AAMC FL vs Real Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shirafune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From reading many threads from the past, I know AAMC FLs are the best score predictors for the real MCAT. Now, I'm not sure if I'm just being freaking paranoid, but it just seems like everybody in this forum has their schnitz pulled together and has the content down real solid.

Don't get me wrong. I have been extremely happy with my AAMC FL scores so far (3, 4, 5, and 7). I also did the Self-Assessment package for extra practice and got a similar % of questions correct as I have for the FLs. I do not, by any means, have all my content down really well. I have been steadily improving simply by taking these tests and being better at dealing with these passages. I find, for the most part, that all the information you'll need to answer the questions is in the passage. Even for a good chunk of the discrete questions, there is a great deal of information put into the small vignettes. I have been scraping by through logic and a careful eye.

Can I safely assume that the real MCAT as of now (because I know these FLs are a little dated) is formatted and written in the same style and flow of logic? It would suck to be so happy and confident with my study progress, only to be destroyed by the real deal.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes you can safely assume that AAMC FL are as close to the test as you can get. Some are more accurate on difficulty etc., but altogether, they are the best. So, take an average of 3 tests and you get a realistic snapshot of where you currently are at.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I had one of the easier exams. The physical sciences felt like aamc 11 and the biological sciences felt like aamc 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience, the real MCAT was A LOT more difficult than the AAMC FL's (the version I had at least).

I read that people often have a harder PS section on the real MCAT.
with the exception of physical sciences, my real test felt JUST like aamc 11
Did you feel like they tested you more with questions that utilized knowing small bits of content? Or was it the passages that were harder to understand?
I'm hoping that things are more passage-oriented than content-based.

I disagree with what ppl said above.
If you are having hard time with timing on AAMC FLs, you will have problems on the real thing.
If you do not have any issues with timing, then I guess you will do fine.

About difficulty, I think they are the same. The real MCAT PS just has way way more calculation-based problems and BS is all about analyzing data.

I had a PS section that was definitely tougher than the real MCAT. Even taking out the nerves and anxiety surrounding the real test, the questions on the MCAT PS were tougher than the AAMCs for sure. They required more thinking, more analysis, and were more complex. There was one chem passage in which almost everyone felt like they guessed on every single question. The passage contained material that wasn't in any of the prep books.

VR and BS seemed about the same; BS was almost exactly like AAMC 11 although the discretes were more difficult IMO.

I disagree with what ppl said above.
If you are having hard time with timing on AAMC FLs, you will have problems on the real thing.
If you do not have any issues with timing, then I guess you will do fine.

About difficulty, I think they are the same. The real MCAT PS just has way way more calculation-based problems and BS is all about analyzing data.

Varies with exam. My previous exams PS last year was more intense and more calculation based than the one I recently took. My previous exam had 4 experimental passages on BS (excluding orgo). The one I had currently only had 1 experimental passage (excluding orgo). It is amazing how random it can get.

Also, I do not remember my source here, but I read somewhere that most times people score within 3 points above or 3 points below their average score on the AAMC exams.

Obviously not the case for everyone, just what I've heard. Not sure how true it is.

Also, I do not remember my source here, but I read somewhere that most times people score within 3 points above or 3 points below their average score on the AAMC exams.

Obviously not the case for everyone, just what I've heard. Not sure how true it is.

4+ for my friend, and 4- for me.
Sad...

Thought my MCAT BS was much more difficult than practice and everything else seemed similar to the practice exams. Still, the real exam was very similar in format to the practice exams and they are great practice.

According to my friend she said her MCAT was just like AAMC 3,4,5. Not really any different.