35% of female physicians are not married?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The other slightly troubling reading I'm getting from some of these posts is this spiteful attitude of "well, you women are getting what you deserve for trying to play on the same field as men... if you end up old and alone you're only getting what you deserve for being a competitive arrogant flat-chested unfeminine smart-ass". If that's the prevailing attitude among men, all I can say is that those 35% of unmarried female doctors are being spared some serious crap. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I think a problem is with premeds and med students is that they don't go out as much as other people because they are more focused in school. I know I only go out a fraction as my other friends, which is how they usually meet guys. If you have more time to go out and do things, you have more chance to meet guys. So basically I really don't think any other women are more attractive than female doctors (because I personally feel intelligence is very attractive anyways), but I think it comes down to right place at the right time (and having more time and hence more chances to meet guys).

Noeljan said:
I think a problem is with premeds and med students is that they don't go out as much as other people because they are more focused in school. I know I only go out a fraction as my other friends, which is how they usually meet guys. If you have more time to go out and do things, you have more chance to meet guys. So basically I really don't think any other women are more attractive than female doctors (because I personally feel intelligence is very attractive anyways), but I think it comes down to right place at the right time (and having more time and hence more chances to meet guys).

yeah - I'm a certified nerd -- I met my beau in the library.

Members don't see this ad :)
leechy said:
The other slightly troubling reading I'm getting from some of these posts is this spiteful attitude of "well, you women are getting what you deserve for trying to play on the same field as men... if you end up old and alone you're only getting what you deserve for being a competitive arrogant flat-chested unfeminine smart-ass". If that's the prevailing attitude among men, all I can say is that those 35% of unmarried female doctors are being spared some serious crap. :laugh:

"Don't you want somebody to love? Don't you need somebody to love? Wouldn't you like somebody to love? You better find somebody to love." Man laughs at things because they are too sad to cry about :). :laugh:

Acherona said:
Men on the other hand will never be able to produce and rear children without women. Not to mention that most rely on their wives for almost all household-related issues. It is clear that females are the more self-sufficient sex and will therefore assert their independence until they find someone they actually like.

RATS. I know my biological clock is ticking. :rolleyes:

!dr_nick! said:
RATS. I know my biological clock is ticking. :rolleyes:

I read a news article today that a 67 year old woman is pregnant (via IVF) with twins. The fertilized egg is from her niece so as long as you've got a young whipper snapper to hit up you're covered.

MedicineBird said:
I read a news article today that a 67 year old woman is pregnant (via IVF) with twins. The fertilized egg is from her niece so as long as you've got a young whipper snapper to hit up you're covered.

Yes...after a sucessful career as a medical professional at the age of 67 MedicineBird fornicated with an 18 year old male. The hot 18 year old former chip and dales dancer said "we are in love....atleast i like her money....uhhhh never mind... Come here sweet heart!"

Llenroc said:
It's not that women doctors have standards that are too high.

I think it's moreso that women doctors are undesireable wives.

Most guys get married because they want to have kids. They want a wife who can raise those kids.

Women doctors don't get out of their residencies until they are 30-35. At that point, there is a higher risk of birth defects if they have children. Also, they will be too busy with their careers to make good Moms.

Llenroc, you've broken the code. As I said elsewhere, why should a successful, intelligent man want to marry a woman who is more interested in changing a stranger's catheter than her own baby's diaper in the middle of the night?

Not that there's anything wrong with women wanting to be doctors - if that's what you want to do, go for it. But understand that every decision in life has an opportunity cost associated with it and if the pursuit of your career makes you a less eligible woman in the eyes of successful men, well...that's life.

I suspect that's why you see women doctors end up with guys in everything from blue collar occupations on down the line - if they end up with a guy at all. Someone like that sees a meal ticket - a more successful guy says to himself, "I don't have to put up with this!"

MedicineBird said:

She must be a very selfish person to make a decision that will virtually assure that her children will be orphans by the time they graduate from high school - and perhaps much sooner than that.

"Sally, can you go to the prom next month?"

"Sorry Jeff - I spend my weekends at home changing my mother's diapers."

It is pretty simple:

If you are attractive somebody will marry you..... If you are attractive and arrogant maybe a low self-esteem nerd will take a chance on you... If you are average yet humble you have hope... If you are average and arrogant forget it!!!!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Old_Mil said:
She must be a very selfish person to make a decision that will virtually assure that her children will be orphans by the time they graduate from high school - and perhaps much sooner than that.

"

I actually remember hearing something about this, and i think the 67 year old was actually just a surogate mother for her daughter.

Old_Mil said:
Llenroc, you've broken the code. As I said elsewhere, why should a successful, intelligent man want to marry a woman who is more interested in changing a stranger's catheter than her own baby's diaper in the middle of the night?

Not that there's anything wrong with women wanting to be doctors - if that's what you want to do, go for it. But understand that every decision in life has an opportunity cost associated with it and if the pursuit of your career makes you a less eligible woman in the eyes of successful men, well...that's life.

