**AADSAS FAQ Compilation**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my aadsas application was submitted on june 22, my gpa was calculated on july 2, my lor were submitted july 9, and i paid aadsas around june 22. so does this make me the 2nd or 3rd batch? i am guessing 3rd since that was july 12 (right after my lor were sent in)
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i know the first date it went out was june 28 but is the batch based on when my lor are sent out or does that not matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
2. Question: Tell me about Interfolio. Should I use it? How does it work?

Note: AADSAS accepts no more than four letters through its centralized letters service. If you send AADSAS more than four letters, the extra letters will be discarded.

Would a matching form count as a separate letter?

Super slow day at work - linked your list to individual posts. Quote to get the code if you want to adjust original post. :):thumbup:

Topics covered below:
  1. Should I use sentences or bullets when describing my activities?
    [*]Tell me about Interfolio. Should I use it? How does it work?
    [*]Can I submit before I have in my letters of recommendation? If I do, will schools consider my application? How will schools get my letters if I've already submitted?
    [*]Do I really have to enter in every course I've taken? What do I do about AP classes? Can I e-submit before my transcripts are in? Can I e-submit before my GPA is verified?
    [*]How long does it take my transcripts to be uploaded? How long does it take my GPA to be verified? How long does it take my Interfolio letters to be uploaded? etc.
    [*]Has anyone heard from school X? Have they let you know they've received your application? Have they cashed your check? etc.
    [*]If a school asks me to list all of the others schools to which I am applying, should I? Why is this any of their business?
    [*]What batch am I in? Is my application late? Does being late really make a difference?
    [*]How can I see what my application looks like to schools?
    [*]If I retake a course, do I have to put both grades on my application? Does AADSAS use both grades to calculate my GPA, even if my school offers grade replacement?
    [*]I can't save my PS. What's up? Also, how should I space my paragraphs?
    [*]My DAT scores don't show up under my "official scores." All I can see are the dates when they were taken and received by AADSAS. Are they supposed to be there? Where can I see them?
    [*]If I am a reapplicant, do I need to send in my transcripts again?
    [*]I've seen some posts from people saying their "AADSAS status" has been changed to "received/under review" or "invited to interview." Anyone know where I can find the AADSAS status?
    [*]Question: Do schools look at both of your GPAs? Do they prefer at your GPA with +/- or without +/-?
    [*]Question: When do interview invites usually start rolling in?
    [*]Question: Can I e-submit without my DAT scores, LORs, or transcripts? Will schools look at my application without them?
    [*]Question: My DAT scores/LORs just arrived to AADSAS or my GPA was just verified. However, I e-submitted already and have been "mailed out" to schools once before. How will schools get my new stuff?
    [*]Question: Will schools care more about my actual DAT scores or my DAT percentiles?
    [*]Question: How does the fee assistance program work? In terms of school designation for example?
    [*]Question: I'm not sure which schools to select when I apply for the DAT. If I don't select a school and end up applying there, do I need to pay to have official score reports sent to them?
    [*]Question: I wanted to make sure that if I make my AADSAS application now, I can leave it unfinished until I am ready to apply. Also, what is the difference between supplementary applications and secondary applications? Is there a character limit?
    [*]What should I do when I'm having a hard time, feeling down, and/or being stressed out while applying via AADSAS and contemplating the thought of getting into d-school at large?
    [*]Question: Will it hurt me to apply without a Bachelor's degree?
    [*]Question: Do I need to have completed all of my prerequisites before applying?
    [*]Question: How do I know which classes count as science, non-science, etc?
    [*]Question: Where is the official AADSAS instruction document on how to apply?
    [*]Question: Where can I get official accurate responses, answers, advice, and/or etc. regarding applications?

Reactions: 1 users
Ah, I think the link-list I made was cleaner prior to the forum re-do, now it's all janky and doesn't work. :thumbdown:

Are you sure? I added them all to the original post, and they work for me.
I even logged out and they still do. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
@Glimmer1991 I am a transfer student with 4 semesters in one institution and 3 semesters from my current institution with a stark upward trend. Two questions: Do I put in grades from the other institution? Can I choose which GPA to display?

Yup! You have to send transcripts from all institutions--even as a transfer student (I was one myself). AADSAS will use your grades from both schools to calculate your GPA, even if your current university doesn't count grades from your previous school into your GPA. All of your GPAs--sGPA, oGPA, BCP GPA--will be on the front page of your application. Sadly, you can't just pick the best one! :)

Last edited:
Are a secondary application and supplemental application the same thing? Where can I find them to start on them early?

