About the financial aid, salary and tuition during a Psy.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spikevampire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i am an italian guy, graduated in psychology

i would like to know about tuition, salary and financial aid because in my country academic stuffs are really different...
I'm trying to figure it out what is the cost of the whole course...

in depth:
what about tuition? i found that average costs of credit is about 70k dollars... is it right? i would like to know about the number of credit for a complete Psy.D., i think could be around 100 as i read

can i distribuite those credits in a bigger than 4 years in order to pay less tuition for year?

i recieve a sort of salarian for my pratice and training during a psy.d.?

there are financial aid different from simply loan?

thanks a lot for your answers... they could change my future....

Members don't see this ad.

University based psy.d programs in the US will often give moderate funding in the form of teaching assistantships and research assistantships. These are not usually enough to cover the cost of living on their own though, so other sources of income either through loans or other means are necessary in almost all psy.d programs. Baylor University might be the exception here, as I hear they have a great support package.

Psy.d programs based out of "professional schools" in the US charge much higher rates for tuitions, often upwards of 100K (25-30k per year). In my opinion (and many others on here) it is inadvisable to take out $150,000 with of loans for a career where you will make less than 70-80k per year.

Most people in psy.d programs in the US have to take out massive government loans, as the funding given to you by the school is often small. Citizenship might be an issue with getting federal government loans, im not too sure really.

Number of credits varies by program. Normally, it is not possible to attend a doctoral program on a part-time basis.

Last edited: