Are official post bacc programs a money grab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittleBitNeuro

Reaction score
I’ve been meeting with advisors at a couple local schools as I try to get my plan together.

School #1 is close to my house. They are a community college but do offer a couple 4 year degrees. No sort of post bacc support. I spent half the advising appointment straightening out that no, I’m not trying to get into the nursing program, I’m already a nurse. No I don’t want my BSN, I’m trying to be a doctor. She ended up giving me the email to the chemistry department head and said talk to them they will probably let me do whatever I want

School #2 is an hour away. 2 year community college but has a pretty new pre med post bacc program with dedicated advisors. The advisor seemed really excited for me and was able to give me a typed up plan of exactly what I need to do. Every class has a bunch of extra fees tacked on though

Both will be 1/10th the cost of the private university post bacc downtown (not affiliated with a med school)

My #1 is university of Washington (I know I know, it’s a reeeeeach) which says they don’t differentiate between CC and 4 year classes but they do take into account rigor of study, so who knows how much they actually care

In case it matters- cGPA 3.2 sGPA 3.5 15 years ago. Actually do want to go into rural primary care (I’m a hobby farmer) NP was the plan until I realized there’s no way that’s enough education to be independent with low resources around and I’d never be happy with it

Members don't see this ad.

How many classes are you looking to redo? If nothing else, the extra advising at school #2 is really helpful (especially if you can't get anything out of undergrad).

Reactions: 1 users
How many classes are you looking to redo? If nothing else, the extra advising at school #2 is really helpful (especially if you can't get anything out of undergrad).
Because the science pre reqs for nursing are a joke, all of them

Members don't see this ad :)
In that case I'd really recommend school #2 — talk to both to see but the extra advising is worth the cost

The program that's going to get you the pre-med pre requisites with the least amount of hassle is going to be your best bet. Where I live, a formal program is really the only way someone who already has a bachelor's degree can get the pre-med courses completed (all of the SoCal universities have restrictions on the bio/chem departments and courses due to demand/supply).

I am also a nurse and am in a formal post bac program and have been researching this process extensively. Yes, many schools will say they accept CC credits but "prefer" those taken at a 4-year university. There is a bias and it's not necessarily fair. If UW is your intended school, I'd do everything I could to make myself as competitive as possible since they're so insanely picky. (I'm assuming your a WA resident).

That being said...you need to do what is best for you in your specific circumstances. I know people that have done some of their pre-reqs at a CC and been admitted so it's possible! Good luck!