I suspect that's why you see women doctors end up with guys in everything from blue collar occupations on down the line - if they end up with a guy at all. Someone like that sees a meal ticket - a more successful guy says to himself, "I don't have to put up with this!"

i agree. While I am not primarily worried about having my wife as a care giver to my children or housekeeper, as I can hire both, I want a woman who would be willing to sacrifice career, in some capacities, to ensure that she can retain most of the traditional family oriented responsibilities of a woman.

I think most women who are successful careerwise tend to have masculine characteristics that are unappealing to most men. Ambition, intelligence, and personality can all be sexy, but not when coupled with competitiveness and entitlement. When we hear about women's careers and how men ought to pick up the slack, no one mentions the ego that comes with such a career. I think men can be very accomodating, but just as a woman does not want to be known for masculine traits, such as being aggressive, loud, unkempt, competitive...a man does not want to be known as being passive, soft, and other feminine qualities. Very few men want to be emasculized for the remainder of their lives, and even though women joke about "whipping" their man, I doubt many woman want a man they can push around either.

I want to marry a female doctor. I think that we all choose this profession for the same reasons, essentially, and it was probably the most educated decision we could make. I don't see anything wrong with doing what you're good at and being well compensated for it. I think someone doing nursing would only do it if they are incapable of being a doctor, for whatever reason, and I would not treat them equally. therefore I could not have a successful relationship with them. If you don't like my reasoning, you don't have to marry me. Its my preference, and it applies to nearly every field, from engineering to even law (with the case of people doing law, they often are finacially well off, not as much as doctors but still good...but they have different personality traits than the science-y types we have here).

I've dated many girls and most of them have pride in what they do, and it becomes annoying when you have no respect for their career. I am thinking: "I don't care if you're goign to be a teacher and you tell me how tough it is these days; why would you do it? its a low end low prestige job...either you're incapable of something better or just senseless. Either way this won't work out."

I like most of you, had many options, and I chose this profession. Its a smart choice. Who better partner than an equal? of course, there needs to be a female/ male dynamic, where I am recognized as a man and she is a woman. But i think most MARRIED women are comfortable with this notion.

Now, for those who feel being a woman, in the traditional sense, is beneath them, they are either confined to be being perpetual singles or round two's for divorced men.

I think americans don't plan enough for family in general, so thats why so many divorces. People need to not only base marriages on love, but also on family and career compatibility. Doing so may require some sacrifices for prestige, especially for women, but the benefits certainly outweigh the costs. I am willing to bet most Asian/Indian docs are married.

Karina said:
I think is just a matter of the lifestyle...I am starting med school next fall, and I have always been interested in becoming an OB...yet my other passion besides medicine is having children of my own and being a kick-ass mom... So I dunno. I think female docs with demanding specialties might encounter more pressure when trying to settle down, you have to find someone who's either in the same field or is really understanding. Personally, my boyfriend is already making plans about me being his sugar mama...he'll stay home while I go out and work...sounds like a plan to me. Too bad we don't know what this long-distance thing is going to do to our relationship (he's moving to boston tomorrow, and might be starting pharmacy school somewhere in the US next fall)...so, we'll see.

Life as a doc in training sucks, too many unknowns....

as a female future doc...how do you feel about the whole "sugar momma" idea. Sure, its funny, I can joke and say it would be cool too, but seriously, are you comfortable with that? I really want to know from a woman's perspective. Did it kind of bother you he was willing ot accept that role?

Its all good now, you are both students, but when you're getting serious money, with a serious career and lots of respect, do you think you would want someone your level?

I suspect you like him and so forth, but when he said that, your stomach dropped a little.

Members don't see this ad :)
ha, good luck. you say you want someone who "would be willing to sacrifice career...[to] retain most of the traditional family oriented responsibilities of a woman" yet you also say you want to marry a female doctor and wouldn't settle for, god forbid, a nurse or teacher. do you not see how that is very hypocritical, not to mention very insulting to people who are nurses, teachers, etc? my parents are both teachers and its not because they are "incapable" of doing a "high end" job, as you put it. teaching is a noble self-sacrificing profession, much like medicine and those who go into it should be commended. same with nursing. you have a very poor, elitist attitude and it is offensive to me and i'm sure others. i'm not easily offended, btw. eh, it takes all kinds i suppose....

medstyle said:
i agree. While I am not primarily worried about having my wife as a care giver to my children or housekeeper, as I can hire both, I want a woman who would be willing to sacrifice career, in some capacities, to ensure that she can retain most of the traditional family oriented responsibilities of a woman.

I think most women who are successful careerwise tend to have masculine characteristics that are unappealing to most men. Ambition, intelligence, and personality can all be sexy, but not when coupled with competitiveness and entitlement. When we hear about women's careers and how men ought to pick up the slack, no one mentions the ego that comes with such a career. I think men can be very accomodating, but just as a woman does not want to be known for masculine traits, such as being aggressive, loud, unkempt, competitive...a man does not want to be known as being passive, soft, and other feminine qualities. Very few men want to be emasculized for the remainder of their lives, and even though women joke about "whipping" their man, I doubt many woman want a man they can push around either.

