4 year Navy HPSP 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry to hear that my friend but I'll still be rooting for you, Is this for the HPSP or HSCP?

Whoops, I forgot to mention...it's for HPSP. I applied for HSCP but my recruiter didn't say anything about it so I'm going to assume it's a rejection on that part.

This is what he said, "Results for the Dental HPSP came out and you were recommended as an alternate. The Alternate lists will be offered the scholarship if somebody gets disqualified or declines the scholarship prior to commissioning. Additional scholarships will be offered to alternates by Oct 2014. I will let you know where you rank on the alternate list. FYI, all alternates for last year were notified and offered the scholarship in October-December even though they already started their dental school."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Jaesango (and all), I have the same information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. Emailed recruiter this past thursday but he didn't email me back. Did you get alternate for hpsp too?

I've been playing phone tag with my recruiter since Thursday, not exactly sure what it may be in regards to. Hoping for good news.

Just spoke with my recruiter, I got placed on the alternates list for the HSCP :/ Anyone on here get selected for the HSCP and considering turning it down?

Just spoke with my recruiter, I got placed on the alternates list for the HSCP :/ Anyone on here get selected for the HSCP and considering turning it down?
did you only apply for the hscp or hpsp too? did he mention hpsp?

its a long story, but I was only able to apply for the HSCP. Does anyone know if this is a good thing or not?

its a long story, but I was only able to apply for the HSCP. Does anyone know if this is a good thing or not?
You should ask your recruiter about more hscp spots opening up towards the end of the year just like they do for hpsp

You should ask your recruiter about more hscp spots opening up towards the end of the year just like they do for hpsp

Ya my recruiter said they will be doing the same for the HSCP but the navy has to meet and see what their need is in order to determine how many more spots to open. And I have a feeling some will be turning the HSCP down to open up more spots as well. Do you know when they open more spots for the HPSP?

Ya my recruiter said they will be doing the same for the HSCP but the navy has to meet and see what their need is in order to determine how many more spots to open. And I have a feeling some will be turning the HSCP down to open up more spots as well. Do you know when they open more spots for the HPSP?

They're supposed to open them up in october (after school starts) and will continue to recruit down the alternative list until december or spots are filled

I believe we still get retroactive pay for the stipend but if you sign the bonus, you tack on an extra year

Members don't see this ad :)
They're supposed to open them up in october (after school starts) and will continue to recruit down the alternative list until december or spots are filled

I believe we still get retroactive pay for the stipend but if you sign the bonus, you tack on an extra year

I would verify your statement, Jaesango. I am not certain how it is today, but a few years ago you did not get retroactive pay for the stipend. You only got retroactive pay for the tuition, fees, etc. for the current semester you are in. Any stipend money for that semester was lost since you were not in the program during those months. So, I would call your recruiter and verify this.

I would verify your statement, Jaesango. I am not certain how it is today, but a few years ago you did not get retroactive pay for the stipend. You only got retroactive pay for the tuition, fees, etc. for the current semester you are in. Any stipend money for that semester was lost since you were not in the program during those months. So, I would call your recruiter and verify this.
Ah...thanks for bringing this to my attention. As a matter of fact, I think I remember the recruiter saying exactly what you said.

I just started talking to a recruiter about the scholarship and she wants me to come in next week then scheduled the physical 2 days later. My question is do they drug test right away at this initial physical or only after you join?

and I am serious about joining and have good stats 3.91 gpa 21AA 23PAT, I just only recently started to think about HPSP and then she mentioned physical and drug test came into mind. I guess i am early in the process so i could just delay the process a bit give myself some time if they do in fact test during this initial physical.

and I am serious about joining and have good stats 3.91 gpa 21AA 23PAT, I just only recently started to think about HPSP and then she mentioned physical and drug test came into mind. I guess i am early in the process so i could just delay the process a bit give myself some time if they do in fact test during this initial physical.

You do have competitive stats so I wouldn't worry to much about qualifications. But at MEPS (the physical) they do take a urine sample.

