ACT/SAT vs. 2015 MCAT correlation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carmiche

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I know the old mcat didn't have a strong correlation with these, but it is a new test and I don't think this question has been reanalyzed.

I'm on my phone right now so I don't think I can create an interactive spreadsheet. Go ahead and comment with:

- Highest ACT score and/or
- Highest SAT score
- Highest MCAT 2015 score.
^ only 2015 please.

If you want to remain anonymous, feel free to PM your stats.

I will go through the data later today!

Tentative results (updated 9/2/15):

upload_2015-9-2_16-17-39.png

N = 22. Correlation Coefficient = 0.479

upload_2015-9-2_16-17-51.png

N = 28. Correlation Coefficient = 0.565

ACT is looking more correlated than SAT at the moment.

We are still far from reliable data. Keep posting, ask friends, etc. I posted this on reddit as well. Hopefully that will provide some more data.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'd expect some correlation.

SAT: 2400
'15 MCAT: 527

If I had to guess I would say the strongest correlation would be between SAT Verbal and ACT Science with the MCAT simply based on the practice and studying I have done this entire summer. The passages in ACT science are like a step down from the MCAT science sections and SAT Verbal is really the only section resembling the MCAT.

I'll post here later when I actually take the real exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 516 and had a 2190 SAT. I didn't study for the SAT more than two weeks. The biggest issue that I see is the inconsistent prep for the SAT/ACT. I live in an area where most people don't crack any prep books for the SAT/ACT and even taking Subject tests are rare. We have great state schools and it is just more relaxed than the East Coast madness. For the MCAT those around me do study for it, though nobody I know takes an entire summer off to study and few take classes like Kaplan.

I have a 516 and had a 2190 SAT. I didn't study for the SAT more than two weeks. The biggest issue that I see is the inconsistent prep for the SAT/ACT. I live in an area where most people don't crack any prep books for the SAT/ACT and even taking Subject tests are rare. We have great state schools and it is just more relaxed than the East Coast madness. For the MCAT those around me do study for it, though nobody I know takes an entire summer off to study and few take classes like Kaplan.

There are some limitations, yes.
In my opinion the SAT/ACT require a much smaller knowledge base to succeed. Whereas one must know many principles in many disciplines to be successful on the MCAT. I think this is the discrepancy between amount of time studied for each test.

Another large issue I see is the fact that a lot of people take the SAT/ACT more than once. As for the MCAT the overwhelming majority take it once due to the visibility of all scores.

In my opinion the SAT/ACT require a much smaller knowledge base to succeed. Whereas one must know many principles in many disciplines to be successful on the MCAT. I think this is the discrepancy between amount of time studied for each test.

Another large issue I see is the fact that a lot of people take the SAT/ACT more than once. As for the MCAT the overwhelming majority take it once due to the visibility of all scores.
SAT/ACT is also much "shallower" in content depth, often testing common sense instead of classroom material. While this is also somewhat present on the MCAT, it is much less pronounced. Multiple MCAT attempts are probably more common than you think, though less common than SAT/ACT, yes.

**Oops I missed the part about it being 2015 only.

Last edited:
My brother, not me:

ACT: 22
SAT: 1480 (out of 2400)
(the tests were taken only 1 year after we came back from Egypt. He went K-5 in the USA, grades 6-10 in Egypt, came back to USA after 10th grade/beginning of junior year)

MCAT (3 attempts, 2 old one in May):
27 (11/6/10)
29 (10/8/11)
513 (130 Phys, 129 P/S, 128 B, 126 CARS)

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but my high school scores:
ACT: 30
Never took SAT

Last edited:
I believe the ACT is more closely correlated to the MCAT than the SAT. The SAT tests more 'innate' abilities, but the ACT is much more possible to be studied for just like the MCAT.

The math and English portion of the ACT both require you to know certain rules and information to be able to do well. The reading portion is reading comprehension, although it's easier than CARS it's still analogous. The science portion tests your ability to draw inferences from data and scientific arguments, just as the new MCAT is geared to test (especially the new bio section).

The reading and science portions of the ACT can also be studied by using test-taking strategies

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys. The MCAT scores right now are all on the rather high side. I expected this from SDN, honestly. Keep posting, and when I get some time I'll PM some people from WMU and see if they'd be willing to participate.

ACT: 24
SAT: 1770
MCAT: 507

Standardized testing isn't my forte :yeahright:

Members don't see this ad :)
ACT: 24
SAT: 1770
MCAT: 507

Standardized testing isn't my forte :yeahright:

meh, a 507 is still commendable. It also shows that you studied very hard if you scored sub-27 on ACT and still got close to an old 30 MCAT.

meh, a 507 is still commendable. It also shows that you studied very hard if you scored sub-27 on ACT and still got close to an old 30 MCAT.

Haha well thanks! My grades have always been great, but my tests aren't up to par with them. 'Tis alright though!
Also more data for the pile of my roommate:

SAT:1970
MCAT:513

LOL weeeeeell I scored a 36 on the English and Reading sections of my ACT and my CARS section of my MCAT was a 124 lmao leaves a lot to be desired! In contrast, my Science section of my ACT was my lowest...like a 30....and my two hard science sections on the new MCAT were over 90th percentile.

IMHO, the new MCAT really reflects where you concentrated your studying efforts!

The ACT/SAT are total jokes compared to the MCAT tho. I hardly studied for the the ACT and got a 99 percentile score. I studied for the MCAT for 3.5 months and scored in the garbage percentile.

Reactions: 11 users
LOL weeeeeell I scored a 36 on the English and Reading sections of my ACT and my CARS section of my MCAT was a 124 lmao leaves a lot to be desired! In contrast, my Science section of my ACT was my lowest...like a 30....and my two hard science sections on the new MCAT were over 90th percentile.

IMHO, the new MCAT really reflects where you concentrated your studying efforts!

So would you say that CARS is study-able to a degree? As in it's possible for a 2-3 point improvement from a baseline score 0f 124?

I want to take my MCAT next summer and am trying to find a way to prepare for verbal from now (reading non-fiction books, etc.). My ACT score was 30 overall (30 English, 34 Math, 26 Reading (yikes), 30 Science). But I got 8 verbal on aamc 10... So I need at least a 1-2 pt. improvement.

The ACT/SAT are total jokes compared to the MCAT tho. I hardly studied for the the ACT and got a 99 percentile score. I studied for the MCAT for 3.5 months and scored in the garbage percentile.

I mean there is at least a weak positive correlation between SAT/ACT VR with MCAT VR/CARS since both deal with reading comprehension. It's probably insignificant given what we're seeing here but it's something.

I could argue the opposite: many people don't take SAT/ACT seriously and wing it successfully in one shot. Despite the MCAT being permanent and visible, retakes are more prevalent to get into a more coveted school, a factor possibly more important than college selections.

I mean there is at least a super weak positive correlation between SAT/ACT VR with MCAT VR/CARS since both deals with reading comprehension. It's probably insignificant given what we're seeing here but it's something.

I could argue the opposite: many people don't take SAT/ACT seriously and wing it successfully in one shot. Despite the MCAT being permanent and visible, retakes are more prevalent to get into a more coveted school, a factor possibly more important than college selections.

FTFY

@mock94 I'm not the best person to ask. I completely winged the CARS section and thought my overall score was good enough to not retake. I also took the LSAT and scored a 172, so with that score + my ACT scores I went into the MCAT feeling a bit cocky towards verbal and obviously paid for it. I don't know if studying would improve your score, but I think at least reviewing a practice passage would have improved mine.

After seeing that I scored a 124 I did some review and noticed that the verbal on the MCAT is much more focused on the main idea than anything else. After taking the LSAT I was trained to look for flawed evidence and eliminate answers accordingly, which isn't how the MCAT works (the main idea may be based on flawed reasoning and I would eliminate a correct answer choice). If you are struggling to identify main ideas, I'm not sure how much studying will help you. If you just need help answering questions faster, it will help you a lot.

Do you think the converse is true? That doing well in the MCAT (or specifically on VR/CARS) will ensure comparable success on the SAT/ACT?

I don't think you'll find anyone to experiment the reverse lol

I don't think you'll find anyone to experiment the reverse lol

Neither do I, but i hear consistent reports that each exam is harder than the previous. Over in Allo and Step I forums, people are saying (often humorously) that they can use their Step I torture studying to retroactively smash their MCAT.

It goes to show that as harder exams are taken, the correlation with the easier exam becomes weaker, if not negligible.

Do you think the converse is true? That doing well in the MCAT (or specifically on VR/CARS) will ensure comparable success on the SAT/ACT?

Well I don't think anyone would want to experiment this, but yea if you demolish the mcat with a 90+ mcat score, the ACT and SAT should be a piece of cake

Neither do I, but i hear consistent reports that each exam is harder than the previous. Over in Allo and Step I forums, people are saying (often humorously) that they can use their Step I torture studying to retroactively smash their MCAT.

It goes to show that as harder exams are taken, the correlation with the easier exam becomes weaker, if not negligible.

Eh on this one, I dont know about... I have many friends who have gone through medical school or are in medical school right now.

Its split about 50/50 as to their opinions regarding which test was harder for them to do well on: The MCAT or Step 1.

Some of them say they had a much harder time with the MCAT while others say the MCAT was very easy in comparison.

Almost EVERYONE (including me) I know who has taken the MCAT will tell you that the ACT is child's play.