I want to marry a female doctor. I think that we all choose this profession for the same reasons, essentially, and it was probably the most educated decision we could make. I don't see anything wrong with doing what you're good at and being well compensated for it. I think someone doing nursing would only do it if they are incapable of being a doctor, for whatever reason, and I would not treat them equally. therefore I could not have a successful relationship with them. If you don't like my reasoning, you don't have to marry me. Its my preference, and it applies to nearly every field, from engineering to even law (with the case of people doing law, they often are finacially well off, not as much as doctors but still good...but they have different personality traits than the science-y types we have here).

I've dated many girls and most of them have pride in what they do, and it becomes annoying when you have no respect for their career. I am thinking: "I don't care if you're goign to be a teacher and you tell me how tough it is these days; why would you do it? its a low end low prestige job...either you're incapable of something better or just senseless. Either way this won't work out."

I like most of you, had many options, and I chose this profession. Its a smart choice. Who better partner than an equal? of course, there needs to be a female/ male dynamic, where I am recognized as a man and she is a woman. But i think most MARRIED women are comfortable with this notion.

Now, for those who feel being a woman, in the traditional sense, is beneath them, they are either confined to be being perpetual singles or round two's for divorced men.

I think americans don't plan enough for family in general, so thats why so many divorces. People need to not only base marriages on love, but also on family and career compatibility. Doing so may require some sacrifices for prestige, especially for women, but the benefits certainly outweigh the costs. I am willing to bet most Asian/Indian docs are married.

sacrament said:
The simplest answer you can find that adequately explains an observed phenomena is usually the correct one: most female physicians are probably lesbians.

Absolutely completely FALSE!!!!!!!!!

I know several female physicians whom are happily married. Some are married to people whom are physicians as well. Others are married to engineers, and yet others are married to business men or people in jobs like real estate. And then there are those married to men who may have an engineering degree but help around with the business of their practice.

Furthermore, I know quite a few people whom are starting medical school now and married. So please try to get your facts straight.

medstyle said:
as a female future doc...how do you feel about the whole "sugar momma" idea. Sure, its funny, I can joke and say it would be cool too, but seriously, are you comfortable with that? I really want to know from a woman's perspective. Did it kind of bother you he was willing ot accept that role?

Its all good now, you are both students, but when you're getting serious money, with a serious career and lots of respect, do you think you would want someone your level?

I suspect you like him and so forth, but when he said that, your stomach dropped a little.

doesn't bother me who brings in the most dough as long as i have pride in my career.
but, since i'm gonna be a doc someday *fingers crossed*, and my current girlfriend is a starving actress, i can't say i've come to this conclusion through experience.

CarleneM said:
ha, good luck. you say you want someone who "would be willing to sacrifice career...[to] retain most of the traditional family oriented responsibilities of a woman" yet you also say you want to marry a female doctor and wouldn't settle for, god forbid, a nurse or teacher. do you not see how that is very hypocritical, not to mention very insulting to people who are nurses, teachers, etc? my parents are both teachers and its not because they are "incapable" of doing a "high end" job, as you put it. teaching is a noble self-sacrificing profession, much like medicine and those who go into it should be commended. same with nursing. you have a very poor, elitist attitude and it is offensive to me and i'm sure others. i'm not easily offended, btw. eh, it takes all kinds i suppose....

no, maybe you misunderstood me, i did a poor job of conveying how i feel.

When i said tradition responisibilities of a woman, i meant simply being a woman. Just my parents, with babysitters and house service, there isn't much to do as far as "woman's work". But I'd like a woman who could still look pretty for me and be fun to be around...not all the time, but enough that I don't feel like i married a man. I don't want her TELLING me what to do either, nagging is fine, haha. Thats what I mean. Someone who expects me to be a man, like i dunno, negotiating on a car, or reading the fine print, etc....And she makes sure we take vacations, the kids see me (haha), and basically maintains order on the household. The 21st century male/ female relationship, i suppose.

As far as being a teacher or whatever is concerned, there are plenty of smart people doing every career. I saw a guy win jepordy last night who is a male secretary. Thats great, but it does not make sense to me. If you are smart, i think you should do something you enjoy and compensates you well. If you can't see that, you're not my type...simply put.

(i often think, in regards to professions, why do people work for less when they can make more. Just like in anything, if you have the choise between better and worse, why take worse? Money is 50% of a better job, the other half is enjoying what you do. If my wife wanted to teach, i would hope she did so in a medical school or hospital, not the local elementary school).

You're right, i have criteria. But i am goodlooking, funny, successful, well off, and all that good stuff. Excuse me if it seems "cocky", but I know who i am and what i am entitled to. I have had more girlfriends than i have wanted because some crazy girls love to be around me, because i am a good catch. They tell me this too. But the thing is, i know it. I don't need to hear it. So yeah, i want a "catch" too.

