3.74c, 3.74s, MCAT 32 (12/9/11) school list help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pandaeac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Right now I have about 30 (maybe a few more?) MD schools I'm thinking of applying to, but I'd really like to get it down to about 20, maybe 22 or 23. I'd love advice on which to cut, or possibly others to add.

Here's my information: Went to a small, private university in New England, graduated in 2009 as a psychology major, c3.74, s3.74-3.78 (depending on which of my classes end up counting as science), MCAT 32 (12, 9, 11), state of residency: CA

ECs:

Roughly 3 years as a clinical research assistant in a major hospital (a lot of research experience here, dozens of hours recruiting patients, phlebotomy certified, dozens of hours shadowing my bosses in the OR)

20 hours shadowing a primary care physician

two publications (one where I'm listed as second author)

2 semesters volunteering for 8 hours a week at a club house for adults with mental illness (this was part of a class)

Week long volunteering trip with habitat for humanity

16 hours teaching classes to elderly women about fall prevention

co-president of dance club senior year of college

3 months of a research internship in Sydney, Australia at UNSW

Deans list every semester of college

Schools List

Vanderbilt (I know this one is a huge reach, but my SO will be attending grad school there and my previous bosses are both on the faculty here)

All UC schools
Harvard (again I know a big reach, but my grandfather was in med school here, so, applying for family reasons)
Oakland Beaumont
Emory
Duke
NYU
Columbia
Tulane
Hofstra
NY Medical college
Albany
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
USC
UVM
Tufts
Jefferson
Loyola
Brown
Rochester
BU
Creighton
Einstein

Members don't see this ad.

I'd probably drop Brown since they accept a bunch of people through linkage programs and UCR since they're really tailoring their class to people with strong connections to that particular area (unless you're from Riverside, then you're perfect for them!) NYU, Duke, and Columbia may be a tiny bit of a stretch if you're really searching for schools to cut.

It's honestly hard for me to cut other schools out of your list since they mainly seem like good choices. What you really have to ask yourself is if you got accepted to that school would you be happy there? For example: I might replace Rosalind Franklin with Rush since Rosalind isn't actually IN Chicago, but rather North Chicago (if that matters to you at all). It seems like you have a really good broad list of schools not only across rank, but also across geographical location, which is a great thing!

I'd probably drop Brown since they accept a bunch of people through linkage programs and UCR since they're really tailoring their class to people with strong connections to that particular area (unless you're from Riverside, then you're perfect for them!) NYU, Duke, and Columbia may be a tiny bit of a stretch if you're really searching for schools to cut.

It's honestly hard for me to cut other schools out of your list since they mainly seem like good choices. What you really have to ask yourself is if you got accepted to that school would you be happy there? For example: I might replace Rosalind Franklin with Rush since Rosalind isn't actually IN Chicago, but rather North Chicago (if that matters to you at all). It seems like you have a really good broad list of schools not only across rank, but also across geographical location, which is a great thing!
Thank you so much for your advice! I've been hearing that eliminating Brown and UCR is a good idea. I think I'll decide between NYU and Columbia and only apply to one. Any advice on which to pick?

Members don't see this ad :)

+1 to that statement. The easiest way to cut out schools is to remove the ones you can't see yourself happily spending the next 4 years of your life. I'm sure you like all of these schools, but there are probably a handful that stick out as less desirable in your mind.

Yep, I second drop Brown, Duke, and Columbia. Also, BU and Wake get TONS of applicants each year, so your odds are a bit lower for them.

+1 to that statement. The easiest way to cut out schools is to remove the ones you can't see yourself happily spending the next 4 years of your life. I'm sure you like all of these schools, but there are probably a handful that stick out as less desirable in your mind.

Yep, I second drop Brown, Duke, and Columbia. Also, BU and Wake get TONS of applicants each year, so your odds are a bit lower for them.
Thanks for the advice! I really like the idea of being in North Carolina (esp. since my odds at Vandy are very low), so that's why I wanted to apply to Wake, but, I've also been in Boston for a few years and went to college here, so, do you think I'd have a better shot at BU than Wake? My main concern with BU was that I don't have a ton of volunteer experience.

Also wondering if anyone knows of any schools where my 9 in VR is around their median (or at least not below their 10th percentile!), that take OOS applicants. Also, forgot to mention earlier that I'm not an URM.

MCAT too low for the Ivies. Definitely try your state schools, if any. Avoid other public MD schools as they favor the home team, and I think your MCAT might hinder you.

BUT, it MAY be worth trying the state schools surrounding your own home state.

My suggestions and comments below
Vanderbilt (seems possible)

Oakland Beaumont
Emory (possible)
Duke
NYU (possible)
Tulane
Hofstra
NY Medical college
Albany
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
USC
Tufts
Jefferson
Loyola
Rochester
BU
Creighton
Einstein
Mt Sinai
Temple
Rush
GWU
Georgetown
Tulane

MCAT too low for the Ivies. Definitely try your state schools, if any. Avoid other public MD schools as they favor the home team, and I think your MCAT might hinder you.

BUT, it MAY be worth trying the state schools surrounding your own home state.

My suggestions and comments below
Vanderbilt (seems possible)

Oakland Beaumont
Emory (possible)
Duke
NYU (possible)
Tulane
Hofstra
NY Medical college
Albany
Drexel
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
USC
Tufts
Jefferson
Loyola
Rochester
BU
Creighton
Einstein
Mt Sinai
Temple
Rush
GWU
Georgetown
Tulane
Thanks so much! Are you saying the schools you didn't write anything next to are not likely? Or just that the ones that you wrote possible next to are stretches?

Thanks again!