ABEM v. ABPS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfect Hair Day

Grapes of Wrath, Chocolate Ice Cream, Johnny Cash.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
4th year MD student here, committed to EM. Concerned over competitiveness & potentially not matching - was told by another student about Family Med as backdoor into EM. Did some homework on this, and it appears that FM-residency trained physicians can do an "EM fellowship" that allows for board certification in EM by ABPS.

I'm wondering if ABPS EM boarded physicians would be less likely to be considered for employment than ABEM boarded physicians? I understand there has been some pushback by ACEP against the ABPS docs from advertising selves as "board certified" and I guess I'm wondering if there is a bias against ABPS EM boarded physicians seeking fulltime employment in an ED, in say, desirable locations (the east/west coast, south florida, northeast, non-rural california, major cities, and so forth.)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, apply to FM as a back-up. If you only get 2 EM interviews, then maybe you'll have to take that route. But don't expect to get the good EM jobs without ABEM certification. My group wouldn't even look at your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure, apply to FM as a back-up. If you only get 2 EM interviews, then maybe you'll have to take that route. But don't expect to get the good EM jobs without ABEM certification. My group wouldn't even look at your application.

I'm more likely going to apply to Anesthesiology as a backup, or Surgery/Medicine preliminary years at sites w/ EM residencies that would take someone already in another residency field.