Accelerated Pre Reqs List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperNonTrad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this somewhat insane pre-reqs summer semester from Santa Clara University [http://www.scu.edu/summer/]
Santa Clara University Summer Sessions offers one year of General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and General Physics over nine weeks

Anyone know of something similar to this at other universities? Would love to have a list, might be useful!

(I am not asking for comments related to feasibility, insanity, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

google on accelerated premedical got 3 hits on the first page. filter out the BS/MD programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of universities do accelerated full year courses over the summer. Typically they do 1 semester in 4-6 weeks and the second in another 4-6 weeks. Classes usually meet 4-5 times for week with an extended class period to have the same number of hours as the full year course. Take a look at universities/community colleges in your area and I'm sure you will find some.
None of them are nine week intensives though. That's what I'm looking for more of.

My school offered intensive/accelerated OChem during the summer.
~40 school days/8 weeks to go through an entire year worth of material
lecture 5 days a week, lab 4 days a week, essentially lab report due + mini-test each day

fun times ... :dead:

A lot of universities do accelerated full year courses over the summer. Typically they do 1 semester in 4-6 weeks and the second in another 4-6 weeks. Classes usually meet 4-5 times for week with an extended class period to have the same number of hours as the full year course. Take a look at universities/community colleges in your area and I'm sure you will find some.

Sorry to share my idiotic opinion, even though you asked that responders avoid doing so.
Seriously, for me, I would not be interested in abbreviated organic chemistry courses. Same thing with biochemistry. The exception would be IF that is the only course you are taking, and you are pretty much doing nothing else other than eating, sleeping, breathing that particular course. Perhaps it's just me. I think it's problematic to do this. I think you might be OK with say a General Chem or something like that during a shorter term. But, OK. What do I know? You may be an amazing genius with an eidetic memory, so...Good luck to you. Hope you find what you need.

I did accelerated Organic Chem I + II along with accelerated Physics I + II over this past summer. Both OC I/II and Physics I/II were 6 weeks each, enabling me to finish the whole year of both classes in 12 weeks. It was hard work, but I learned the material well and it was actually nice to have exposure to the material and lecture every day. Kept me on my toes! This was at an accredited Post-Bacc Pre-Med program at Northwestern Health Sciences University in Minnesota.

Sorry to share my idiotic opinion, even though you asked that responders avoid doing so.
Seriously, for me, I would not be interested in abbreviated organic chemistry courses. Same thing with biochemistry. The exception would be IF that is the only course you are taking, and you are pretty much doing nothing else other than eating, sleeping, breathing that particular course. Perhaps it's just me. I think it's problematic to do this. I think you might be OK with say a General Chem or something like that during a shorter term. But, OK. What do I know? You may be an amazing genius with an eidetic memory, so...Good luck to you. Hope you find what you need.

It wasn't a question of idiotic opinion. I don't think your opinion is idiotic, in fact. But I wanted to avoid that whole subject and keep the thread on topic so it can be resourceful, that's all.

It wasn't a question of idiotic opinion. I don't think your opinion is idiotic, in fact. But I wanted to avoid that whole subject and keep the thread on topic so it can be resourceful, that's all.
No problem.
Everyone has to get a firm understanding of their style and ways and ability to learn.
Do what works best for you, especially if you really get how you learn. :)

Seems like an awesome option that gives you a lot of flexibility with start dates of classes, getting things done fast, in-person lectures/labs + WASC accredited so should be accepted by all schools as far as I can tell. Where is the catch?
Even on their own website, no testimonials from successful students.

Even on their own website, no testimonials from successful students.

I feel like testimonials would make me more skeptical... and they could just be made-up anyways.

$1800 for a 4-credit class seems pretty reasonable to me if I can get the credits done in under 22 days. I'm looking at this to quickly knock out an OChem2 requirement post-acceptance, to leave me more vacation time prior to school starting in the fall. For my purposes, it seems to fit the bill perfectly at first glance.

I feel like testimonials would make me more skeptical... and they could just be made-up anyways.
Sure. But they got nothing online. Not here on SDN, not anywhere else. All those folks who're enrolled - where are they now? I can't figure out the track record of this program. If that's the case, why would I consider this program instead of 250/class at a CC? That's one big reason I decided to go CC instead of this program.

Edit: there are folks on here who made it to DO with courses from the CC I'm currently enrolled. Of course it's all anonymous but I have to believe.

Yes you are right, the choice of collenge depend only on future students.

Agree with checking out summer schedules of local area colleges. My undergrad had a 1-2 week May session, then classes that went for about 6 weeks for the first summer term, then another for 6 weeks the second summer term, plus a few that went at a slower pace across the full summer.

I really took advantage of that as I was doing two degrees and had a half tuition scholarship that only lasted 4 years. So I really needed to finish in 4.

The first two summers I knocked out ~13 credits on average. To make sure I finished in 4 years I took 31 credits the 3rd summer. It was rather unpleasant and I had to get approval to do it, couldn't really do anything else, but I did manage all A's and knock out a years worth of work. It should be noted my degrees were bio and psych so these were a mix and not all hard science classes.

So you don't necessarily need a special program to fit in a boatload of credits in a short time period. You just really have to know yourself and what you're capable of.

Sure. But they got nothing online. Not here on SDN, not anywhere else. All those folks who're enrolled - where are they now? I can't figure out the track record of this program. If that's the case, why would I consider this program instead of 250/class at a CC? That's one big reason I decided to go CC instead of this program.

Edit: there are folks on here who made it to DO with courses from the CC I'm currently enrolled. Of course it's all anonymous but I have to believe.
I found a recent thread about it with gyngyn's post:
Pre-Reqs through Southern California University of Health Sciences?
In addition, I don't like the fact that some posters who raved the program are members with very few posts in which content was all about advertising this program.
Also, based on the following thread back in 2013, even some dental schools didn't accept pre-reqs from that program:
Taking prerequisite at Southern California University of Health Sciences (SCU)

To each their own, I just don't want my app to be frowned upon by any school so I'd steer clear.

Reactions: 1 users