks) and playing pool, which I did a lot in my spare time until one of my close friends started up a pool club, so I was active in that.

School list:
FAU
Florida State
U Central Florida
U Florida
U Miami
U South Florida
FIU
George Washington
Georgetown
Jefferson
Loma Linda
Loyola
NYMC
Rush
Temple
Tulane
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
I also have Duke, which I might replace with a different school since it's such a reach!

Sorry for the length! I'd appreciate any advice you have for me as to how I can edit my school list to something more appropriate if necessary. If you need any extra info, let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't get a big head, but your ECs are fine for the schools you're applying to. You could add a few reaches if you feel like it/have the money. Keeping Duke is fine.

Thanks! I'm not opposed to adding a few more schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure about Loma Linda?

Are you sure about Loma Linda?

According to the MSAR, my GPA is a bit lower than their median but my MCAT is above their median which does help. I don't mind that the school is religious. They also accept a good proportion of their students from OOS. It's very far from home for me, but if it happened to be my only acceptance, I'd go.

According to the MSAR, my GPA is a bit lower than their median but my MCAT is above their median which does help. I don't mind that the school is religious. They also accept a good proportion of their students from OOS. It's very far from home for me, but if it happened to be my only acceptance, I'd go.

As long as you would be okay with their lifestyle agreement.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you would be okay with their lifestyle agreement.

Thanks for letting me know about that, actually. Bit embarrassing on my part that I wasn't aware.

I've been considering adding Drexel so I wonder if that'd be a good replacement.

I'd add some more reaches besides Duke. Not anything too reach but like Emory and Cornell. Only problem is your lack of shadowing might make AdComs question your knowledge on the job but your hospital volunteering helps.