AACPMAS 2015-2016 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry you came to Miami on a record setting rainy week. The Zoo was closed because the Lions could now swim over the safety gates, believe it or not. But anyways, good luck! You should hear back by Friday, the earliest.

Haha thanks, and yes everyone lamented the rain, it was 75 and there were palm trees so I didn't care. And I still took a dip in the ocean ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I really enjoyed my interview at Kent yesterday. The tour was very informative, and I noticed that there are a lot of opportunities for student success (as long as you're willing to work hard). Overall, the campus has a friendly, community feel to it :)

I did "mess up"/get nervous midway during my interview, so I'm a little worried about that. Other than that, I have a 19 MCAT score....but other impressive stuff on my application. I really hope the 19 doesn't get in the way :(

Reactions: 3 users
I officially accepted my position at Barry. 1 more seat of 67 taken yesterday in Miami Florida. class of 2020 LETS DO THIS

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Future DMU people who have payed seat deposit, did you guys mail, email, or fax the "conditions of enrollment" paper that we're suppose to sign? Just wonderinggg GRACIAS

Future DMU people who have payed seat deposit, did you guys mail, email, or fax the "conditions of enrollment" paper that we're suppose to sign? Just wonderinggg GRACIAS
Faxed that beast. Just used the one at the hospital I work at.

:thinking: Just got a letter in the mail stating that my application to Barry was rejected. I have gotten interview invites to all 8 other schools. Not too worried about it, but I found it a little strange as both my MCAT and GPA exceed their matriculation averages and there aren't any deficits in my application that I can think of.

Last edited:
:thinking: Just got a letter in the mail stating that my application to Barry was rejected. I have gotten interview invites to all 8 other schools. Not too worried about it, but I found it a little strange as both my MCAT and GPA exceed their matriculation averages and there aren't any deficits in my application that I can think of.

Admissions are usually open to applicants asking why. I would give them a call if you are losing sleep over it

Snail mailed it

Emailed. Almost considered using normal mail but....technology

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted to Barry!

To all of SDN, I thank and salute you!

Reactions: 9 users

Faxed it, seemed to be the easiest for both sides. However, make sure you give them a ring after a couple of days if you do not receive an email in regards to them receiving it. I called about a week later and the fax never went through, who knows if it actually failed or it was just misplaced. Sent it over again and they emailed me back immediately.

what's yalls stats that got accepted to barry?

Undergrad BA in economics; gpa, 3.1, post-bacc pre-med gpa 3.75, old MCAT 26, tons of extracurricular's and work experience.

During my interview they stated they now put a lot of the emphasis on the supplemental questionnaires and "tests" they have you complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Transcripts verified and submitted... My application except for mCAT is in...

I wonder if any schools will give me interviews without mcat..

what's yalls stats that got accepted to barry?

3.4 overall, 3.0 science, 21 MCAT (7,8,6)

Huge positive trend GPA wise. ECs are unique, I was a decorated college athlete with lots of all conference this and 1st team All American that, which is why my grades were low early on. I also had 2 years of experience as a high school physics teacher, my first job outta college. About 30 hours shadowing podiatrists, which they asked about in the interview- they wanted to see more and wanted to know why I hadn't shadowed more. So beef up those shadow hrs kids.

Last edited:
Transcripts verified and submitted... My application except for mCAT is in...

I wonder if any schools will give me interviews without mcat..
Did you get it verified today ? Mine still not in ?.. 4 weeks and still counting.. Help desk people informed the transcripts should be there this week.

If your transcripts took that long I would call..

During the busy season (August is the busiest) it takes up to 2 weeks. Many report having them back within 1 week. You will most likely get verified before Christmas holidays.

Last edited:
Who got auto rejected to temple?
Who got into temple?

Does temple have 2 year clinic exposure?

Who got into temple?

