5 days left until MCAT and I'm got a bad practice exam score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMBand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm taking the January 10th MCAT and I've been prepping for about 6 months. I just took AAMC #10 and did abysmally. I'm quite concerned especially since #10 and #11 are more recent exams and are considered more reflective of the current format of the real thing.

Here's a run-down of my scores so far:

AAMC #3 > 7 PS, 7 VR, 10 BS = Composite 24 <-- TAKEN AS A DIAGNOSTIC BEFORE STUDYING

Then, after studying and during:
AAMC #5 > 10 PS, 10 VR, 13 BS = 33
AAMC #7 > 9 PS, 8 VR, 11 BS = 28
AAMC #8 > 10 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS = 30
AAMC #9 > 13 PS, 10 VR, 12 BS = 35
AAMC #10 > 9 PS, 8 VR, 11 BS = 28 <--- :eek: Same score and breakdown as AAMC #7 … WTH?? :cryi:

AAMC #11 to be taken in 2 days
AAMC #4 may or may not take depending on time left

Here's a background on what I've covered so far in my MCAT studies (for context):
  • Analytically and intensely read EK subject books (I skipped O-Chem because I'm an O-Chem tutor anyway, so wanted to save my time for other weak points)
  • Completed EK in-chapter quizzes and most 30-minute exams and reviewed and analyzed all answers
  • Completed all 1001 questions in EK 1001 Gen Chem to boost PS score
  • Completed part of EK Verbal 101
  • Completed aforementioned AAMC FL's
  • Worked extensively with private MCAT tutor throughout
  • Currently undergoing final review of EK texts (Bio and Physics) and note-taking as necessary to refresh concepts and burn in/ memorize minutiae (Bio).
I am shocked and dismayed that I dropped 7-points on AAMC #10, considering how good I felt about the second half of the exam (VR, BS) while I was in those sections. I actually felt the VR and BS on this exam were slightly easier than in the past AAMCs. (It seems the better I feel about my performance during the test, the worse my score!) On the other hand, I found the PS section was harder and trickier than previous AAMC FLs.

So why did I score low on AAMC #10? I really don’t know all the reasons and that’s what’s distressing. However, I know some factors that could contribute partly (but not entirely) to it. For one, I felt anxious when the test first started causing me to get a little unfocused for the first 90 seconds, giving me a slow start and difficulty understanding the first passage. But then I calmed down and settled into the rhythm of it all. Perhaps I even got a little too calm because I also felt my focus slipping ever so slightly for just a second or two at various points throughout the test. Furthermore, I realized that taking a shortcut on a calculation I made in PS cost me the right answer. (Had I taken the time to do the proper calculation, which I knew how to do, I would have answered correctly). Realization of this stupid mistake and losing an easy point bothered me even as I was starting Verbal. Also, when in Verbal, I ran out of time with one question left and was forced to guess (incorrectly) even though the question was easy and I could have answered correctly if I had 20 more seconds. Both such errors cost me a point in both sections because my raw score was on the upper cusp of my breaking 1 point higher in all three sections. I glanced at some of the solutions after my exam and most made perfect sense. I guess I just reasoned incorrectly at the time or made a lot of dumb mistakes when I should've known better. Other than this, I haven’t really picked apart my score report nor done an in-depth analysis due to feeling upset and lack of time. Should I invest my limited time to do this?

I was stoked about my performance on AAMC #9 but now I am just feeling deflated and defeated, especially since 28 is only a 4 point increase from my baseline 24 (the score I got on my June diagnostic before I started studying at all). I know that a 4-point increase isn’t reflective of my aptitude plus all the hard work, effort, and hundreds of hours I have spent studying over the past 6 months.

Nevertheless, I am not giving up! I want to bounce back from this and give it my best shot, but I only have 5 days remaining until the big day. I am still in the midst of my “final review” but I still have a ton of things left to cover (namely most of EK Physics which I am still feeling slightly rusty in) and a little bit left of EK Bio. I feel like I have gotten rusty on a few things in Physics especially, since I did my primary studying in this topic a few months ago.

That said, how should I spend this precious time left? Should I finish my final review of Bio and then go through my final review of Physics to shore up the weak areas? Should I go through score reports? Should I retake old practice tests (to shake out the jitters, work on my minor focus and timing issues)? (I’m still planning on taking AAMC 11, at least, either way.)

Sorry for the lengthy post, I’m just feeling upset and a bit distracted by this 28, and hoping I can turn this around in time! Any advice? Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll still be able to get into medical school with a 28. Do as well as you can. Based on your posted scores I'd estimate a 31-32 on the real test. You should spend at least a little time each day meditating and envisioning your dream score. In the last few days there is little you can do to move your score other than memorizing all formulas and making sure you know all the hormones (items you should have down cold).

How'd you do on 11? If 11 was another <29 you should plan on getting a 28-30 score on the real thing, which is good enough to get accepted to medical school but not ideal.

Thanks, mspeedwagon! You're right, mindset and attitude are so very important! But if you had to choose though, would it be more effective to spend my very limited time left on AAMC practice tests or on reviewing physics and formulae? (My weaknesses are clearly Physics and Verbal).

Doug, I haven't taken AAMC 11 yet (I'm taking that one tomorrow), but I can update when that's done.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, it looks like you have content gaps in your PS. Your variance on that section looks very high which is a tell-tale sign of content weakness/gaps.

I'm taking it on that day also. Your averages seem to be in a good area. What I always think of when I do bad on a practice is that a 28 and a 30 is only separated by a few questions.

To me, it looks like you have content gaps in your PS. Your variance on that section looks very high which is a tell-tale sign of content weakness/gaps.

True. I'm about to hit physics hard right now. I think there are still some content gaps are here. By the way, the reason I jumped from PS-10 (on AAMC #8) to PS-13 (on AAMC #9) was because I completed all 1001 Q's in EK Gen Chem 1001 in between. This really helped make me feel more confident in Gen Chem, which showed in my AAMC #9 PS score. Unfortunately, my PS fell once again once I reached AAMC #10…

I'm taking it on that day also. Your averages seem to be in a good area. What I always think of when I do bad on a practice is that a 28 and a 30 is only separated by a few questions.

Absolutely. If I got one more question right from each of the three sections, I would have scored a 31. It's so heartbreaking to miss stuff you knew or could have reasoned through. And that's why I'm kicking myself after the fact!

Something that helped me immensely between practice tests was using passages to my advantage in the science sections. I read them slowly and understood everything in them (including trends in figures) before going on the questions.

Relax, trust yourself.

AAMC practice tests are exactly that. Practice tests. You can't take them as perfect indicators of your ability, and spending time on SDN is probably not the way to drill this in right before your test.

Frankly, you've demonstrated that you have the ability to score high. What you'll get on the real thing, no one can predict. It's largely a combination of luck, test day mentality, etc. - more test day mentality, which no one can predict for you. Only YOU know yourself. But going in now with the mindset of "hey, I'm going to get a 28, ************" is not going to help your case. Your mentality should be more like "hey, the worst I could get is a 28! Whatever!" and completely relax come test day, knowing that you have all the tools necessary to get a 35. Your brain must be sharp, relaxed, and ready to think - which I think if you reflect on your experience with AAMC 9, you'll realize that's where your mindset was. That's optimal MCAT strategy.

As for the AAMC 10 score, just post-game and see where your weaknesses were. That "stupid" mistake is never stupid, and happens for a reason. It's not necessarily always content gaps, and it's often mental. Dumb mistakes are often a matter of either being panicked and not reading closely enough, misinterpreting, whatever it may be. You got a 28 on a practice test, so it wouldn't happen on the real thing.

Take the pressure off, and do your best. It's counterintuitive, but I think you'll be surprised at the results. Take the two days before your test completely off, review any weaknesses the morning of/night before LIGHTLY, but really it's SO IMPORTANT to go into this test with absolutely no pressure and a sharp mind. Definitely study your weaknesses, but at this point your studying is pretty much done, and your time would be best spent lightly reviewing and sharpening your mind for test day.

I'm rooting for ya! Go get em!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the encouragement, guys!
@avenlea , your advice was really uplifting. You have no idea how much it helps to read your encouraging words!

Some updates:

(1) Yesterday, I received an unexpected call from a Prometric representative informing me that my testing center is having some sort of "environmental emergency" this week, and all examinees testing at that site on that date need to be moved! At first, I could hardly believe what I was hearing, considering something like this is so bizarre and out of the ordinary… But later, I got in touch again with Prometric and AAMC to confirm that the circumstance was indeed valid. Long story made short, Prometric was ultimately able to reschedule me to January 15th at a different testing center nearby, so it all worked out in the end.

(2) Given that I have a few more extra days on account of the rescheduling, I decided to take AAMC #4 last night. (I am now saving AAMC #11 for the weekend). I got a 32 (11 PS / 10 VR / 11 BS). Despite that score, I am feeling really bummed because I had some minor timing issues in Verbal and some major timing issues in BS. I found myself spending a bit more consideration on each question to make sure that I wouldn't make any more stupid or careless mistakes like I did last time (on AAMC #10), but perhaps I spent too much time and care on each question. I found the BS section of AAMC #4 quite long and challenging compared to other (later-numbered) AAMC FL's I've taken. This is unusual especially because BS has historically been the best/easiest section for me and my forte. But this time (on AAMC #4), I especially got hung up on the organic synthesis passage (among others), which caused me to have to rush through the rest of the section. In fact, I was running out of time so badly by the end of BS, that I actually had to pause the timer a few times toward the end to get more time in order to think a few moments about an answer, before resuming and marking my answer choice. I feel really guilty for doing that and consequently wonder if that 32 is even fairly deserved. Nevertheless, I wanted to see what my score would be if I had not gotten hung up on the Orgo passage, so I pushed through to the end using this strategy as a last resort. (Please no lectures, I am already feeling bad about it enough!)

Anyway, I am concerned that I am once again struggling with timing issues this late in the game. I thought I had improved and moved on from that. Now I am questioning whether I am regressing. I just searched around SDN for what people thought about AAMC #4 and the general consensus is that it was easy. I do not feel that way (especially BS). I don't know what's wrong with me. Nevertheless, I am trying to regroup, rebound from this, and keep my spirits and confidence high per all your encouraging suggestions. But nobody said it was easy!

Lastly, all I can do right now is focus on moving forward. I have one week left to exam day. How should I spend my time?

Calming down.

...I found myself spending a bit more consideration on each question to make sure that I wouldn't make any more stupid or careless mistakes like I did last time (on AAMC #10), but perhaps I spent too much time and care on each question. I found the BS section of AAMC #4 quite long and challenging compared to other (later-numbered) AAMC FL's I've taken. This is unusual especially because BS has historically been the best/easiest section for me and my forte....
Anyway, I am concerned that I am once again struggling with timing issues this late in the game. I thought I had improved and moved on from that. Now I am questioning whether I am regressing. I just searched around SDN for what people thought about AAMC #4 and the general consensus is that it was easy. I do not feel that way (especially BS). I don't know what's wrong with me. Nevertheless, I am trying to regroup, rebound from this, and keep my spirits and confidence high per all your encouraging suggestions. But nobody said it was easy!
How should I spend my time?

I'm giving you some tough love here because I know I needed that kind of tough love before my test. Your problem is not studying more. Your problem is your nerves.

The fact that you are spending too much time on each question means you are NOT trusting yourself. You absolutely cannot do this on the real thing. You clearly have what it takes, and second guessing is going to shoot you in the foot. At this point, the mental game is trusting that the knowledge you have gained from all of your hard working days of studying have paid off. YOU KNOW HOW TO TAKE THIS TEST. Now trust yourself!!!!

There is nothing wrong with you. Take some time off from this test and take the pressure off. Seriously. You still sound like you have so much pressure on yourself. You are completely capable of a score anywhere from 28-35. The thing that's going to decide what you get on test day is how much you second guess yourself, and what mentality you go in with.

Post-game AAMC 4 and ask yourself what went wrong. What about the organic synthesis passage tipped you off? It's awesome that you had issues with timing on BS on AAMC 4 rather than on test day. Now you know how to conquer that issue. Figure out a timing situation for BS so you don't have this happen again on test day, and more importantly, do whatever you need to do to regain some trust in yourself. Take the pressure off by reminding yourself it's just a test, can retake, etc. but really this is out of your hands at this point. All you can do is go in and do your best!