Hey, if it makes me happy, more power to me, right?

doogyhowser said:
doesn't bother me who brings in the most dough as long as i have pride in my career.
but, since i'm gonna be a doc someday *fingers crossed*, and my current girlfriend is a starving actress, i can't say i've come to this conclusion through experience.

haha, i was asking karena. And anyone else who is a "future FEMALE doc" marrying/ dating a male who is in a way less presitigous job.

medstyle,
thanks for clarifying. i do see where you are coming from and see your values are very money oriented and while money is important, i care more that my partner is utilizing his talents and not squandering them away. for instance, intelligence is obviously an important trait many people look for in a mate so I wouldn't want my intelligent husband working at mcdonald's because of a lack of ambition to get a better job. i dated a guy that worked in a movie theater despite a college education and it was very frustrating and i couldn't respect that. if someone was gifted with young children, i don't see how you couldn't respect them being an elementary school teacher especially if you made enough money to support them. but that's just my opinion.

good luck finding your "catch,"- sounds like a quest for the perfect woman but hey more power to you!

medstyle said:
no, maybe you misunderstood me, i did a poor job of conveying how i feel.

When i said tradition responisibilities of a woman, i meant simply being a woman. Just my parents, with babysitters and house service, there isn't much to do as far as "woman's work". But I'd like a woman who could still look pretty for me and be fun to be around...not all the time, but enough that I don't feel like i married a man. I don't want her TELLING me what to do either, nagging is fine, haha. Thats what I mean. Someone who expects me to be a man, like i dunno, negotiating on a car, or reading the fine print, etc....And she makes sure we take vacations, the kids see me (haha), and basically maintains order on the household. The 21st century male/ female relationship, i suppose.

As far as being a teacher or whatever is concerned, there are plenty of smart people doing every career. I saw a guy win jepordy last night who is a male secretary. Thats great, but it does not make sense to me. If you are smart, i think you should do something you enjoy and compensates you well. If you can't see that, you're not my type...simply put.

(i often think, in regards to professions, why do people work for less when they can make more. Just like in anything, if you have the choise between better and worse, why take worse? Money is 50% of a better job, the other half is enjoying what you do. If my wife wanted to teach, i would hope she did so in a medical school or hospital, not the local elementary school).

You're right, i have criteria. But i am goodlooking, funny, successful, well off, and all that good stuff. Excuse me if it seems "cocky", but I know who i am and what i am entitled to. I have had more girlfriends than i have wanted because some crazy girls love to be around me, because i am a good catch. They tell me this too. But the thing is, i know it. I don't need to hear it. So yeah, i want a "catch" too.

Hey, if it makes me happy, more power to me, right?

I want a wife. Even though I'm a chick, I think I'm going to order a Russian bride or something. That way I'll be able to practice medicine/sit around playing Halo/play in my band "Jesse and the Rippers" while someone does all the things I can't do, like cook real food, do my laundry all nice, and fluff my pillows. I'll take care of the Russian bride and stuff, treat her nice, give her a room of her own. At least she won't have to be married to some fat guy or anything. :thumbup:

gujuDoc said:

I know several female physicians whom are happily married.

really??!! noooo....

CarleneM said:
medstyle,
thanks for clarifying. i do see where you are coming from and see your values are very money oriented and while money is important, i care more that my partner is utilizing his talents and not squandering them away. for instance, intelligence is obviously an important trait many people look for in a mate so I wouldn't want my intelligent husband working at mcdonald's because of a lack of ambition to get a better job. i dated a guy that worked in a movie theater despite a college education and it was very frustrating and i couldn't respect that. if someone was gifted with young children, i don't see how you couldn't respect them being an elementary school teacher especially if you made enough money to support them. but that's just my opinion.

good luck finding your "catch,"- sounds like a quest for the perfect woman but hey more power to you!

i don't need my wife to make alot of money, or any money in fact. But as, i said before, it just doesn't make sense to me to take a job that pays less when you CAN utilize your talents and find job satisfaction in a job that pays more. Most people try to earn as much as money as possible in their career field. While some people may choose a job that pays slightly more or less depending on the amount or satisfaction of the work, to choose a 50k job over a 350k one is very unlikely, especially if they both are asking for similar responsiblities.

as a student at harvard, you certainly meet all kinds of motivated and successful people. After you leave, as I discovered when i left college (an ivy too), losers are a dime a dozen. Lots of people "seem" intelligent, but where is the rationality when it applies to relationships ("i'm divorced/ have a kid and i am 23"), jobs ("i was going to be a teacher or a neurosugeon, but i decided i like kids and i get sick looking at brains"), or anything else ("my parents got mad at me once, so i moved out and couldn't go to college").

i am going out tonight...no doubt I will be around many girls interning in DC who are "totally smart" and "have alot of options" careerwise. But only a few of those options would make sense to someone like me. If i were "totally openminded", most of these girls would be definate trophies, but i am not.

