ABPMR finally responds to MOC debate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sblau001

yoyo1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MOC survey results — and how we’re responding

At the end of last year, the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPMR) surveyed all diplomates currently participating in the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program. We asked you what’s working, what’s not, and for your suggestions on how to make MOC more relevant to your practice. Thank you so much for your honest and valuable feedback!

In the meantime, the debate on MOC in the larger medical community has heated up. We have been monitoring the different facets of that conversation but we remain focused on the unique practices of physiatrists. It's the reason we conducted the survey in the first place — when considering changes to our MOC Program, the ABPMR is committed to our diplomates' needs and requests first.

So, this survey and the results have come at a prescient time: Just when the medical community and others have started asking questions about MOC, the ABPMR went first to our diplomates with our questions. The MOC survey provided extremely valuable feedback to the ABPMR and we will continue to solicit your ideas on program changes designed to make the process easier, clearer, more relevant, and more cost-effective. We welcome your input at any time. If you want to share your ideas and opinions, please contact the board office at [email protected] or 507-282-1776.

View or download the report online: ABPMR MOC Survey 2014: Report and insights for our diplomates

American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
3015 Allegro Park Lane SW
Rochester MN 55902-4139
507-282-1776 / Fax 507-282-9242

I don' think they get it. What we the physicians are saying is GET RID OF MOC COMPLETELY!!! GET RID OF THE RECERT EXAM COMPLETELY!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Tell them to get rid of MOC and that you're switching to NBPAS.

WHO THE HOLY FXCK with a grain of a brain would say ANYTHING positive about MOC in these surveys? Are our colleagues really that STUPID?!?! Some people actually said that MOC was "extremely relevant" to their practice...what practice do you have, a test-taking, opportunity-cost wasting practice?

39% said the MOC exam was relevant to their practice? ARE YOU KIDDING? DO YOU REALIZE YOU ARE GIVEN THESE EXTORTIONISTS MORE REASON TO EXTORT?

I knew before I opened the report that it would never say what it should say, which is "We apologize for extorting our membership and lining our greedy useless pockets, so we are canceling MOC extortion." That is what we all know it SHOULD say but they don't have the balls to do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Tell them to get rid of MOC and that you're switching to NBPAS.

Telling them and doing it are two different things. Most people are afraid of losing hospital privileges or being taken off insurances if they are not ACGME certified. :(

This is typical; the survey questions just reinforce what the board wants. Even if people answered that the questions were totally irrelevant, the board would say, "OMG we have to change the questions completely!" Dissolving the authors' livelihoods is definitely not on the menu.

Also, respondents to the survey (25%) are going to be more supportive than all diplomates. People who are yippee about the PIP are gonna be happy to jump on board and complete the survey. People who are pissed off and jaded are not gonna bother. Even among respondents, 38% said the PIP was a WASTE OF TIME. That's rather pathetic. But predictably, the ABPMR wants to CHANGE the PIP, not to ditch it.

Telling them and doing it are two different things. Most people are afraid of losing hospital privileges or being taken off insurances if they are not ACGME certified. :(

NBPAS got my money. I've already discussed this with the top physician staff where I have privileges and they agree with NBPAS and will be bringing it up for review in the very near future. As long as it's accepted and I maintain privileges I'm done with MOC.

Actually, DoctorJay, you wont be done with MOC, you will be done with ABPMR MOC. NBPAS "MOC" currently consists entirely of maintaining licensure and CME hours, and a small fee every couple of years...

remember that there is a not insignificant proportion of practitioners that are academic. these individuals will have a different viewpoint on MOC than clinical practitioners, both private and employed. these individuals are "tested" to teach the very nuggets of relatively useless information that makes up the core of the exam and MOC itself.

oh yes, and to ligament - you wont get a sizable response like "do away with MOC completely" if the survey does not have that as an option.

this is true Duct but $84.50/year and CME I'd do anyway to stay up to date is much much better than all the MOC garbage (PIP, multiple exams, higher fees) required by ABPMR.

I knew before I opened the report that it would never say what it should say, which is "We apologize for extorting our membership and lining our greedy useless pockets, so we are canceling MOC extortion." That is what we all know it SHOULD say but they don't have the balls to do it.

I'm hopeful that if other boards follow the ABIM, the ABPMR will eventually follow suit. I would actually be surprised if they were one of the first ABMS members to make significant changes to MOC.