Accepted Students (c/o '21) What Are Your Summer Plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRod94

Cornell c/o 2021!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I saw an older version of this thread and I absolutely loved looking through it so I thought I'd create one for this cycle that is quickly coming to a close!
For those of you who have been accepted into the class of 2021, what are your summer plans before starting school this Fall?

I personally am planing trips to Texas, the Florida Keys, and Puerto Rico! As well as catch up on years of sleep!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I have a super chill job as a dog-walker so my plan is to keep the summer as stress-free as possible before my mental state deteriorates in the fall.

My plan is to walk dogs, go birding in new places around Illinois, and play as much Skyrim, Zelda, and Fallout as possible.

So excited for fall. Currently my summer plans are in the balance. I'm hoping to hear back from the biomedical engineering dept at my school for a lab animal tech position. I'd be helping animals recover from surgery, husbandry, collecting data, etc. Also meeting with a pathologist after spring break about research opportunities. Really hoping that works out. It's research in how compounds affect blood brain tumors. I'll update again once I find out from these two positions!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a super chill job as a dog-walker so my plan is to keep the summer as stress-free as possible before my mental state deteriorates in the fall.

My plan is to walk dogs, go birding in new places around Illinois, and play as much Skyrim, Zelda, and Fallout as possible.
Sounds like a great summer! If you like games like Skyrim may I recommend The Witcher 3 and the FarCry series. They are awesome open world concept games!

Reactions: 1 user
So excited for fall. Currently my summer plans are in the balance. I'm hoping to hear back from the biomedical engineering dept at my school for a lab animal tech position. I'd be helping animals recover from surgery, husbandry, collecting data, etc. Also meeting with a pathologist after spring break about research opportunities. Really hoping that works out. It's research in how compounds affect blood brain tumors. I'll update again once I find out from these two positions!!!!

Wow! Good luck with your research/job positions!!

Sounds like a great summer! If you like games like Skyrim may I recommend The Witcher 3 and the FarCry series. They are awesome open world concept games!

I actually bought Witcher 3 while Steam was having it's big end of year sale, but my computer lags SO bad with it and I've made zero progress. I'm wondering if I need to buy a better graphics card to support it.

I've never tried the FarCry series--I'll definitely look into it ;)

I actually bought Witcher 3 while Steam was having it's big end of year sale, but my computer lags SO bad with it and I've made zero progress. I'm wondering if I need to buy a better graphics card to support it.

I've never tried the FarCry series--I'll definitely look into it ;)
I vote yes to the graphics card, it's an incredible game! Worth every penny!

Far cry will also probably need a better graphics card, but the story lines are worth it as well!

I'm gonna start a fight club maybe.

But actually, I'm gonna watch movies, hang out with my kitty kitty meow meow, watch fireworks, swim, wear sunscreen, go hiking, grill, barbecue, catch up on Netflix shows, sleep, listen to music, read, and do all kinds of other fun stuff.

Also I'm currently working on planning some kind of practicum/capstone for my Masters, but that's in Stage -25 of planning so lol. I don't technically have to do it this summer so I'm not going to hurt myself over it, although I'm trying to swing working at animal control for it.

Reactions: 6 users
I vote yes to the graphics card, it's an incredible game! Worth every penny!

Far cry will also probably need a better graphics card, but the story lines are worth it as well!
I've been waiting for Far Cry Primal to get cheap enough on a steam sale

Far Cry 3 and 4 were :love:

But actually, I'm gonna watch movies, hang out with my kitty kitty meow meow, watch fireworks, swim, wear sunscreen, go hiking, grill, barbecue, catch up on Netflix shows, sleep, listen to music, read, and do all kinds of other fun stuff.

Also I'm currently working on planning some kind of practicum/capstone for my Masters, but that's in Stage -25 of planning so lol. I don't technically have to do it this summer so I'm not going to hurt myself over it, although I'm trying to swing working at animal control for it.
I thought you already started a fight club?

I've been waiting for Far Cry Primal to get cheap enough on a steam sale

Far Cry 3 and 4 were :love:
Far Cry primal is great! Honestly I liked 3 the best though. Love the sharks! Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a special summer only chapter of the organization
I thought the first rule of fight club was not to talk about fight club? Perhaps I am mistaken.

Keep working/learning from the vets at work, spend the rest of the time riding my horse and playing Guild Wars. Or SimCity.

That goes until June when I'm going to take A&M's anatomy workshop and hope I've sold the horse by then.

I am going to hang out with my super awesome mentor all summer and work full time at the job I love, read some books, hopefully adopt a second cat, go hike some new places and definitely get my kayak out! I am so excited for three months to take a breath and spend time with my favorite people!