I feel like a rational, intelligent person is consistent in many ways. I am certain you and I, for instance agree about many things from pro choice to human rights. I just feel your outlook is a little more romanticized than my comparitively jaded viewpoint.

When i was a sophomore, i was just looking for a chick with intelligence and whatever...who cares what she wants to do for a living?! But the fact is, once you're with someone for a while, these differences manifest themselves in cumbersome and often relationship ending ways.

I graduated in 2003. While at harvard, i did not like the men there as prospective mates or even as boyfriends. too much like me, too type A. after graduation, i have met a wonderful man who doesn't care that much about making money. granted he wouldn't be a struggling artist but he is happy making a more modest income. i like money. alot. spend it on designer clothes, beauty and furniture mainly. it was important to me to find a job where i made a lot of it and is also satisfying. i opted not to do clinical psych grad school and one big reason was i felt the pay was terrible and unfair compared with psychiatry. so i see your point and am a very pragmatic person much like yourself, it sounds like. i don't think my view on relationships is overly romanticized, however, and have found my boyfriend is a wonderful balance to my flagrant materialism. i come from a family that likes stuff. lots of cars and lavish presents. my boyfriend offers a different perspective and keeps my impulses in check. money isn't everything although you do need some of it to live comfortably and what we have works well for both of us. he gets to experience more expensive restaurants and hotels on occassion and i get to experience his very personal, sentimental and romantic gestures that no amount of money can buy. do i worry about going to med school and falling for a plastic surgeon? well, yes, and that's a possibility but what we have now works very well so don't be so sure yours is the only pragmatic or logical path. its not.

oh and at harvard, i have met my fair share of losers. people so shallow and cutthroat they made me sick to my stomach. people that don't acknowlege birthdays or other's hardships because they are too busy being all successful. in the "real world," i have made friendships with and encountered far more emotionally intelligent folks who are, on the whole, a happier lot. there are losers everywhere.

medstyle said:
i don't need my wife to make alot of money, or any money in fact. But as, i said before, it just doesn't make sense to me to take a job that pays less when you CAN utilize your talents and find job satisfaction in a job that pays more. Most people try to earn as much as money as possible in their career field. While some people may choose a job that pays slightly more or less depending on the amount or satisfaction of the work, to choose a 50k job over a 350k one is very unlikely, especially if they both are asking for similar responsiblities.

as a student at harvard, you certainly meet all kinds of motivated and successful people. After you leave, as I discovered when i left college (an ivy too), losers are a dime a dozen. Lots of people "seem" intelligent, but where is the rationality when it applies to relationships ("i'm divorced/ have a kid and i am 23"), jobs ("i was going to be a teacher or a neurosugeon, but i decided i like kids and i get sick looking at brains"), or anything else ("my parents got mad at me once, so i moved out and couldn't go to college").

i am going out tonight...no doubt I will be around many girls interning in DC who are "totally smart" and "have alot of options" careerwise. But only a few of those options would make sense to someone like me. If i were "totally openminded", most of these girls would be definate trophies, but i am not.

I feel like a rational, intelligent person is consistent in many ways. I am certain you and I, for instance agree about many things from pro choice to human rights. I just feel your outlook is a little more romanticized than my comparitively jaded viewpoint.

When i was a sophomore, i was just looking for a chick with intelligence and whatever...who cares what she wants to do for a living?! But the fact is, once you're with someone for a while, these differences manifest themselves in cumbersome and often relationship ending ways.

swifteagle43 said:
Yes...after a sucessful career as a medical professional at the age of 67 MedicineBird fornicated with an 18 year old male. The hot 18 year old former chip and dales dancer said "we are in love....atleast i like her money....uhhhh never mind... Come here sweet heart!"

age 67 is so Passe -- I would shoot for 97. Dream on swifty...

cool. you sound happy. i appreciate the honesty.

I am not type A at all, or even materialistic. I think more of my pants have holes than ought to. But like you, i know that money is important.

All i am saying is if you could find a guy like your boyfriend, but was rich too, would that not work? i think i want the same traits in a partner, whether she is in my career field or not. So all things being equal, I would prefer she is in my profession. I know you're gonna be thinking "no guy who is well off could be so genuine", but i dunno, there are guys like that.

Anyway, maybe it's just food for though...i am out now, so have fun. peace.

CarleneM said:
I graduated in 2003. While at harvard, i did not like the men there as prospective mates or even as boyfriends. too much like me, too type A. after graduation, i have met a wonderful man who doesn't care that much about making money. granted he wouldn't be a struggling artist but he is happy making a more modest income. i like money. alot. spend it on designer clothes, beauty and furniture mainly. it was important to me to find a job where i made a lot of it and is also satisfying. i opted not to do clinical psych grad school and one big reason was i felt the pay was terrible and unfair compared with psychiatry. so i see your point and am a very pragmatic person much like yourself, it sounds like. i don't think my view on relationships is overly romanticized, however, and have found my boyfriend is a wonderful balance to my flagrant materialism. i come from a family that likes stuff. lots of cars and lavish presents. my boyfriend offers a different perspective and keeps my impulses in check. money isn't everything although you do need some of it to live comfortably and what we have works well for both of us. he gets to experience more expensive restaurants and hotels on occassion and i get to experience his very personal, sentimental and romantic gestures that no amount of money can buy. do i worry about going to med school and falling for a plastic surgeon? well, yes, and that's a possibility but what we have now works very well so don't be so sure yours is the only pragmatic or logical path. its not.