Supplementary application and secondary applicatoin are used interchangeably. Not all schools require a "written" supplement where they ask you question, but I think they all charge a supplementary "fee" to process your application. So, yeah. You pay AADSAS, and then you pay the schools. :)

Some schools have them posted online beforehand, like UNC: https://www.dentistry.unc.edu/academic/dds/supplementalapplicationinformation.cfm
I don't get the feeling that this is very common, though. You can always google "[school name] dental supplement" and see if something comes up.

Admittedly, UNC's was pretty dang in-depth--I don't think all schools are like that. However, it at least gives you an idea of what kind of questions you might be asked.

Don't worry about writing anything too early, though I'd start brainstorming reasons behind some of the bigger questions--why this school? why dentistry? etc. The topics don't require as much "soul searching" as your personal statement. It should only take you a week maximum to finish a supplement.

Do I qualify as URM (even if I don't "look" like it, sound like it, have a last name typical of the race, etc)?

Basically, from what I've gathered, your race is essentially up to you. For example, if you identify as a Hispanic, even if you've lived in America your life, you can say that you're Hispanic. Here are some responses from others on this topic, even though I realize it can have lots of variations.

@cbhck: http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-02.pdf
"Definition of Hispanic or Latino Origin Used in the 2010 Census:
Hispanic or Latino” refers to a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."
"Hispanic origin can be viewed as the heritage, nationality group, lineage, or country of birth of the person or the person’s parents or ancestors before their arrival in the United States."
"People who identify their origin as Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish may be any race."

@MAdental: And looks like ADA also recognizes that to be true ! http://www.hdassoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/HDA-White-Paper-FINAL.pdf :thumbup:

@ramborhino: Race = whatever you see yourself as. With race as touchy of a subject it is, no body is going to challenge you about your race. The only exception would be claiming to be an American Indian, of which you'd need a tribal ID/Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood to get certain priority/scholarships, etc. You can honestly call yourself whatever you want...but keep in mind the philosophy behind recruiting URM's into healthcare professions is that someone of race X is much more likely to go into communities made up of race X and serve them...so be honest with your motivations with it all.

@Blake1e: A hispanic is usually someone who is at least somewhat ethnically Spanish/Amerindian, OR is from a spanish-speaking country or Spanish culture (Latin America, Spain, and parts of SE Asia). Brazilians can consider themselves hispanic if they want to, 1/6 of Brazilian immigrants do. Nowadays anyone who wants to can say theyre hispanic. This is from a good authority on the subject: http://www.pewhispanic.org/2009/05/28/whos-hispanic/
That said, White people can of course also be considered Hispanic. I know a bright blue-eyed natural blonde who is ethnically German/Polish and was born in Latin America and came to the US at age 4; she always puts herself down as hispanic and no one has ever given her any problems.

If anyone has additional responses to this topic (especially concerning other races, since I think we've covered this one pretty well), please comment and I will add them!

Last edited:
Hey Glimmer,

I just saw this thread, super helpful thank you for taking the time to do things like this for SDN, even though some people aren't so appreciative!

Couple questions:

Can I begin filling out the AADSAS app now, so that when June 1 comes, I can just submit it?

Also, what's up with the transcripts? Do I need to order those from the schools I attended ahead of time, bc Ive heard you need to enter every single class you have taken. How does AADSAS receive my transcript?

I want to make sure my app is submitted on June 1, so just don't want anything to hold me up (like waiting for transcripts to be mailed!)

Hey Glimmer,
Can I begin filling out the AADSAS app now, so that when June 1 comes, I can just submit it?

Also, what's up with the transcripts? Do I need to order those from the schools I attended ahead of time, bc Ive heard you need to enter every single class you have taken. How does AADSAS receive my transcript?

I want to make sure my app is submitted on June 1, so just don't want anything to hold me up (like waiting for transcripts to be mailed!)

Hey, ziggy! I'm glad to help!

Nope--you can't start filling out your application until the cycle opens. However, what you can do is make an AADSAS account and look at what questions are asked and their character limits. (I'm fairly sure it isn't too late to do this--the website says that the portal doesn't close until May 1.)

Yes, you will want to have copies of all of your transcripts on hand when the cycle opens. You have to enter in every single class and every single grade you've made. I would order these personal copies ahead of time. However, since you have to attach a "matching form" to the transcripts that get sent to AADSAS, you shouldn't send these until the first day the application opens (at which point the matching form will be available). Note: I don't think the matching form is absolutely *required*, but it can supposedly slow down the processing of your application if you don't have it.

As far as sending your transcript is concerned, your school's registrar (or the national student clearinghouse, if that is what they use) will just send them straight to AADSAS. Using the matching form, they will link your transcript to your application. Here are instructions:
http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...Application/Pages/TranscriptVerification.aspx
http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...ts/GeneralInstructions/Pages/Coursework2.aspx

AADSAS will not verify your grades until you submit your application, and the verification process takes a week or two.

You actually don't need to get everything in right on June 1st. The first batch isn't sent out until the END of June, so take your time. I would fill everything out on June 1st, let it sit for a day or two, and then go back and check over. You might find little errors that you didn't see the first time, and you want your application to be perfect! There is no need to rush.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Also, if I take my DAT June 28, will that be first batch then?

Also, if I take my DAT June 28, will that be first batch then?

Technically, yes... But not really. So long as the rest of your application is submitted, all of your materials will be sent out on the 28th (or whenever the first batch is sent out). However, it takes about 2 weeks for your DAT scores to be verified. At that point, your application will update and be sent out AGAIN to schools. Since schools won't look at your application until your DAT scores are in, you will probably realistically be in the third batch.

Seriously, though, there is absolutely NO difference between batches 1 and 3. I'd say that if you get in your application within batches 1-6, you are still plenty early and it won't make a difference.

This is a question for applicants who applied multiple times. I just read on the ADEA website that they will not allow you to use letters of recommendation more than once. How did you go about getting new letters of recommendation the following year or did you just directly send them to the dental schools?

This is a question for applicants who applied multiple times. I just read on the ADEA website that they will not allow you to use letters of recommendation more than once. How did you go about getting new letters of recommendation the following year or did you just directly send them to the dental schools?

Well, I haven't applied more than once, but I have a good idea of what others do.

I think that by "not allowing you to use the same recommendation letters more than once," what they really mean is that your recommendation letters won't roll over from year to year. You'll have to resubmit, but they can be the same ones. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Well, I haven't applied more than once, but I have a good idea of what others do.

I think that by "not allowing you to use the same recommendation letters more than once," what they really mean is that your recommendation letters won't roll over from year to year. You'll have to resubmit, but they can be the same ones. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks for the response Glimmer, I'm just worrying about it because I'm applying the end of this semester (sophomore currently), so I know I don't have a great chance of getting in (3.9 SGPA, 3.9 OGPA, no DAT yet) and will probably need to reapply and use the letters next year.

A question regarding Interfolio. I only have hard copies of my recommendations but my advisor can upload my committee letter to Interfolio if I decide to go that route. Is that possible? I thought each recommendation had to be uploaded individually by each professor? Obviously not a big deal either way in the grand scheme of things but it'll be nice to just upload everything on day one.

A question regarding Interfolio. I only have hard copies of my recommendations but my advisor can upload my committee letter to Interfolio if I decide to go that route. Is that possible? I thought each recommendation had to be uploaded individually by each professor? Obviously not a big deal either way in the grand scheme of things but it'll be nice to just upload everything on day one.

Hey, Faux! I missed your post.

You do NOT need individual letters if you are using a committee. The single composite letter essentially bundles all of the individual letters into one big one.

I don't see why your advisor couldn't upload the letter as one single file to Interfolio. In fact, since the committee letter is supposed to just be one "big" letter, it wouldn't make any sense for them to upload more than one.

However, if you're going the committee route and aren't worried about corralling all of your individual LORs on time, Interfolio probably won't be all that useful for you. I'm sure the committee could just upload the composite letter directly to AADSAS once the application opens. A direct upload works instantaneously, whereas it takes a 1-2 weeks for your letters to be added to your application if they are sent via Interfolio.

You will just want your individual recommenders to submit their letters to the committee, and then the committee will compile them all into one big letter.

Last edited:
Hey, Faux! I missed your post.

You do NOT need individual letters if you are using a committee. The single composite letter essentially bundles all of the individual letters into one big one.

I don't see why your advisor couldn't upload the letter as one single file to Interfolio. In fact, since the committee letter is supposed to just be one "big" letter, it wouldn't make any sense for them to upload more than one.

However, if you're going the committee route and aren't worried about corralling all of your individual LORs on time, Interfolio probably won't be all that useful for you. I'm sure the committee could just upload the composite letter directly to AADSAS once the application opens. A direct upload works instantaneously, whereas it takes a 1-2 weeks for your letters to be added to your application if they are sent via Interfolio.

You will just want your individual recommenders to submit their letters to the committee, and then the committee will compile them all into one big letter.

Is the feature of uploading directly to AADSAS new? my advisor didn't even mention that and I don't remember reading about it last year.