Of course this is based on my experiences.

Here's what we really care about:

MCAT
Step I
Step II

There's good data showing that MCAT scores correlate with med school success and boards performance.

I don't know if anyone has made the connection from SAT/ACT -> med school and/or MCAT.

Some people naturally can throw a 90 MPH fastball, or pick up a foreign language very rapidly. So standardized test taking is, for some, a native skill as well.

Hey guys!

I know the old mcat didn't have a strong correlation with these, but it is a new test and I don't think this question has been reanalyzed.

I'm on my phone right now so I don't think I can create an interactive spreadsheet. Go ahead and comment with:

- Highest ACT score and/or
- Highest SAT score
- Highest MCAT 2015 score.
^ only 2015 please.

If you want to remain anonymous, feel free to PM your stats.

I will go through the data later today!

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Can you post composite scores for both? thanks

Can you post the actual scores or PM to me? Thanks

I guess I improved overall but my verbal percentage is about the same as CARS. My SAT was 2090, 640 verbal, 740 math and 710 writing.
MCAT was 516 130 Chem/Phys, 128 CARS, 129 Bio, 129 Psych/Soc.

I'd expect some correlation, just because they're both standardized tests, both reward verbal and quantitative ability etc. That said, I think there would be a much stronger correlation between hours spent studying for the mcat and mcat score. I literally never studied for the ACT and scored in the 99th percentile-- and plenty of kids do that each year. I've never heard of anyone scoring in the top percentiles of the MCAT without putting in serious effort.

And you can't even really study for the ACT/SAT. It just comes down to were you privileged enough to learn how to read and write and do math well at a very early age, ie did you have the money to go to a good school or live in a good district and did your parents have the time and priorities to expect your homework to be done, etc. And innate intelligence.

Last edited:
Here's what we really care about:

MCAT
Step I
Step II

There's good data showing that MCAT scores correlate with med school success and boards performance.

I don't know if anyone has made the connection from SAT/ACT -> med school and/or MCAT.

Some people naturally can throw a 90 MPH fastball, or pick up a foreign language very rapidly. So standardized test taking is, for some, a native skill as well.

I agree with your point but it always annoys me when people use sports analogies like this. No one can naturally throw 90, it takes years of practice and weight room.

I should add that being 99th percentile for the ACT/SAT and being 99th percentile for the MCAT are 2 COMPLETELY different things. Go through a testing room for an ACT/SAT and there's a chance you'll find a person or two just fall asleep after the first couple sections(happened both times I took it). That's the kind of pool of testers your talking about. The national average is around 1500. Even for State U's with 80%+ type acceptance rates, this is often at least 150-200 points below the average. Many people who take it are just happy to graduate high school and MAYBE go to college. Many who take the SAT graduate high school and then just go work.

The only real correlation worth even trying to look at is MCAT Verbal vs SAT reading imo. I would expect some correlation between people who had medicore SAT reading scores and having problems with MCAT verbal as well. I think the trend is less clear for those with high SAT reading scores and doing well on the MCAT Verbal.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with your point but it always annoys me when people use sports analogies like this. No one can naturally throw 90, it takes years of practice and weight room.
No one can naturally crush the SAT and MCAT. It takes years of good academics and building of foundation knowledge.

No one can naturally crush the SAT and MCAT. It takes years of good academics and building of foundation knowledge.

Not entirely true... there are people who have a 3.1 gpa who have 37+ MCAT scores.

Hehe oh ACT/SAT, you useless measurers of nothing, you.

ACT: 34
SAT: 2130
MCAT: 522

Not entirely true... there are people who have a 3.1 gpa who have 37+ MCAT scores.
Just like how there's always a few people who've never touched a baseball that can throw 90. True exceptions.

Also, people on SDN lost sight of this, but a 3.1 isn't bad at all....for med schools yes it's low but that still signifies mastery of the vast majority of the material (B average).

Holy crap, 13 apps total, 12 to top schools??? Ballsy
I only applied to schools I really wanted to attend/had a vested interest in because a) not made of money and b) I would attend my state school over any comparable-level schools. But I digress because this thread isn't about me!

You never saw some of my high school classmates in action.

Now, a 90 MPH curveball, that takes practice!

Proper amount of HGH and whatever else it is the big leaguers are using these days as well.

Aren't high school juniors the only ones who care about SAT scores?

Reactions: 1 user
Wasn't there a study a few years ago about Step 1 correlation to SAT Verbal scores? Maybe that is why WUSTL is asking.

Cant say I'm surprised seeing people get 99% in ACT/SAT getting 99% on MCAT as well.

Thanks everyone for contributing; please keep it up. As of right now n = 7-10. If you know friends who took the 2015 MCAT and could ask them and post their data, that would be great.

Will update and post the tentative graphs tonight.