3 rejections, no II, something wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I seriously doubt the phone call led to the interview...just a situation where the "check was in the mail".
Good luck!

INTERVIEW INVITE!

This is the strange thing. I emailed a school that I've been complete for a while, and soon after, the school responded to my email saying that I've been invited to an interview. I was told to call them to schedule the interview, and after calling, I received the formal II in my email.

It seems that things like this happens quite often? If I hadn't contacted this school, will I still have received an II? Can anyone chime in?

@Goro
@user3

Members don't see this ad.

INTERVIEW INVITE!

This is the strange thing. I emailed a school that I've been complete for a while, and soon after, the school responded to my email saying that I've been invited to an interview. I was told to call them to schedule the interview, and after calling, I received the formal II in my email.

It seems that things like this happens quite often? If I hadn't contacted this school, will I still have received an II? Can anyone chime in?

@Goro
@user3

Congrats dude! Good news must be coming in pairs...got an ii myself!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For DO schools, would an interview in January - March still be viable? I've heard that at may MD schools, interviews after December are mostly for wait-list positions. But if most DO schools interview until April-May, I would hope that an interview after the new year would still mean a great shot at outright acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
@seanlee : did you ever end up calling any of the schoolsthat outright rejected you and inquired what went wrong?

@seanlee : did you ever end up calling any of the schoolsthat outright rejected you and inquired what went wrong?

One of them told me that they'll put me on a contact list and automatically contact me/give me feedback around April, when things quiet down for this cycle. Another one told me that I was not a good fit, whatever that means. And the third, well, they aren't very good at responding to anything.

Reactions: 1 user
For DO schools, would an interview in January - March still be viable? I've heard that at may MD schools, interviews after December are mostly for wait-list positions. But if most DO schools interview until April-May, I would hope that an interview after the new year would still mean a great shot at outright acceptance.
I interviewed in April last year and got accepted if that helps to answer your question

I have another concern. I did NOT authorize AACOMAS to release my application information to my premed adviser/service at my undergraduate institute. Would this negatively impact my application in ANY way?

I have another concern. I did NOT authorize AACOMAS to release my application information to my premed adviser/service at my undergraduate institute. Would this negatively impact my application in ANY way?

Same here, didn't authorize. I don't think it should be a big deal, especially if you didn't use a committee letter?

Same here, didn't authorize. I don't think it should be a big deal, especially if you didn't use a committee letter?

No committee letter. I can't believe that I am worrying about these things...I mean, of course schools shouldn't negatively view applicants who didn't authorize release. But what if some think along this train of thought: "hmmm, this individual didn't authorize release of information. How inconsiderate towards others! DENY!"

No committee letter. I can't believe that I am worrying about these things...I mean, of course schools shouldn't negatively view applicants who didn't authorize release. But what if some think along this train of thought: "hmmm, this individual didn't authorize release of information. How inconsiderate towards others! DENY!"
Sean, the schools don't know who you release your application to. I think that feature is just meant for LOR's

Or "what a jerk! He will probably not let us know about residency applications, either! Reject promptly"

Sean, the schools don't know who you release your application to. I think that feature is just meant for LOR's

I think schools can see it on your AACOMAS. If you click on your app next to "released to xyz school" it will come us next to your biographical data: "Authorized release: NO"

I think schools can see it on your AACOMAS. If you click on your app next to "released to xyz school" it will come us next to your biographical data: "Authorized release: NO"

Exactly. That's what I am talking about. Maybe I am just being neurotic and overly looking into everything.

Exactly. That's what I am talking about. Maybe I am just being neurotic and overly looking into everything.
Regardless of whether they can see it or not, I didn't click it last year and I was a super late application and it didn't affect me in the least. I don't really see how it would matter.

If you are getting rejections, it may stem from your personal statement or one of your LOR's. As far as the other schools that haven't sent you an ii yet, just give them time. You won't get silent rejections this early on and the other schools haven't given you a straight out rejection yet, so there is still a chance. Instead, I think you should be focusing on the interviews that you DO have and preparing yourself in the best manner possible. You can't excel at an interview if you're constantly worrying about what other schools you HAVEN'T heard back from yet.

"Interestingly, I noticed another user here with almost identical grades as yours but a 24. They actually received 5 ii's, including 2 of those schools, which kind of makes me speechless."

It really shouldn't. Yea, that's a pretty questionable MCAT, but you've been around enough to have picked up on the fact that the numbers game often is secondary to deeper considerations. I would hazard to argue that that's about as low as it gets though. :D I've said this before and I'll say it again. In the same interview session, I've seen applicants with objectively high stats get waitlisted while another applicant with average stats was recommended for scholarships. As a trained student interviewer, it really isn't all about the numbers.

"Honestly, I think that some DO schools may be assuming that with a 33 MCAT and those grades and EC's you'll get into a lot of allopathic schools, and will just automatically choose MD. I think it's really unfortunate if they think that, because I know more and more pre-meds who are admitted to both and choose DO."

Also, there (at least here at DMU) isn't any such thing as a preemptive rejection based on stellar stats. One of my best friends here has a 4.0/35. What will tank odds, for example, is if you're not convincingly able to express your understanding and commitment to the DO route. You might actually be surprised how much of a difference the things you say/write in your interviews/applications make on your odds at getting accepted to a medical school.

"Interestingly, I noticed another user here with almost identical grades as yours but a 24. They actually received 5 ii's, including 2 of those schools, which kind of makes me speechless."

It really shouldn't. Yea, that's a pretty questionable MCAT, but you've been around enough to have picked up on the fact that the numbers game often is secondary to deeper considerations. I would hazard to argue that that's about as low as it gets though. :D I've said this before and I'll say it again. In the same interview session, I've seen applicants with objectively high stats get waitlisted while another applicant with average stats was recommended for scholarships. As a trained student interviewer, it really isn't all about the numbers.

"Honestly, I think that some DO schools may be assuming that with a 33 MCAT and those grades and EC's you'll get into a lot of allopathic schools, and will just automatically choose MD. I think it's really unfortunate if they think that, because I know more and more pre-meds who are admitted to both and choose DO."

Also, there (at least here at DMU) isn't any such thing as a preemptive rejection based on stellar stats. One of my best friends here has a 4.0/35. What will tank odds, for example, is if you're not convincingly able to express your understanding and commitment to the DO route. You might actually be surprised how much of a difference the things you say/write in your interviews/applications make on your odds at getting accepted to a medical school.
guess we see differently, but personally, I like numbers...and I would like to see DO schools get them as high as they can. I have a visceral aversion to sub-par stats. People can easily BS their interest in osteopathic medicine, most EC's, and interview answers anyway--nevermind that these hold little value in predicting one's success in medical school.

That's not an unfair view. I think numbers are important, but I don't believe they should be solely prioritized. Yes, get people who can be trained as effective physicians. By all means, meet at least a reasonable threshold for aptitude. You say you have an aversion to sub-par stats. What is par? With the < 5% drop rate, I'd say par is largely met. In my opinion, that's when making the best possible assessment of character and values becomes important.

You say that people can easily BS the non-metrics. I'll grant you that some people can. It's not easy, and most people are not good at it. With that said, BS is a brittle tower that's easy to anticipate and even easier to break. I always encourage people to be real. Sincerity shows.

But why does it actually matter? Why should we care if a physician is sincere, compassionate, personable as long as they're smart enough to succeed in the curriculum? User3, what matters to you beyond numbers and why?

What a roller coaster ride this thread has been. Pretty interesting to see the different reactions it has elicited.