As duvaldentist already said, they do give a drug test at MEPS. As you said, you are early, so you really don't need to do this part of your application for another couple months if you really needed to put it off (anytime before late November for the physical is alright, unless you have other health issues). Your stats are very competitive, but make sure you get off whatever you're on... ;)

Appreciate the help guys. Now my only problem is having a reason to delay the process since i already told her i would come in but i guess ill figure out something

Appreciate the help guys. Now my only problem is having a reason to delay the process since i already told her i would come in but i guess ill figure out something

Just in case you didn't know, the Navy has a zero tolerance policy on drug use, and will not hesitate to kick you out and demand full repayment of your scholarship if you ever test positive for drugs. I'm assuming that marijuana is the drug you are worried about, and I know that it is becoming more and more mainstream nowadays, but there is absolutely no place for recreational drug use in the Navy. If you need to wait to get clean before applying, maybe the Navy isn't the place for you. I'm not trying to be judgmental, but I am honestly shocked at the number of people who join the military, not realizing that they are going to be subjected to random (and seemingly not-so-random) drug screenings with career-ending consequences if they ever test positive. Just wanted to make sure you are aware in case you are like some of the dental students that were in my class, who couldn't imagine life without smoking weed every once in a while.

Last edited:
You should heed Del sol's advice; the Navy doesn't fck around when it comes to drugs. I was the urinalysis coordinator at my first command and I saw plenty of hardworking sailors get kicked out because of their recreational drug usage... They all thought they could cheat the system but it caught up to them eventually. If I were you, I would use the next four years to gradually ween off whatever youre taking or just quit cold turkey.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Did anyone that get on the alternate list ask their recruiter for their rank on the alternate list?
Mine was telling me that he'll get me my rank number but he emailed me today saying that he won't get it until October-November, which is when the Navy will decide how many more spots they will open up for the alternates. Just wanted to see if this was true for everyone else.

Alternate list is available. Call your recruiter for more information

I was just browsing through military.com and WOW.. they got some amazing discounts/deals at many places! :laugh:

I was just browsing through military.com and WOW.. they got some amazing discounts/deals at many places! :laugh:
Yup, I just got my ID yesterday too. That flight to school will be nice with 1 free checked bag haha

Did you need anything else beside two forms of government ID ?
Nope, that's it!
And to my surprise, they gave me a real ID...I thought I was supposed to just get a green reserve card haha

Just got notified yesterday that I was selected off the alternates list for the Navy's HSCP program, hope those of you who were still waiting also received some good news.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got notified yesterday that I was selected off the alternates list for the Navy's HSCP program, hope those of you who were still waiting also received some good news.

Congrats man! I just heard word today I got off the alternate for HPSP. So stoked!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I know this thread is from last years class but I am doing MEPS tomorrow and am super nervous that I wont get the scholarship b/c I broke my tib/fib about 10 years ago and had surgery on it. It doesnt give me any problems at all. My recruiter says that all I need is a waiver and Ill be ok but Im still super worried about it. I have a 3.64 GPA and 20 AA DAT. Has anyone gotten the scholarship with a health waiver?? Or know anyone that has?

Yea I'm a huge fan of my recruiter. She's so active and on top of everything. She called my orthodontist and demanded my letter of rec after he procrastinated for 3 months and she called my school and demanded a letter of acceptance with a real signature when they failed to provide one like 3 times. She definitely the best.

Could you give me the contacts of your recruiter? Im just starting the application packet and I dont want to work with a recruiter who may be a lot less passionate and competent at their job.

your recruiter would probably have a better idea than us. The only other thing it could have been was your motivational statement or the number of acceptances you gave your recruiter to submit
Troyvdg, what is the status of your military career? Have you thought about direct assession?

Troyvdg, what is the status of your military career? Have you thought about direct assession?
I'm a D1 right now. I never considered it because I was dead set on hpsp haha

I'm a D1 right now. I never considered it because I was dead set on hpsp haha
Troy, sorry Im in Psych, so I have no idea what D1 means.

How is dentistry school?

Hello everybody - looking for some help:

I have had a hard time getting a straight answer on this question, so I'm hoping that I can get real-world answers from people who actually have the HPSP and who have tried to borrow.

My scenario: I'm considering HPSP but my expenses are more than the ~$2,100 per month from the stipend/ADT pay.

My question: are there any options to borrow while you're on the HPSP (I mean any - like even private education loans)? I realize that schools consider you "fully funded" if you are getting the stipend and all of the schooling paid for, but what about someone like me whose expenses are more than the stipend? I don't much care if the loans are federal or private, I just want to know if there's anything I can do (aside from working while in dental school) to bridge the gap? I know private loan companies would be happy to give me the money, but the issue would be if the school would certify it...

HPSP recipients, please help, I beg of you!