ACT/SAT vs. 2015 MCAT correlation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACT - 34
MCAT - 520

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACT: 27
MCAT: 517

(I studied about 50 times more for the MCAT though)

Reactions: 1 user
Are we the same person?
What were your score breakdowns?

Yeah I saw your post earlier and was surprised haha.

I cant remember the ACT breakdown but they were all between like 26 and 29 depending on which test day I took it (but always averaged to 27)
For the MCAT it was PC: 130, CARS: 128, Bio: 131, BS: 128

It got me all excited. Especially because of your pic- I had a pug till he died a couple months ago ;(.
Aw shoot.. we have our BS/PC swappeeedd. My breakdown for the MCAT was : PC:128, CARs: 128, Bio: 131, BS: 130.

Members don't see this ad :)
First ACT attempt: 27 (25 English, 28 math, 28 reading, 26 science)

Second ACT attempt: 30 (30 English, 34 math, 24 reading (panicked on 2 passages), 30 science)

Superscored ACT composite: 31

MCAT: 517. (130 P/C, 127 CARS, 129 BIOL, 131 Psych/Soc)

Total hours studied for ACT: 50-60 hours for first and second attempts combined.

Total hours studied for MCAT: 400+ hours. 20 hrs/week for 5 months.

ACT 33
MCAT 520

ACT: 27
MCAT: 517

(I studied about 50 times more for the MCAT though)

First ACT attempt: 27 (25 English, 28 math, 28 reading, 26 science)

Second ACT attempt: 30 (30 English, 34 math, 24 reading (panicked on 2 passages), 30 science)

Superscored ACT composite: 31

MCAT: 517. (130 P/C, 127 CARS, 129 BIOL, 131 Psych/Soc)

Total hours studied for ACT: 50-60 hours for first and second attempts combined.

Total hours studied for MCAT: 400+ hours. 20 hrs/week for 5 months.

Thanks guys I will add these and update the main post.

Really the people whom I would want to ask this question to(not they would actually answer it and just give some lip service) are the schools in their secondaries that ask for SAT scores(Jefferson come to mind). Those are the ones with the kind of data from thousands and thousands of applicants over many years who can provide some real insight into this question.

Ultimately I would feel alot more comfortable predicting someone's SAT score based off their MCAT than vice versa.

I always heard the ACT and old MCAT scores being compared. It never really made sense to me but that correlation was illustrated by almost everyone I know who took both, including myself.

Back in my day the SAT was out of 1600 (breaks hip).
SAT 1470 + 730 on the SAT II writing yields a 2200 on the modern SAT

MCATs 33 & 517

/facepalm

I wasnt saying I didnt believe you. It was kind of like "Wow, lol you have a perfect ACT score"

Oh. Sorry if I read into that. I already knew I was going to be messing up the correlation. I think the biggest difference is the retesting ability. I took the ACT multiple times to get to a 36, but I was determined to do the MCAT once. I'm still pretty pleased.

Act:24
Sat:1650
Based on these scores, I don't think I'll do well on the Mcat.
I'm starting to doubt whether or not I'm intelligent enough to be a physician.

Act:24
Sat:1650
Based on these scores, I don't think I'll do well on the Mcat.
I'm starting to doubt whether or not I'm intelligent enough to be a physician.
Nah, it's much more about studying. IMO, a 24 on the ACT shows that you are not an idiot. The MCAT obviously requires some intelligence, but it was still all about how you prepare for it. Don't get down on yourself!

Nah, it's much more about studying. IMO, a 24 on the ACT shows that you are not an idiot. The MCAT obviously requires some intelligence, but it was still all about how you prepare for it. Don't get down on yourself!
Thanks for that, man. But doesn't one need to be more than just "not an idiot" to be a physician?

Thanks for that, man. But doesn't one need to be more than just "not an idiot" to be a physician?
Lol disregard my choice of words there.. But what I really meant is that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to get into medical school!

2110 SAT
515 MCAT

Last edited:
I guess you can look at it however you want. I see a direct correlation, with a score of 29-30 predicting a score between 508 and 512-514 at most and higher scores on ACT correlating with higher MCAT scores.

27 ACT and 512 MCAT right here, so just work hard at studying and you might surprise yourself. I sure did. A part of growing up and becoming more experienced is learning how to study, managing your time, and utilizing resources.

26 ACT
523 MCAT

OP, a data point like this is probably more telling than everyone else reporting a correlation of >.8. Are you going to confound for people who are just good at taking standardized tests?

ACT 35
SAT: 2200
MCAT: 40

No one can naturally crush the SAT and MCAT. It takes years of good academics and building of foundation knowledge.

But that foundation can be enough to do very well, even absent prep. A good portion of all the tests (especially the SAT/ACT) are not knowledge so much as logic, problem solving, and reading. The LSAT eve n more so. My uncle took it cold on a whim and got a full ride scholarship to law school out of it.

I took both the ACT and MCAT once.

ACT 32 - Did not study specifically for this test for even one day.

MCAT 511 - Studied for several months. Feel I could do better as I was very anxious on test day, but don't plan to retake.