oh and at harvard, i have met my fair share of losers. people so shallow and cutthroat they made me sick to my stomach. people that don't acknowlege birthdays or other's hardships because they are too busy being all successful. in the "real world," i have made friendships with and encountered far more emotionally intelligent folks who are, on the whole, a happier lot. there are losers everywhere.

docdaname said:
I actually remember hearing something about this, and i think the 67 year old was actually just a surogate mother for her daughter.

no -- you are thinking of the birth that already happened. this gal is preggo now. here's the story from Yahoo:

Romanian, 67, pregnant with twins

Adriana Iliescu says she expects to live for many years yet Romanian doctors say a 67-year-old woman is seven months pregnant with twin girls after fertility treatment. If the pregnancy comes to full term, it is believed that Adriana Iliescu, an author and academic, will become the oldest recorded mother.

Mrs Iliescu told local television she had always wanted to be a mother but had been unable to conceive naturally.

She says she is optimistic about her future as a mother, claiming her family has a history of longevity.

Last year, a 65-year-old Indian woman gave birth to a boy.

Schoolteacher Satyabhama Mahapatra from Nayagarh in Orissa had been impregnated with an egg from her 26-year-old niece that had been fertilised by her husband.

It was the first child for Ms Mahapatra and her husband who had been married for 50 years.

medstyle said:

I am not type A at all, or even materialistic. I think more of my pants have holes than ought to. But like you, i know that money is important.

All i am saying is if you could find a guy like your boyfriend, but was rich too, would that not work?

I don't think many women would have a problem if their partner happened to be rich.
medstyle said:
i think i want the same traits in a partner, whether she is in my career field or not. So all things being equal, I would prefer she is in my profession. I know you're gonna be thinking "no guy who is well off could be so genuine", but i dunno, there are guys like that.

I'm blown away. A man who actually PREFERs to marry a female doc. You're a rare species indeed.

and i appreciate your honesty. i think it could work with someone who was like my boyfriend but rich although i guess i really don't think its a good idea to have a partner who is so similar to me. you want to marry a doctor who is as pragmatic and ambitious as you are and its just been my experience that i'm not really attracted to folks who are that similar to me. granted, i like people with similar tastes music, literature and movies, but not people who have the same, like, personality as me. i like to be friends with them and argue with them (probably why i'm arguing with you) but do not have a romantic interest in them. opposites attract in my case. not for you though, it seems. also, i think that its good to get a little distance from your career when you go home at night and so i don't think i'd like dealing with another doctor.

check back with me in ten years. maybe i'll be married to some surgeon, who knows.
medstyle said:

All i am saying is if you could find a guy like your boyfriend, but was rich too, would that not work? i think i want the same traits in a partner, whether she is in my career field or not. So all things being equal, I would prefer she is in my profession. I know you're gonna be thinking "no guy who is well off could be so genuine", but i dunno, there are guys like that.

medstyle said:
losers are a dime a dozen. Lots of people "seem" intelligent, but where is the rationality when it applies to relationships ("i'm divorced/ have a kid and i am 23"), jobs ("i was going to be a teacher or a neurosugeon, but i decided i like kids and i get sick looking at brains"), or anything else ("my parents got mad at me once, so i moved out and couldn't go to college").

FYI: "Losers" is not necessarily equivalent to divorce -- you need to be a bit more careful with your generalities. Sometimes guys are d!cks and decide not to honor their wedding vows (and yes the same happens vise versa) but instead sleep with anything warm and willing. sometimes their true colors only become clear after the I do's have been said. Because a person's fairytale does not come true does not deem them a loser. Keep that in mind as at least 50% of your future patients will be divorcees. Just a word of advice.

Kind of a different view too look at now: what about female doctors that don't want kid?

A lot of the discussions have been about kids and stuff, so what about the ones that dont want to have kids? Not all people who get married have kids.

I know that I don't want kids, I have never wanted kids, I mean never. I never thought "I wanna be a mommy" when I was a kid (like when asked "what do you want to be when you grow up?"). Maybe I just dont have a "maternal instinct" or something...I know I wasnt very good at babysitting kids under 4 or 5; I didn't really know what to do with them-and I still don't to be honest. I love kids and kids love me, I just don't want kid. Babies and little kids are cute to play with for a little while. Oh, and when I said I didnt want kids, initally I meant not give birth too them...I used to think I might would want to adopt kids. Like school age ones, so it would not interfere with work or anything (plus no poop diaper :laugh: ) But now I wouldn't want any kids biological or adopted.

