4.0 GPA Scale Question

malfee

Sports Medicine Wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. I have a cumulative average of 94.8015, or something like that. For the sake of simplicity, let's just round this to a 95. I always thought a 95 was equivalent to a 3.5 GPA, but now I'm being told that it's a 4.0 by some people. Is this true? Do I actually have a 4.0?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a bit confused. I have a cumulative average of 94.8015, or something like that. For the sake of simplicity, let's just round this to a 95. I always thought a 95 was equivalent to a 3.5 GPA, but now I'm being told that it's a 4.0 by some people. Is this true? Do I actually have a 4.0?

Your high school doesn't assign letter grade to you ? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
That scale seems pretty generous. In all of the classes I have taken the range for A- has been at least 90-93 and i even had a course where to the range was from 90-94 so in order to get a solid A you had to ge ta 95 in the course.

To the OP, i dont really understand the grading system you are talking about and how you went from 95 being equivalent to a 3.5.........can you explain?

Yeah, I have had some courses in college like where the grading scale is extremely high. This was my scale in high school, which is what the OP was referring to.

100-90=A
89-80=B
79-70=C
69-65=D
64-0=F

I assume that they are on a 0-100 scale?

I agree that this is most likely what your school is doing. However, using this scale getting 95s in all of your courses would give you a different score than getting 100s in some of them and 85s in others. One easy way to check: do you have As in all of your courses? Most high schools do not use a "+/-" grading system, so if you have only As on your record, then yes, you do have a 4.0. However, if your school assigns A- grades and some of your course grades are A-s, B+s, etc...your GPA is probably somewhere between a 3.5 and a 4.0.

The best way to check on this would be to go talk to your school's guidance counselor. They can give you a printout with your GPA, and in many cases your class rank.

I talked to my college adviser at school and she said that they use a 100 point scale, but if I were to convert my cumulative average to a 4.0 scale, I would pretty much have a 4.0.

All is well. :p