3.74 cGPA, 3.76 sGPA, no MCAT yet. Looking for a general idea of how I stand at this moment.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kneq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

GPA and MCAT info are posted in title. Senior, double major in MCDB and Neuroscience. I will be taking the MCAT this spring.

ECs:
- Work: Lab Assistant (2 years) and TA for into MCDB (1 year. I did not expect to love teaching as much as I do now. I learned some very good transferable life skills from doing this)
- Volunteer: Medical Mission to Nicaragua, nursing home (2 years, ~250 hours. I was in the memory care facility interacting and talking with residents. A very eye opening and worth while experience).
- Shadowing: ~20 hours with a pediatric oncologist, 8 hours with an MTU nurse (really gave me a newfound appreciation of the nursing community). I plan on doing more shadowing once at graduate this December.
- I did get my EMT certification this past summer so I am looking for work with that.
- Outside of academia and science I am a musician (drummer - been doing this for about 13 years now) that is in a band that is somewhat locally known. We are in the process of recording an album and shooting a music video which I am very excited about.

I know lack of an MCAT score makes this a little more difficult, but it would be greatly appreciated if I could get some idea of where I stand and what I could do to improve.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty simple:
508+ would put you in a competitive position for lower tier MD programs. Even a 505+ could perhaps give you a fighting chance for some programs, particularly those in your state.
514+ would put you in a competitive position for lower tier and a number of medium tier MD programs
516+ would begin to put you in a competitive position for some of the bigger name reach programs. The higher you can get above a 516, the more competitive you can be.

So as you can probably figure out, the MCAT will decide your fate and where you stand.