3 year vs 4 year pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doh1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

Recently I’ve been accepted to both 3 and 4 year pharmacy schools. However I have encountered a dilemma. The tuition for both schools (both the 3 year accelerated and the 4 year school) are roughly the same so the tuition isn’t really a major deciding factor.

At the 3 year school I will graduate one year early however the four year school is an overall better school. I think at the four year I would have less stress since I would have summers off while the 3 year school is year round. However, the 3 Year school is in a MUCH more desirable location that I would like to be in. The four year school is closer to home.

Currently I am 26 years old. Is a 4 year program appropriate for someone of my age or should I do a 3 year program because I’ve wasted too much time.

FYI-I will be 27 at the start of the program

Please let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, in the grand scheme of things, you're not really that far "behind," as many people choose to change careers later in life. My dad for example has worked in radio, in travel, and now he works in IT - and he still isn't sure he wants to stay there. For a more relevant example, a solid chunk of my class is made up of non-traditional students like yourself. It's not really uncommon. The TL;DR here is don't stress about some useless "timeline." :)

I wouldn't assume that just because you have summers off means that you would be less stressed. Many pharmacy students intern during school. Year-round employers will want you to work more hours in the summer, sometimes up to 40 hours per week, since you don't have school. Don't discount the benefits of having an intern job either - many employers choose to hire new pharmacists from within. In other words, it will be easier to get a job after graduation if you have an internship during school. Don't assume your rotations/IPPEs/APPEs will suffice.

You say the tuition is roughly the same for both schools; I'll assume you're accounting for the length of each program (i.e. if both schools were $30k per year there would be a significant benefit to the 3 year program). Have you considered cost of living? If one school is in a major metropolitan area and the other is in BFE there will be a significant difference in COL that you may need to cover with savings or loans.

You mention the 4 year program is closer to home; what are the benefits for you in that? Is it cheaper? Do you like the area? Is it the familiarity? Do you like to be close to specific features that only your hometown/state has? Do you like living close to your friends and/or family? For example, a major reason I chose the school I did is because it meant I could live at home with my parents rent-free. My COL is close to zero which means I can focus on school instead of bills. If it's being close to family/friends, remember that there's always the option to travel home for breaks and holidays, as long as you factor that into the total cost of the 3 year program.

Now on the other hand, it sounds like the 3 year program is located in an area that is more like where you would want to live after graduation. I would consider this an important factor and weigh it heavily! It will be easier for you to get a job in a location you want if you are already familiar with the hiring managers in that area (again going back to getting an internship while in pharmacy school if possible). However, saturation is a problem in our industry. You may want to consider talking to a few pharmacists in that area, particularly recent grads if you can find them, and ask if they felt it was easy to get a job post-graduation in the area (both physical location and "retail vs. hospital," etc) that they wanted.

Finally, and this is my personal opinion, I think each school's NAPLEX pass rates, residency match rates, and on-time graduation rates should be important numbers to consider. This is another major reason I chose the school I did; it had a 10% higher NAPLEX pass rate than another school I applied to.

What matters most to me in picking a pharmacy school will be different than what matters most to you. That's why I've tried to avoid giving you a cut-and-dry answer. I think it's better for you to do some self-reflection and decide what is important to you. Regardless, I hope this was helpful and good luck in your career! :)

Reactions: 2 users
First off, in the grand scheme of things, you're not really that far "behind," as many people choose to change careers later in life. My dad for example has worked in radio, in travel, and now he works in IT - and he still isn't sure he wants to stay there. For a more relevant example, a solid chunk of my class is made up of non-traditional students like yourself. It's not really uncommon. The TL;DR here is don't stress about some useless "timeline." :)

I wouldn't assume that just because you have summers off means that you would be less stressed. Many pharmacy students intern during school. Year-round employers will want you to work more hours in the summer, sometimes up to 40 hours per week, since you don't have school. Don't discount the benefits of having an intern job either - many employers choose to hire new pharmacists from within. In other words, it will be easier to get a job after graduation if you have an internship during school. Don't assume your rotations/IPPEs/APPEs will suffice.

You say the tuition is roughly the same for both schools; I'll assume you're accounting for the length of each program (i.e. if both schools were $30k per year there would be a significant benefit to the 3 year program). Have you considered cost of living? If one school is in a major metropolitan area and the other is in BFE there will be a significant difference in COL that you may need to cover with savings or loans.

You mention the 4 year program is closer to home; what are the benefits for you in that? Is it cheaper? Do you like the area? Is it the familiarity? Do you like to be close to specific features that only your hometown/state has? Do you like living close to your friends and/or family? For example, a major reason I chose the school I did is because it meant I could live at home with my parents rent-free. My COL is close to zero which means I can focus on school instead of bills. If it's being close to family/friends, remember that there's always the option to travel home for breaks and holidays, as long as you factor that into the total cost of the 3 year program.

Now on the other hand, it sounds like the 3 year program is located in an area that is more like where you would want to live after graduation. I would consider this an important factor and weigh it heavily! It will be easier for you to get a job in a location you want if you are already familiar with the hiring managers in that area (again going back to getting an internship while in pharmacy school if possible). However, saturation is a problem in our industry. You may want to consider talking to a few pharmacists in that area, particularly recent grads if you can find them, and ask if they felt it was easy to get a job post-graduation in the area (both physical location and "retail vs. hospital," etc) that they wanted.

Finally, and this is my personal opinion, I think each school's NAPLEX pass rates, residency match rates, and on-time graduation rates should be important numbers to consider. This is another major reason I chose the school I did; it had a 10% higher NAPLEX pass rate than another school I applied to.

What matters most to me in picking a pharmacy school will be different than what matters most to you. That's why I've tried to avoid giving you a cut-and-dry answer. I think it's better for you to do some self-reflection and decide what is important to you. Regardless, I hope this was helpful and good luck in your career! :)

Thanks for the response!!

Yes I have factored in the costs of extra years and they are about the same. I agree with you in the aspect that I would want to live in the location after I graduate.

The area that’s closer to home (the four year school) is where I completed my undergraduate degree so I still have friends out there and I am familiar with the area. From what I’ve researched both schools have above par Naplex passing rates so I’m not too worried about it. But I do believe the 4 year school has a higher naplex passing rate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nontrad myself going to attend a 3 year program. Reason being is I’ve spent a few years working in the pharmacy field (military) with decent networking abilities. So, myself “interning” isn’t as big of an outline on my radar (disabled vet that has experience using the VA pharmacy software system). Plus, free tuition and housing.

That being said, if I didn’t have a networking connection or experience with the Department of Defense and Veteran Affairs, I’d hands down go to a 4 year program to build an internal connection with my intern part-time work. With a 3 year program chances are you won’t (nor could for some) be working enough hours (if any) as an intern to make a decent impression on a manager.

It sounds like cost of living and networking will be your factors. To each their own, but sounds like your outside expenses going to the 4 year near your area may be to your advantage if it means bumming off relatives rent free. However, if the 3 year has a desirable location that is not a highly sought after “saturated region” then your only concern is can you avoid being burnt out after 36 months in a row of studying.

Lastly, age is a number: I wouldn’t dictate a 3 year program solely on being 27 when school starts.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn’t have free room and board anywhere I went but at the 4 year my parents are only an hour and a half drive away so it can be somewhat beneficial

hey all,
Currently I am 26 years old. Is a 4 year program appropriate for someone of my age or should I do a 3 year program because I’ve wasted too much time.

FYI-I will be 27 at the start of the program

I am also a non-traditional student (and several years older than you), but I chose to do the 4 year route. I have different deciding factors though - I have a family to think about.

I think ultimately, it is which ever plan works best for you. But certainly do not let your age factor into your decision.

Reactions: 1 user
You generally do NOT want to attend a 3 year program if there is a reputable 4 year program to attend.

Unless there was a significant difference (over $75,000) I wouldn’t even think twice.

I always knew in the back of my mind that 4 year schools are looked more favorably upon than 3 year schools with a few exceptions (i.e.-MCPHS). Would it be more difficult to find a residency if one were to attend one of these 3 year programs? In your opinion what are the reputable 3 year programs?

By cramming 4 years into 3 you are putting your mental and physical health at risk, while also reducing your ability to network and gain experience by 1 year. You also disqualify yourself from being able to go back home during “breaks” and interning.

From what I’ve seen many people that have attended “3 year programs” haven’t had too much trouble finding a residency. Is the stress and limited time to make connections the main detrimental factors?

I am very familiar with 3-year PharmD programs. In my experience, students who are most successful in 3-yr programs tend to be more mature individuals with a bit of life experience. That can include career changers, for instance. Three-year programs are intense, and are stressful on the student and his/her family. I believe your advantage as an "older" student makes you a better candidate for a 3-year program, rather than the false assumption you've "lost time." My ultimate advice would be to choose a school where the faculty are a warm, family-like group, and where you have a welcoming experience during the interview(s).

ThePharmacyCoach | [email protected]