3.71 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, 26 on Kaplan diagnostic, 38 on Kaplan FL6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EthylMethylMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
White male NY resident, double major in forensic biology and premedical biology with a minor in chemistry. My school (University of New Haven) is known for its forensic science program, if that at all helps.

GPA by semester:
-Fall 2010: 3.39 (lowest grades: B- in genetics and general chemistry I lab)
-Spring 2011: 3.38 (lowest grade: C+ in general chemistry II lab)
-Fall 2011: 3.91 (lowest grade: B+ in organic chemistry I lab)
-Spring 2012: 3.69 (lowest grades: B+ in organic chemistry II lab and physics II)
-Fall 2012: 3.88 (lowest grades: A- in forensic biology and creative writing)
-Spring 2013: 4.00

Is the upward trend significant enough to be considered by AdComs?

A few key EC's:
-TA for the chemistry department for two semesters (since Fall 2012)
-Worked 400-ish hours over the Summer of 2011 at the emergency department of a local hospital with more responsibilities than a volunteer would have (can perform CPR on a patient if necessary, can transport more kinds of patients/samples, etc.)
-Volunteered 160+ hours over the Summer of 2012 in the emergency department of the very same local hospital (note: reason I didn't work for the second year is because the program was cut)
-This Summer, I will be doing clinical research for 16 hours a week at a different hospital than the one I was at for the past two years (note: can I still include this even though I'll have just started right as I'm going to be applying?)

I have a few others, but I'm unsure how relevant they'd be to AdComs. (i.e. I was on eboard for a school club for three semesters, but it wasn't at all an academic club even though it is a USGA recognized and funded club.)

I'm going to be taking the MCAT in early July, and am currently taking a Kaplan review course, hence the practice tests listed in the thread title. The 26 on the diagnostic was a bit discouraging, but the 39 (I made a typo in the title) made me feel a little more confident. However, I've heard the FL6 is a bit easier and graded rather easily compared to others. Is this the case? If so, is there an at least somewhat reliable conversion table for scores from that exam?

Schools I'm currently planning on applying to:
*I'm aware that a few of these are stretches (Yale, Brown, etc.); a lot of the choices were influenced by proximity to where I live, so any other recommendations are more than welcome.
-Albert Einstein College of Medicine
-Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
-Georgetown University School of Medicine
-Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
-Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
-Mount Sinai School of Medicine
-New York University
-Pennsylvania State University School of Medicine
-Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
-Rush Medical College
-Stony Brook University School of Medicine
-SUNY at Buffalo School of Medicine
-The Commonwealth Medical College
-University of Massachusetts Medical School
-Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
-Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
-Yale University School of Medicine

Thanks a lot for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A 38 is certainly an impressive score. I took a Kaplan course too and one of the things that my instructor told us was that the only reliable indicator of what you may score on the real mcat are the official AAMC practice tests. I would take those practice tests before taking the Kaplan ones.

A 38 is certainly an impressive score. I took a Kaplan course too and one of the things that my instructor told us was that the only reliable indicator of what you may score on the real mcat are the official AAMC practice tests. I would take those practice tests before taking the Kaplan ones.

Too early to say chances with practice scores your talking about ranging from 26 to 39...

In regard to your ec question I would personally include it if you have already started even if its a weekvor two but not if you hadn't started it at all yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not a MA resident, don't bother applying to Umass.

As others have mentioned, a Kaplan score is kind of useless to predict your actual score. The AAMC tests are a much better indicator of how you might do. Currently, your list is very top heavy, but if you do actually score a 38, it could suit you well.

Too early to say chances with practice scores your talking about ranging from 26 to 39...

In regard to your ec question I would personally include it if you have already started even if its a weekvor two but not if you hadn't started it at all yet...

If you're not a MA resident, don't bother applying to Umass.

As others have mentioned, a Kaplan score is kind of useless to predict your actual score. The AAMC tests are a much better indicator of how you might do. Currently, your list is very top heavy, but if you do actually score a 38, it could suit you well.

Got it, I'll take one of the AAMC ones and get back to you guys.

This may sound a bit silly, but darkjedi, in what ways is my list top heavy?