3.87/3.81 sGPA 30 MCAT - Help on schools to add

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tewpac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, new here and looking to get some help on my school list. I've been seeing that the general consensus on here (with my stats) is to apply to ~15-20 schools. I'm looking to get some input on my current list and any new suggestions for schools OOS. Thanks!

- NY Resident

GPA: 3.87
sGPA: 3.81
MCAT: 30 (only took it once)

My E/Cs are pretty straightforward:
- Research w/ anesthesia department and emergency department
- Hospital Volunteering
- Shadowing: Family med and EM
- Worked in private practice (family medicine) for a year
- Various other non-medical related work experience
- Volunteering/heavily involved at local food pantry (~2 yrs now)

My letters are good (I know I have at least one extremely good one), and my PS is strong from what I've heard.

Here's my list so far:

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein COM
NYMC
NYU
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel University
Penn State
Temple
Hofstra
SUNY Buffalo

Let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is your 30 a balanced score with no sections below a 9? If so then your numbers look good. I would suggest adding the following:

Cooper
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Quinnipiac
Jefferson
MCW
Oakland
Commonwealth
University of Vermont

Note that Georgetown and George Washington get lots of applicants and many people consider these schools kind of reachy due to that. I am applying to them however and I have very similar stats as you.

My score is (11PS, 8VR, 11BS), so not balanced. How much of a difference do you think that makes? Obviously it's not ideal but does it break me?

Also, took a quick look at the schools you mentioned and they're great man! I'll most likely stay away from Georgetown/George Washington because of the high app numbers that you mentioned, but I'll look more into those two before I make a decision. I want to keep my schools list as good a fit for me as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
My score is (11PS, 8VR, 11BS), so not balanced. How much of a difference do you think that makes? Obviously it's not ideal but does it break me?

Also, took a quick look at the schools you mentioned and they're great man! I'll most likely stay away from Georgetown/George Washington because of the high app numbers that you mentioned, but I'll look more into those two before I make a decision. I want to keep my schools list as good a fit for me as possible.

The 8 in verbal will certainly not tank your application. It is less than ideal but as long as the rest of your app is strong (and it looks like it is) I'm sure you'll be fine. I hear that 7 or lower can be the application killer.

Yeah an 8 is cutting it close but you're right I think the rest of my app can pick up the slack from there.

Other than that thanks for the input (I think I can put together a good list of about 20 schools now), and good luck!

Decent list, but the MCAT is well below avg for NYU and Einstein. I'd add SUNY Stony Brook, Jefferson, Rowan-NJ, Quinnipac, and if you really wanna stay in NY, NYCOM and Touro-Harlem. Maybe U VT, but give them a call and see if you're competitive.
Loyola, GWU, Georgetown, Creighton, MCW and SLU are options as well.

Here's my list so far:

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein COM
NYMC
NYU
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel University
Penn State
Temple
Hofstra
SUNY Buffalo

Decent list, but the MCAT is well below avg for NYU and Einstein. I'd add SUNY Stony Brook, Jefferson, Rowan-NJ, Quinnipac, and if you really wanna stay in NY, NYCOM and Touro-Harlem. Maybe U VT, but give them a call and see if you're competitive.

Goro, I'm wondering why you would recommend Rowan since it is a state school and Op is a NY resident?

I have no strong feeling towards staying in NY, my goal is getting into medical school (not really sure if I have the luxury of picking and choosing anyway). I do have ties to NYU but true Einstein is a stretch, I'll probably take it off my list.

All the suggestions have been great, the schools I added are in bold. Thanks again everyone!

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein COM
NYMC
NYU
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel University
Penn State
Temple
Hofstra
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Stony Brook
Creighton
MCW
Quinnipiac
Loyola
SLU
George Washington
University of Vermont

I have no strong feeling towards staying in NY, my goal is getting into medical school (not really sure if I have the luxury of picking and choosing anyway). I do have ties to NYU but true Einstein is a stretch, I'll probably take it off my list.

All the suggestions have been great, the schools I added are in bold. Thanks again everyone!

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein COM
NYMC
NYU
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel University
Penn State
Temple
Hofstra
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Stony Brook
Creighton
MCW
Quinnipiac
Loyola
SLU
George Washington
University of Vermont

Just an n=1, but I would personally leave Einstein on your list. I had a 29 (with an 8V also) and was accepted to Einstein. It looks like you have a good amount of research, which is why (I think) I was given an ii. If you did your research for two years continuously and have a few poster presentations/conference presentations/publications/some combination of these, then you should definitely apply.

Also, as another suggestion, I would also add Rush. They like a lot of volunteering, and your time at the food pantry will stand out to them!

Just an n=1, but I would personally leave Einstein on your list. I had a 29 (with an 8V also) and was accepted to Einstein. It looks like you have a good amount of research, which is why (I think) I was given an ii. If you did your research for two years continuously and have a few poster presentations/conference presentations/publications/some combination of these, then you should definitely apply.

Also, as another suggestion, I would also add Rush. They like a lot of volunteering, and your time at the food pantry will stand out to them!

Well that's always nice to hear, and actually if you think they put a good emphasis on the research, my research was actually done at the hospital affiliated with Einstein, so that might help a bit. I will definitely keep them on the list, and I'll take a closer look at Rush as well.

Thanks for the input!