So what about doctors with that view? Maybe not the exact same view as me, but doctors/future doctors, that dont want kids. I mean there isn't a reason to "stay a home" then.

One last thing...To people who say a man needs to be around to read "fine print" and other "guy jobs" (if you really want to say reading fine print is a man thing...) Umm, women can read fine print, put things together/build/fix stuff too! I don't mean to stat a war in saying that but, seriously, I can do that stuff and know other women that can too

gujuDoc said:

I know several female physicians whom are happily married. Some are married to people whom are physicians as well. Others are married to engineers, and yet others are married to business men or people in jobs like real estate. And then there are those married to men who may have an engineering degree but help around with the business of their practice.

Furthermore, I know quite a few people whom are starting medical school now and married. So please try to get your facts straight.

I don't understand. If they are lesbians, why are they marrying men?

MedicineBird said:
yeah - I'm a certified nerd -- I met my beau in the library.

I met mine in Genetics Lab :)

I'm married, an M-1, and my husband is an undergraduate student starting his BS. He wants to be a teacher when he "grows up", and I want to be an OB/GYN. We aren't going to have any children, even though we'll work with different aspects of childhood development in our careers.

I've been more career-oriented the entire time we've been together (more than 7 years), and it's never been a problem for either of us. As long as what you're doing works for you and makes you and your partner happy, don't worry about social norms. Find someone you love, spend the time and energy to make the relationship work, and live a long, happy life.

Old_Mil said:

Should a successful, intelligent woman marry a man who's more interested in changing a stranger's catheter than his own baby's diaper in the middle of the night?

old_mil said:

Why are women the ones who are forced to make all of these choices? Where is the responsibility of the male in this scenario? They can go out, have a great career, and come home to food on the damn table and no childcare responsibilities? Ridiculous. A successful, intelligent man is one who actually recognizes that he is not entitled to a more well-rounded or satisfying existence than his wife, simply because he has a penis.

aphistis said:
Prone to overreaction much?

Nope. Anyone who thinks a woman's "rightful place" is in the home being a mother is a disgusting individual, in my opinion.

But I'm really not interested in getting into it with you, aphistis.

sacrament said:
I don't understand. If they are lesbians, why are they marrying men?

Wow you need to get a life. If you read my post, it is saying that there is no truth to the claim that female docs are lesbians.

If anything, they are straight and a lot of them have families and kids, so please try to get your facts straight for once.

Oh and to the poster that said something about not wanting kids, I have friends who are that way too. They like talking to other people's kids, but don't really want their own. I agree with you, that no one should assume that they know what each person wants out of marriage and life.

UnskinnyBop said:
I want a wife. Even though I'm a chick, I think I'm going to order a Russian bride or something. That way I'll be able to practice medicine/sit around playing Halo/play in my band "Jesse and the Rippers" while someone does all the things I can't do, like cook real food, do my laundry all nice, and fluff my pillows. I'll take care of the Russian bride and stuff, treat her nice, give her a room of her own. At least she won't have to be married to some fat guy or anything.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh: Great idea!

stinkycheese said:
Should a successful, intelligent woman marry a man who's more interested in changing a stranger's catheter than his own baby's diaper in the middle of the night?

Why are women the ones who are forced to make all of these choices? Where is the responsibility of the male in this scenario? They can go out, have a great career, and come home to food on the damn table and no childcare responsibilities? Ridiculous. A successful, intelligent man is one who actually recognizes that he is not entitled to a more well-rounded or satisfying existence than his wife, simply because he has a penis.

Yes!! My feelings exactly. It's been eye-opening reading the posts from the men... there is this aura of special male entitlement that I find disturbing.
Also, there seems to be this implicit assumption among the men that women doctors would be negligent mothers who don't care about their infants. Not sure where that's coming from, or how this doesn't apply to a great extent to workaholic men as well.

Why are women the ones who are forced to make all of these choices? Where is the responsibility of the male in this scenario?

Nobody's forcing you to make the choices. If you can find a man who's willing to cook and clean and be the soccer mom, you too can have -- well, not the best, but some of the privileges of the penis. Of course, you may need a splint for his limp wrist. :smuggrin:

To all who seem so angry in this thread, try this:

Do not judge the choices or relationships of others. You are not them and if their relationships work, why do you care? Marry whoever you want or don't. Have kids or don't. Work a lot, or don't. Before you decide to judge others out-loud on this website, remember that these folks will be your future colleagues and if you think you won't run into them (specifically) or others just like them in your careers, you are mistaken.

As a doctor, you might even be able to pay someone else to cook and clean and drive the kids to soccer practice... so, if you are real lucky, you can choose to do the chores that are most important and pay others to pick up the slack.

why oh why must the sissy lazy liberal men ruin it for us tough men who want to actually provide for our family. :laugh: j/k

The ladies here are all going to die old and lonely. They should accept that. Or in the best case scenario they will marry a bum for whom they have to provide and who screws someone younger and more attractive than them during the daytime while they are at work. :D

leechy said:
Yes!! My feelings exactly. It's been eye-opening reading the posts from the men... there is this aura of special male entitlement that I find disturbing.
Also, there seems to be this implicit assumption among the men that women doctors would be negligent mothers who don't care about their infants. Not sure where that's coming from, or how this doesn't apply to a great extent to workaholic men as well.

That aura of entitlement is sickening, isn't it? You would think "professional" men would be a bit less chauvinistic. We have a lot of work to do in society to change things up. If I wasn't going to be a doctor, I'd be in academia studying women's issues and gender inequity. I will probably still try to incorporate feminist activism into my life in some ways. I encourage all professional women to do the same.

gujuDoc said:
If anything, they are straight and a lot of them have families and kids, so please try to get your facts straight for once.

Now I'm really confused. Because first you say they are doctors... and then you say they aren't lesbians! So which is it? Speaking of "straight", you should get your story straight! Maybe it'd be easier for me to get my facts correct about your imaginary friends if you weren't flip-flopping so much!

And you know,gujuDoc, I've had about enough of you acting like being a lesbian is shameful! It's people like you who make people like your friends decide they need to hide who they are, and marry men! I met a lesbian once and she was very nice. There is no place for bigotry on SDN!

leechy said:
I don't think many women would have a problem if their partner happened to be rich.

I'm blown away. A man who actually PREFERs to marry a female doc. You're a rare species indeed.

hmmm, i hope thats a good thing?

about my comments about divorce earlier, i don't mean all divorced people...but anyone who is 22 and is already divorced is someone I do not want to be in a relationship with. There is absolutely no pressure these days to marry that young, so if you do and it doesn't work out, I think such a person probably reflects poor judgement in many areas of life. The particular women that come to mind were completely useless, with or without the divorce.

I don't judge people for anything generally, but i certainly do when deciding on a girl to date. There are too many people in the world to settle, especially if you're someone who has options.

Have a happy new year...

Wow. I have to say I am very impressed with the women who have somehow suppressed their feminist reactions and resisted replying to some of the more irritating posts on this thread. I know its been really, really hard for me to do so.

Its funny that people keep saying female med students are ugly...at all of my medical school interviews, I saw a lot of really cute girls at the schools.

I will tell you why I am not married yet. The main reason is that I don't see much point in getting married untill I'm ready to take it to the next step (kids). If I could have it my way, I would probably settle down around age 50 and have a couple of kids. I have a lot of living and travelling that I want to do before I'm ready to sacrifice all my time to children.

As for me, I readily admit to being a strong minded, domineering type of woman. My boyfriend is no less strong minded and domineering (believe me, its been a real struggle balancing the relationship)-but he is also really nice and unselfish, and would spoil me rotten if I allowed it. We've been together for 6 years, and he is just crazy about having kids-which really kind of freaks me out. But I have to say I really respect him and trust his judgement, and that I don't want someone that I can just push around all the time. Its nice to be able to let him take care of things.

FutureDrCynthia said:
Kind of a different view too look at now: what about female doctors that don't want kid?

A lot of the discussions have been about kids and stuff, so what about the ones that dont want to have kids? Not all people who get married have kids.

I know that I don't want kids, I have never wanted kids, I mean never. I never thought "I wanna be a mommy" when I was a kid (like when asked "what do you want to be when you grow up?"). Maybe I just dont have a "maternal instinct" or something...I know I wasnt very good at babysitting kids under 4 or 5; I didn't really know what to do with them-and I still don't to be honest. I love kids and kids love me, I just don't want kid. Babies and little kids are cute to play with for a little while. Oh, and when I said I didnt want kids, initally I meant not give birth too them...I used to think I might would want to adopt kids. Like school age ones, so it would not interfere with work or anything (plus no poop diaper :laugh: ) But now I wouldn't want any kids biological or adopted.

So what about doctors with that view? Maybe not the exact same view as me, but doctors/future doctors, that dont want kids. I mean there isn't a reason to "stay a home" then.

I can relate to that.

I think I have maternal affections, but that I just give them all to my dog. I only wanted to have a baby once, when i was 18, and that was because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life and was looking for some direction. Wisely, I realized this, and I got a dog instead.

I feel like an alien sometimes when I look at women my age with their newly born babies, or when a couple I know decides to get pregnant. I just don't get it. The way I feel, it either takes incredible courage, or incredible stupidity/ignorance to have a kid.

There is this one couple in my home town-they had a relationship that was on and off again. He was an alcoholic. She was a single mom. They broke up, but then she gets pregnant by him and they decided to have it. I just couldn't figure that out. But they are still together 1 1/2 years later. I keep wondering when its going to fall apart, because it just doesn't seem like it could work out.

I can totally relate to the not wanting kids. My only stipulation for my future husband is that he must get neutered. Just wondering, did anyone else out there get the question during an interview "How do you plan on balancing being a physician and having a family?". I hated saying in an interview that I don't want to have kids and then having to explain why. I think that's an inappropriate and sexist question. I couldn't help but think "Are you asking me this because I'm female?"