...and then, you know...move to a new place!

Last edited:
I've thought about taking a vacation, but I'm probably just going to cash out my PTO because that's like...free money man.

Hey everyone! So I saw an older version of this thread and I absolutely loved looking through it so I thought I'd create one for this cycle that is quickly coming to a close!
For those of you who have been accepted into the class of 2021, what are your summer plans before starting school this Fall?

I personally am planing trips to Texas, the Florida Keys, and Puerto Rico! As well as catch up on years of sleep!
YAY TEXAS.

YAY FIGHT CLUB! SIGN ME UP!

I thought you already started a fight club?
and a cult. She's a natural leader.

Are you a resident of the lone star state?? I grew up there so I'm gonna visit some friends!
I am!!!! (I get really passionate about Texas haha)

As for my summer plans, I have to have jaw surgery this summer (which has a 6 week- no work, recovery time). I'm gonna try to shadow a couple different specialties? I'd love to shadow a surgeon for a while.

Other than that, maybe go on vacation, drive up to Indiana and slum it with my family for a week, paint more, enjoy my summer. Oh I also turn 21 this summer so they'll be... associated fun involved with that.

My plans include moving across the country, helping SO find a job across said country, and working at my day job until I pay off my undergrad debt (private)! For fun stuff I'm planning on fostering until we move to fill the doggy hole in my heart, screwing up my sleep schedule as much as possible, and hopefully getting into shape so I can be one of those beautiful CA people. :cool:

Reactions: 4 users
YAY FIGHT CLUB! SIGN ME UP!

and a cult. She's a natural leader.

That's awesome!! Texas was amazing when I was growing up. The city I used to live in has changed so much but it's still nostalgic to me. So I'm very excited!

No... but please tell me more!
If you loved Far Cry 3...Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is goddamn amazing. Look up some gameplay or the trailer, but it has the gr8est 80s music and neon vibe, with really kickass humour that I looooved.

That's awesome!! Texas was amazing when I was growing up. The city I used to live in has changed so much but it's still nostalgic to me. So I'm very excited!

I'm probably one of the few...but moved to Texas almost 6 years ago and I'm impatiently waiting for the day I can move outta here

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going on a vacation with my family to Ft. Lauderdale for 4 days, rereading the Harry Potter series, hanging with friends, and hopefully getting a ton of wedding planning done!
I'm still going to be full time at my job, which in all honesty, is super stressful (sort of a toxic situation but I'm stuck there due to money concerns). But I'm going to try to make this summer as stress free as I possibly can!

I'm probably one of the few...but moved to Texas almost 6 years ago and I'm impatiently waiting for the day I can move outta here
Lol are you going to vet school at A&M? Are they keeping you hostage in Texas forever xD

Lol are you going to vet school at A&M? Are they keeping you hostage in Texas forever xD
Yeah, I thought A&M would be the least likely of schools I'd be attending, but thanks to their awesome IS tuition, here I am! For another 4 years. Hopefully less ;)

I am planning to work to save up some extra cash/pay off my doggies ortho surgeries that came up (one TPLO and one plate removal). I work on-call in our teaching hospital's ECCM service but also just got hired PT at a GP again (they are fully aware I may be moving in the fall but were in major need of extra help). Initially, I wanted to work a ton but I've backed off on that as I realize how important it's going to be to mentally prepare myself for vet school in the fall. These two jobs work well in allowing fairly consistent hours without going overboard, and were accommodating to me scheduling two trips.

The two trips I would really like to do...
1. Visit my mom in NJ. She moved there in January and I miss her like crazy. I envision this trip involving home cooked meals, goofy movies, and other general mom time.
2. Go to California with my boyfriend and our pibble Ollie to visit my brother, his girlfriend, and their two pibbles. This trip would involve lots of beaching, grilling, playing music, mountain climbing. The last time my SO and I traveled together, he played shows that just barely payed for our gas money (he normally tours with a band). He's working on doing something similar as we get this trip planned.

Gosh, thinking about those trips makes me sooooo happy!!

Reactions: 4 users
. Initially, I wanted to work a ton but I've backed off on that as I realize how important it's going to be to mentally prepare myself for vet school in the fall.

:thumbup: Good plan.

All the best to ya'll as you enjoy the next few months and prepare for what's next!

And before someone says something to this effect -- for the love of all things good, do not try to study ahead over the summer. It really won't do you much (if any) good.

Have fun, and come into vet school with a brain that is rested and recharged. :)

Last edited:
I'm not going to be working, which will be very different for me since I usually work full-time in the summer as a lifeguard! My summer plans include kayaking as much as possible, hikes, beach days, baseball games, and hopefully an Ed Sheeran concert right before I move! :) I also have a couple of scrap books that I'll be finishing up and will hopefully be able to get back into drawing/painting since I haven't had much time for either lately.

