Academic Dishonesty Record and Post-bacc programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

damagedcomm

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering whether post-bacc programs ask about academic integrity records and if that causes you to be automatically rejected from the program.

Members don't see this ad.

If it shows up on your transcripts or anywhere in your records, they will definitely ask about it. I was just reading a post about this yesterday. I forgot which thread it was or else I would tag it for you. But, they do ask. Thomas Jefferson post bac program definitely asked two people that I know who applied. It should not be an automatic rejection if it is a one time thing. Once is a mistake, we all make those, twice is a pattern.

I'm not sure if post-bacc programs all ask about it, but medical schools definitely will.

If you aren't prepared to talk about it for your post-bacc applications, then I would save the money and not apply because you will definitely need to address it in the future.

Academic integrity issues are a big deal. It will depend on the nature of what happened, how long ago, and how you present it.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If it shows up on your transcripts or anywhere in your records, they will definitely ask about it. I was just reading a post about this yesterday. I forgot which thread it was or else I would tag it for you. But, they do ask. Thomas Jefferson post bac program definitely asked two people that I know who applied. It should not be an automatic rejection if it is a one time thing. Once is a mistake, we all make those, twice is a pattern.
It's a little complicated in that I went to a military academy, and It happened twice in my Freshman year. One was truly an accident, and another was definitely my fault. I resigned, went to another college, and have a clean record since then. There was a lot going on like my friend and family passing away and getting surgeries during the semester. I was hoping 4 years of clean records after a major slip could show some type of redemption...

It's a little complicated in that I went to a military academy, and It happened twice in my Freshman year. One was truly an accident, and another was definitely my fault. I resigned, went to another college, and have a clean record since then. There was a lot going on like my friend and family passing away and getting surgeries during the semester. I was hoping 4 years of clean records after a major slip could show some type of redemption...
You're just going to have to apply, warts and all, and see how things shake out

Reactions: 1 users
It's hard to move away from 2 issues, It isn't impossible, but I will say you have a lot against you. Depending on how you did after, international school is an option, but it's a risky move. Personally, I'd say go for it if your GPA ended up >3.7 and MCAT >510

Unfortunately, as everyone has noted, your situation with 2 IA regarding academic integrity is very hard to overcome. Akin to climbing Mt. Everest solo without equipment as it relates to US Med school admission, without some kind of action(s) to show contrition and maturity, 4 years of a clean record won't likely be enough. Can't say how schools outside the US will view your app.

Since you asked, here are some out-of-the-box ideas that you might consider that will show that you have redeemed yourself, and shows contrition, owning up to your transgressions, and maturity.

1) Join the Peace Corp for the next several years in an underdeveloped country
2) Spend the next several years making speeches to local/national HS or college students about the importance of integrity and ethics
3) Create a podcast or Youtube channel and for the next several years, broadcast/make videos telling your story to listeners/viewers about integrity and ethics, e.g. There are ex-convicts on Youtube with a huge # of subscribers who are telling their viewers their story and lessons that they have learned while in prison, and how not to commit crimes, etc.
4) ...

Right now your only hope might be medschools outside the US. Depending on how old you are (assuming 20s), applying for US medschools in your late 20s or early 30's is becoming more acceptable if you spend the next few years redeeming yourself through action(s).

Unfortunately, as everyone has noted, your situation with 2 IA regarding academic integrity is very hard to overcome. Akin to climbing Mt. Everest solo without equipment as it relates to US Med school admission, without some kind of action(s) to show contrition and maturity, 4 years of a clean record won't likely be enough. Can't say how schools outside the US will view your app.

Since you asked, here are some out-of-the-box ideas that you might consider that will show that you have redeemed yourself, and shows contrition, owning up to your transgressions, and maturity.

1) Join the Peace Corp for the next several years in an underdeveloped country
2) Spend the next several years making speeches to local/national HS or college students about the importance of integrity and ethics
3) Create a podcast or Youtube channel and for the next several years, broadcast/make videos telling your story to listeners/viewers about integrity and ethics, e.g. There are ex-convicts on Youtube with a huge # of subscribers who are telling their viewers their story and lessons that they have learned while in prison, and how not to commit crimes, etc.
4) ...

Right now your only hope might be medschools outside the US. Depending on how old you are (assuming 20s), applying for US medschools in your late 20s or early 30's is becoming more acceptable if you spend the next few years redeeming yourself through action(s).
The infractions happened when I was 18-19, would it be possible possible to redeem myself earlier than this time?

Sorry! I wish I could come up with a magic pill for you. Go with the Peace Corps for 2-3 years and come back and apply for US medschools in your late 20s. Otherwise you could take a shot at schools outside the US right now. We all make mistakes, but unfortunately US Adcoms take academic integrity issues very very seriously. GL to you!

Randomly found this thread and I'm also late to it, but I do have a tip to try if you're still passionate about post-bacc/med school. If you want to get an honest review from someone more in the field of admission, try calling up/emailing some med schools and post-bacc programs to see if they'll be willing to speak with you about your odds and some tips if they have it (dont say over email or phone call when requesting the conversation with them that you have the academic honesty issue. Tell them after they have agreed to speak with you about your odds). If you see contact info of admission officers on their website, try contacting those people directly. I wouldn't recommend right now doing this because most health profession grad schools are swamped right now with this cycle's applicants, but when this cycle slows down and ends, I recommend attempting to contact. I personally didn't plan to apply last cycle for dental (feeling pretty helpless in my odds) , but I decided to contact an admission officer that I remembered from them once visiting my undergrad school. They ended up making time to speak with me via zoom. I laid out everything I got and they ended up encouraging me to apply that cycle and gave me tips for my app and admissions exam. I ended up getting into that school and others. I didn't have any academic dishonesty issues on my record, so I'm sure that can be a totally different beast, but never the less nobody is perfect and everyone has a story. Try explaining your side and how you're different now to an admission officer and see what they say. Even if they are negative, stay polite and remember to ask for tips. And most importantly, stay positive. We all have things we are not proud about, especially in our teens. What one school may say no to, another may take the chance on.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user