Are you sure it takes 1-2 weeks via Interfolio? My friend said it was within two days and he just applied last cycle....

Is the feature of uploading directly to AADSAS new? my advisor didn't even mention that and I don't remember reading about it last year.

Nope, not new! I even had one of my recommenders do it last year. You just put in their name and e-mail when you add them to your "recommender" list, and AADSAS will send them an e-mail with a direct link to upload it.

Are you sure [letter upload] takes 1-2 weeks via Interfolio? My friend said it was within two days and he just applied last cycle....

I was really early, and this is how long it took mine:

(Interfolio) Letters Sent to AADSAS: 6/11
(Interfolio) Letters Uploaded to AADSAS: 6/20

However, depending on when you apply, I am sure there is variation with this. To be safe, though, I'd always assume it would take 10 days.

Here is a huge thread of peoples' timelines from last year:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-submitted-received-verified-mailed.1012536/

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, not new! I even had one of my recommenders do it last year. You just put in their name and e-mail when you add them to your "recommender" list, and AADSAS will send them an e-mail with a direct link to upload it.

Thank you Glimmer :)

My school allows us to upload our matching form into a pdf file and they can use that to send our official transcript to aadsas. So they give us the official of sending it electronically or by paper. Which does AADSAS prefer? I imagine electronic is more secure in terms of delivery, but I don't know what ADDSAS wants instead.

My school allows us to upload our matching form into a pdf file and they can use that to send our official transcript to aadsas. So they give us the official of sending it electronically or by paper. Which does AADSAS prefer? I imagine electronic is more secure in terms of delivery, but I don't know what ADDSAS wants instead.

AADSAS doesn't accept electronic transcripts. :)

Last edited:
What is some general info about the FAP program?

I am not terribly familiar with the FAP, but I just looked and found the document that I uploaded below.

The program becomes available on June 2nd.

When you are close to having everything ready for your AADSAS app, go ahead and apply for the FAP. It appears to be first come, first served. Once you are approved for it, you have 30 business days to complete your AADSAS application and submit it. The FAP will cover the app costs for three schools.

They seem really strict with the requirements, so make sure you have everything perfect before submitting. :)

Attachments

• FAP.pdf
    250.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Actually I called AADSAS recently and they told me they don't accept electronic transcript. How strange :S

Oh! I'll update my post. I figured that since your school gave the option, it must be viable... but there ya go. :D

Last edited:
Oh! I'll upload my post. I figured that since your school gave the option, it must be viable... but there ya go. :D
I still think it is strange though. I searched up some posts here and they said that electronically uploaded transcripts are fine. I don't know why I got that answer from AADSAS though :S

Did you snail mail yours, Glimmer?

Does it matter if I submit my transcripts before my Spring grades are in??? None of them are science classes, and I finished all of my pre-reqs already. GPA 3.65 DAT 22/23/26

Does it matter if I submit my transcripts before my Spring grades are in??? None of them are science classes, and I finished all of my pre-reqs already. GPA 3.65 DAT 22/23/26
It is fine if you don't want to send in your spring grades. But if you think you will get a 4.0, it can only help your case. If you read first batch habauloballonalala, it doesn't matter if you are a bit late and end up like 3rd batch compared to first batch.

When will they be in? Are they not good grades or something? I would wait. :) As an adcom, I would jus think it was kind of fishy if someone submitted without them!

I still think it is strange though. I searched up some posts here and they said that electronically uploaded transcripts are fine. I don't know why I got that answer from AADSAS though :S

Did you snail mail yours, Glimmer?

I think maybe what you're seeing is that people REQUEST their transcripts electronically (through the national student clearinghouse or someplace like that). You also send the school your matching form electronically.

I used the national student clearinghouse for one of my transcripts, and since I requested it all electronically, I figured it got sent to AADSAS electronically as well. I guess not!

However, my other school *definitely* sent through snail mail, and there were no issues. :)

Do my LORs need to be signed?

Yes, technically, your letters do need to be signed. I'm not sure how strict schools actually are about this... but oh well. Luckily, your letter writers ought to know that they should sign their recommendations--it is totally standard protocol.

If you're worried and used Interfolio, though, you're in luck. Just call Interfolio. They can look at your letters and tell you if they're signed. If they aren't, you can ask your recommenders to resubmit their letters.

It is fine if you don't want to send in your spring grades. But if you think you will get a 4.0, it can only help your case. If you read first batch habauloballonalala, it doesn't matter if you are a bit late and end up like 3rd batch compared to first batch.

When will they be in? Are they not good grades or something? I would wait. :) As an adcom, I would jus think it was kind of fishy if someone submitted without them!

My Spring grades will be in by June 18th and I am pretty sure I will get a 4.0. I guess I'll just wait. So, if AADSAS has everything else by June 16, when do I e-submit?

My Spring grades will be in by June 18th and I am pretty sure I will get a 4.0. I guess I'll just wait. So, if AADSAS has everything else by June 16, when do I e-submit?

On the day your spring grades are released and show on your transcript, enter your coursework into your application and then submit it to AADSAS. Send your transcripts the same day.

You DEFINITELY need to wait for these grades to be in!!! You won't even have to wait long.

What happens if my school doesn't attach the matching form to my transcript?

If your school doesn't attach the matching form, it's fine and probably just an annoyance for AADSAS. It will take them a few extra days to link it to your account. No worries. I sent my transcript update (after fall semester) without a matching form--no issues whatsoever.

Directly from AADSAS: http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...adianTranscriptsMatchingForms.aspx#question10

Q: What happens if I do not forward the Transcript Matching Form to the registrar's office to attach to my transcripts?

A: Official transcripts sent without the appropriate Transcript Matching Form may result in the delay of your application.

So yeah, they still do it--it just takes a bit longer, supposedly. I'm sure plenty of transcripts get sent without the form. Obviously, you still SHOULD try to make sure it's there... but if it isn't, it's not the end of the world.

What do secondary/supplemental applications look like?

Here is an example--this is taken straight from UNC's website.

Personal Information

1. AADSAS Number
  2. Name (First, Middle, Last)
  3. Social Security Number
  4. Preferred Name
  5. Gender
  6. Ethnicity
  7. Age
  8. Date Of Birth
Residency Information

1. Address
  2. Phone (xxx) xxx-xxxx
  3. Permanent Address
  4. Permanent Phone (xxx) xxx-xxxx
  5. Emergency Contact (Name, Relation, Address, Phone) (xxx) xxx-xxxx
  6. In what STATE are you a legal resident?
  7. If North Carolina, of what COUNTY are you a legal resident?
  8. If not the U.S., of what COUNTRY are you a citizen?
Other

1. Email Address
  2. Personal Web Page
Academic Information

1st SCHOOL
FROM (mm/dd/yyyy) TO (mm/dd/yyyy) MAJOR

2nd SCHOOL

3rd SCHOOL

1. Current year in higher education
  2. If currently enrolled in college, what degree is expected
  3. Date (mm/dd/yyyy) that degree will be conferred
AADSAS Information

1. Date (mm/dd/yyyy) your AADSAS Application was sent
  2. What method did you use for submitting your AADSAS Application?
Open Ended Questions

(NOTE: There should be more than enough space to hold your longest of answers.)

1. Have you participated in an introduction to dentistry course? If yes, where, and when did you take the pre-dent course?
  2. By August, will you have completed the necessary hours, and courses to meet our entrance requirements? If not, please list the courses, and the credit hours you intend to take to meet our course requirements.
  3. Do you have relatives who are dentists or are in dental school? If yes, please name of each relative, relationship to you, the dental school, and dates of attendance.
  4. Indicate your plans following dental training If you choose "OTHER," please describe in more detail.
  5. Have you made previous application to the University of North Carolina School of Dentistry? If yes, please list all years of application
  6. Have you ever applied for, and been denied admission to any other dental school? If yes; when and where?
  7. Are you currently applying to other dental schools? If yes; when and where?
  8. Have you ever applied for and been denied admission to medical school? If yes; when and where?
  9. Have you ever been expelled, dismissed, suspended, placed on probation, or otherwise subject to any disciplinary sanction by any school, college, or university ?
  10. Have you ever been expelled, dismissed, suspended, placed on probation, or otherwise subject to any disciplinary sanction by any school, college, or university ?
  11. Give the reasons for your interest in dentistry, and for selecting dentistry as a profession.
  12. What have you done to explore dentistry as a career?
  13. Please List - Honors or Special Achievements.
  14. Please List- Your Strong Points.
  15. Please List- Areas Upon Which You Wish to Improve.
  16. Please comment on your performance on your college courses.
  17. Please comment on your performance on the DAT.
  18. Indicate any experiences that would demonstrate your ability to work with your hands.
  19. What have you done that demonstrates your ability to work effectively with people?
  20. Give a summary of your employment history.
  21. List any activities in areas other than studies in which you have excelled.
  22. List extracurricular endeavors, community services, and hobbies.
  23. Describe the major influences in your life.
  24. Describe any special circumstances that you feel the Admissions Committee should note, and take into consideration when reviewing your application.