My plans include moving across the country, helping SO find a job across said country, and working at my day job until I pay off my undergrad debt (private)! For fun stuff I'm planning on fostering until we move to fill the doggy hole in my heart, screwing up my sleep schedule as much as possible, and hopefully getting into shape so I can be one of those beautiful CA people. :cool:

Don't worry, most of us like tacos and In n Out too much to be in shape! ;)

Mmmm, tacos. :)

One of my favorite CA memories... waking up in San Pedro at 6 AM on our friends couch to someone yelling "TAMALES TAMALES" that they were selling. What other magical place has a tamale guy? My boyfriend and I still randomly say that to each other.

I moved to NY, separate from my husband going to his new duty station because it made more financial sense. Have an interview next week at a clinic that knows I'd be temporary. Mostly getting in shape and getting used to the area. I know no one.

Mmmm, tacos. :)

One of my favorite CA memories... waking up in San Pedro at 6 AM on our friends couch to someone yelling "TAMALES TAMALES" that they were selling. What other magical place has a tamale guy? My boyfriend and I still randomly say that to each other.
CA resident here and that is honestly one of the biggest things I will miss about CA when I leave! That and the corn lady/man with all their goodies. You honestly can't match anything to either of those things haha.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Mexico, I'm going to Wyoming to learn to do dentals on a dude string and I'm also going to Alaska to visit my best friend. I may have a horse to train and if I have any spare time I'd like to work a little bit. Wow, writing this all down is making me really excited for my summer!!!

Move out to Twin Cities in June and work as a camp counselor at the Como zoo until school starts in September :)

I moved to NY, separate from my husband going to his new duty station because it made more financial sense. Have an interview next week at a clinic that knows I'd be temporary. Mostly getting in shape and getting used to the area. I know no one.

I'm going to be in your boat as well when I move up to NY, not knowing anyone! (Not until August though). I'm seriously dreading the 18 hour drive up from Fl.
Let me know how easy it is to adjust to Ithaca! (I'm assuming that's where you moved to in NY).

I'm going to work all summer as an epidemiologist and save as much money as I can. Learn how to use SAS. Lay the foundation for the main project I was hired on to do. I'll probably spend a little money here and there.:) Use my employer based health insurance to do all those maintenance things I haven't really done for years because I was a poor student.

I have a few craft projects that I'd like to finish up (possibly make a dining table and some benches with my dad, finish a wall mural, finish painting some furniture). I want to fix up the second bedroom into a more efficient office/study space. I also want to clean up my patio area and make it really nice so I actually use it (get an umbrella, plant some flowers, grow some vegetables, buy some cushions for the bench, etc.).

I am moving back home for a few months to spend time with family and am hoping to find an animal related part time job.

Also, I will be traveling with my brother and best friends (hopefully). We are thinking a road trip to the national parks out west! OH YEAH!

Can I ask how you all are funding the fun? I have to work because my bills need paid and I am trying to save as much money as possible before I start vet school.

Can I ask how you all are funding the fun? I have to work because my bills need paid and I am trying to save as much money as possible before I start vet school.
Working my butt off before summer vacation starts. And then getting a summer job once I return from my travel adventures

My brand of fun doesn't require much "funding";)

I'm going to be in your boat as well when I move up to NY, not knowing anyone! (Not until August though). I'm seriously dreading the 18 hour drive up from Fl.
Let me know how easy it is to adjust to Ithaca! (I'm assuming that's where you moved to in NY).

Fine so far, although I haven't gotten out to socialize much because I'm solo and currently broke from moving expenses.

We moved up from South Carolina via Connecticut, so I feel you on the drive. It wasn't too bad except my dogs were sick of it.

I planned on just staying home with family and friends for the most part and enjoying the California Summer, but I got into The Merial Veterinary Summer Research Program at MSU which begins in May. I don't want to leave early, but it's going to be a great opportunity.

I'm probably going to drive up to Zion for a day in April though since I've still never been, and then have a mini-vacation up in Park City, UT! I figure now is the time to have at least a bit of fun before the madness begins.

As for my summer plans, I have to have jaw surgery this summer (which has a 6 week- no work, recovery time). I'm gonna try to shadow a couple different specialties? I'd love to shadow a surgeon for a while.

Other than that, maybe go on vacation, drive up to Indiana and slum it with my family for a week, paint more, enjoy my summer. Oh I also turn 21 this summer so they'll be... associated fun involved with that.
Come visit me at Purdue!