-A few posters here, don't remember their usernames off the top of my head
-Me and some other users here thanks in large part to a jet-black Dodge Charger
-Yes

Mr. Weazel is the guy you wanna talk to regarding Temple related things

Reactions: 1 users
Who got into temple?

"I'd like to thank my friends, family, and most importantly that Dodge Charger..."

Oh, sorry, just working on my Temple scholarship acceptance speech. I was accepted to Temple, AZPod, and Western before I canceled the rest of my interviews.

And what do you mean, do they have two years of clinical experience? All of the schools have about two years of clinical experience. What exactly are you asking?

Reactions: 2 users
like early clinics starting at 2nd year?
How much was the scholarship ?

like early clinics starting at 2nd year?
How much was the scholarship ?
I don't think they have much early clinical experience. Like, I believe our only early exposure will be basic H&Ps but that's it. Every school does about 2 years of didactic and 2 years of clinical, what varies the most is when all of that happens. From my understanding, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, if a school starts clinicals very early that will generally cut into class time and these students will end up taking more classes during their 3rd (and maybe even 4th?) year along with continuing clinicals. On the other hand, if a school holds off on clinicals until 3rd year, then they can cram all, or almost all, of the didactic into the first two years and then the 3rd and 4th years will be all, or almost all, clinical.

For instance at Temple, I don't think that there's much clinical exposure before 3rd year, but the upside is that 3rd year we'll just have to take one short class in the morning and then have the rest of the day to focus on clinicals and I believe that 4th year we'll have no classes and just clinicals.

I'm not certain that one way is necessarily better than the other. I have heard students complain about having classwork and tests and being busy with clinicals all at the same time and so many people like to focus just on the classwork and tests in the first two years and then just on clinical in the last two years. Many people also would like to start clinicals as early as possible however and as long as they're okay with stretching out their classes beyond the second year, then that's cool too. Either way, you'll get about the same total time for clinical training at any school. Do you want that total time to be stretched out over 3 or 4 years or condensed into just the last two years or do you not care? That's what you should think about.

As far as Temple's scholarships, they range from about $2,000 to $12,000 for incoming students, weighted 2/3 toward MCAT and 1/3 toward GPA. I believe that over 80% of their students receive a scholarship. There's a scholarship thread going on now too and someone mentioned that Temple's scholarships are frontloaded, so they'll probably make you a very reasonable scholarship offer. You could technically maintain a scholarship for the subsequent years if you keep your GPA up towards the very top of the class, but if it really is front loaded, then there will be less money to go around in subsequent years so you'll really have to work for a high scholarship beyond first year.

"The Ambulatory Surgical Center, Biomechanics Laboratory and Anatomy Laboratory explore new surgical procedures, evaluate new surgical tools and test bone fixation techniques."

@bobtheweazel how much do u know of research opportunities at temple ?

"Either way, you'll get about the same total time for clinical training at any school. " AHHH!! That is what I needed to hear.. So it really does not matter..

I believe that most of the research is done by Jinsup Song, DPM, PhD and James Furmato, DPM, PhD and they made it sound like if you want to get involved in research, you should definitely be able to.

Dr Song:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=jinsup+song&btnG=&as_sdt=1,44&as_sdtp=

Dr Furmato:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=james+furmato&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0,44

Their gait lab is a little dated, but is still well equipped. I was having a conversation with Dr Harkless, Dean of Western, and he said that Temple has probably the best gait lab of all the schools—his words, not mine. Assuming that you might be interested in gait based research. Otherwise, I'm not sure what their research capacity is. Both of those professors, especially Dr Song, seem pretty well published in a variety of different aspects of lower extremity biomechanics and function. I'm not sure at all about pathological or disease-based research.

If you need any more specific info than that, you should direct your questions towards this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/3rd-year-temple-pod-student-ask-me-anything.1166731/

"The Ambulatory Surgical Center, Biomechanics Laboratory and Anatomy Laboratory explore new surgical procedures, evaluate new surgical tools and test bone fixation techniques."

Dr. Furmato is who interviews me and we talked at length about the opportunities of research. I've been heavily involved with research in undergrad and was wanting to continue and he said that there are many opportunities available just like @bobtheweazel said. I think if you want to do it all you have to do is reach out for it.

I, too, was very impressed with the fair study center and I only considered NYCPM and Temple but Temple's blew NYCPM away in my opinion. Hope a second thought helps!

I, too, was very impressed with the fair study center and I only considered NYCPM and Temple but Temple's blew NYCPM away in my opinion. Hope a second thought helps!
Fair study center, gait study center, autocorrect I assume?

i am not impressed with CSPM and western tbh idk prob need to visit them again...

gait study center ? Is that the lab with kinesiology stuff? motion etc???

Last edited:
gait study center ? Is that the lab with kinesiology stuff? motion etc???
Mmmm, yea. They have a raised platform that's maybe 10 meters long or so with multiple cameras that are able to track motion sensors on the body (like motion capture movie making). There are also some pressure plates along the floor towards the middle of the platform.

Hi guys, I got accepted to NYCPM (didn't confirm yet) and they gave me only a week to respond because it is for the January class. However, I'm still waiting to hear from Temple and Kent. I got an email from Kent with my updated file which says "decision made" but I didn't get any other email saying what the decision is.. is it a bad sign? :( btw, anyone going to start NYCPM in this coming up January?

I can't afford the flight ticket for interviews... will the school pay for it? any chance??

I can't afford the flight ticket for interviews... will the school pay for it? any chance??
Probably the best thing you could do is wait until next cycle to apply. All of the travel cost that you will incur can be very expensive, especially if it's coming out of your own pocket. You have to think about plane tickets, ground transportation ($50 just from airport to hotel for some places if you grab a cab/uber), food cost, hotel etc. It's not uncommon to spend a couple thousand dollars once everything is said and done. Your best bet would be to get a job if you don't already have one and save up money for the next cycle.

Hi guys, I got accepted to NYCPM (didn't confirm yet) and they gave me only a week to respond because it is for the January class. However, I'm still waiting to hear from Temple and Kent. I got an email from Kent with my updated file which says "decision made" but I didn't get any other email saying what the decision is.. is it a bad sign? :( btw, anyone going to start NYCPM in this coming up January?

When'd you get the email?
It could go either way! I received a "decision made" email from Kent yesterday and found out I was accepted within a few hours.

If you don't hear back, I'd call the office on Monday.

When'd you get the email?
It could go either way! I received a "decision made" email from Kent yesterday and found out I was accepted within a few hours.

If you don't hear back, I'd call the office on Monday.
Yesterday (Friday) afternoon so maybe that's why the second email was not sent. I hope I get it on Monday so it's before I have to make the decision regarding NYCPM!

hey guys question:
did anyone here apply to other programs? As in MD/DO schools...is this something that can come up in interviews? How do you suggest someone answer those questions? I worked with both types of docs, and found both interesting. I didnt see any harm in applying to both, so i did to keep my options open....any insight??
Thanks a lot!

hey guys question:
did anyone here apply to other programs? As in MD/DO schools...is this something that can come up in interviews? How do you suggest someone answer those questions? I worked with both types of docs, and found both interesting. I didnt see any harm in applying to both, so i did to keep my options open....any insight??
Thanks a lot!
I did but they did not bring it up. One of my friends got asked and she replied that she wants to see which program is a better fit for her (after a tour, total cost of tuition and living, and the entire impression of the school etc.). It seemed like a good answer but she still has to wait for the answer from that school.

hey guys question:
Thanks a lot!

I originally was all about osteopathic medicine. This was before I got good exposure to podiatry. I've had extensive exposure to MD and DO's in private practice, academics, clinical, and OR. I personally knew going into my pursuit of medicine that whatever area I went into I wanted to specialize, and I had a stronger preference for surgery. I ended up forgoing applying to any DO programs, even though I had fellow classmates with similar or lower stats than myself whom got accepted. I only mention this because it was my choice not to pursue the DO route, as podiatry can already offer me everything I was looking for.

Now if you are thinking about applying MD/DO I'm going to make the assumption that you have good stats, and should be very competitive for podiatry from a stats stand point. One thing I've definitely noticed is that every school seems to want to know that you area really all about podiatry and this is what you want to do with the rest of your life. They may not like the idea that your are applying to MD/DO programs, because these are VERY different than podiatry. Not saying this is "right" but you have to take a step back and look at it from their prospective as elevators of potential candidates.

In the MD/DO world there is still some "You're applying MD, why would you also apply to DO" and vice versa. This isn't as big of a deal now as there is tons of cross over between these fields of medicine, and they are trained differently than pods. They are trained generally first, then specialized down the road. Pods are specialized from day one. That's an apples to oranges comparison, and I would see pods not looking highly on it as it might be construed as "not committed" to the world of podiatry.

But that's just my thoughts. Also, at the point of the game where you are applying, you should have a good idea of what you want. In pod school/training, you can't switch and change your mind and try to pursue a different path of medicine as you can in the MD/DO world. Hope this helps.

I asked my pod if I can shadow if a couple more times... he said no only once...

I asked for a letter that i shadowed once... he has not replied in like a month... did I offend him..

There are no other pods in my area down to let ppl shadow... i need a pod letter .

I asked my pod if I can shadow if a couple more times... he said no only once...

I asked for a letter that i shadowed once... he has not replied in like a month... did I offend him..

There are no other pods in my area down to let ppl shadow... i need a pod letter .
So you're saying he let you shadow one time only?

That seems weird to me...

That seems weird to me...
I agree with jmarsh, that's very strange that there's no podiatrists where you live who are willing to let you shadow. Maybe you could try getting into contact with each of the podiatrists in your area, if you haven't already, and reach out to them in a more personal way rather than email. When I was searching for someone to shadow I typed up a letter explaining my situation, what I was looking for in terms of shadowing hours, thanked them for their consideration, left my contact info, and then delivered it by hand to the receptionist at the office. It may help to some effect if the podiatrist had a hard copy request in front of him/her and their employee vouched by saying, "Oh this person dropped this off for you." Of course I have no idea where it is that you live and you may have simply lucked out into a town or city with pods who can't or won't spare the time to let you on. If that's the case then maybe you could shadow an Orthopedist who specializes in the foot and the ankle. If not that, then maybe just an MD in general or possibly your family doctor. You may need to get creative with it. Your saving grace in all of this is that Midwestern doesn't require ANY letters of recommendation! Only that you have visited at least one podiatric practice, which you have:highfive:

I shadowed a podiatrist who was very welcoming in inviting me to his office and showing me around that day. However it took forever to get a letter of Recc from him. I know for a fact that it wasn't because he wouldn't reccomend me because he didn't think I was a suitable applicant- I was his sons' high school physics teacher.
I think helping the aspiring podiatrist may just be low on the totem pole of priorities for a pod who runs a solo practice. There are a lot of demands on his/her time. The other side is , as much as they say "sure come by any time", our presence as shadows limits their daily productivity. Instead of finishing charts or billing or whatever in between appointments, he was showing me different office equipment and talking to me about podiatry. I also called and left messages for several other pod offices with no call back.

All that being said- this still seems odd. Considering you probably need this letter for this current app cycle, I'd visit his office if you have a day off. Leave multiple messages with his secretary (in a non harassing manner ). The squeaky wheel gets the grease, the noisy pre pod gets the letter. In the meanwhile I'd plan another shadow appointment in case this pod doesn't follow up.

Okay he emailed me a letter... I hate that he only let me shadow him once.. and in the letter he says that which is fine and true. but he also mentions a few good things about me that is not true/we did not talk about... idk I don't like that at all..

Should I email and let him know?

Last edited: