Add to my school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizlemon12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying in 2015 and am trying to figure out where I should apply (especially in the Target and Safety areas) and also what I could do in the meantime that might help my application

3.9 GPA, attended a Top 20 School, Science major
38 MCAT (14 PS, 12 V, 12 BS)

Extracurriculars:
-3 different musical groups on campus (3 years)
-1 year of varsity sports (senior)
-2 years working on campus as intro science tutor
-1 year tutoring at the elementary school near my college

Research:
2 summers in 2 different labs...not much here lol

Clinical
80 hours volunteering, all pediatric (40 hours in 2 different hospitals)
20 hours shadowing (outpatient clinic)

Post-Graduate
Since graduating I have taught full time in an urban school through an Americorps program. I currently also volunteer extensively at the school where I work (15 hours / week).

Application weak points (my opinion)
-Clinical experience hours----hopefully will be able to find a place to shadow or something here on the weekends
-Research --- I did not write a senior thesis participate in research at my college as I preferred to be involved with music and sports.

Application strong points (also my opinion)
-my numbers
-my teaching experience... many challenges similar to medicine

Reaches:
Columbia
UChicago
Weill Cornell
Mount Sinai
WashU (only bc I heard they value numbers...not a fan of St. Louis)
Dartmouth

Targets:
Med College of Wisconsin
Loyola Chicago
NYU
Boston U

Safeties
Indiana Univeristy (Indiana resident)
Rush (Chicago)
Einstein

I have ties to Indiana, NYC, and the west coast, and would prefer to be in one of those three places, though I will go to any school that accepts me...

Members don't see this ad.

Numbers look great, and a good mix of ECs. However, I think having no research experience will definitely hurt you for the top tiers.

any school suggestions where the lack of research might not hurt me so much? Or schools where my numbers are slightly above average and that might make up for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo comes to mind. Though they are a top tier school, they are slightly less research oriented (compared to other top schools) from what I've read.

2 summers of full time research should suffice for all the top schools in my opinion. It won't blow anyone out of the water, but it shouldn't hold you back either.

Edit: I recall LizzyM saying in her AMA threads that 1 full time summer or 1 academic year part time is looked for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mayo comes to mind. Though they are a top tier school, they are slightly less research oriented (compared to other top schools) from what I've read.
I must beg to differ on this one. 95% of their matriculants have significant reasearch.
That's even more than Cornell (93%).

I must beg to differ on this one. 95% of their matriculants have significant reasearch.

Please heed gyngyn's advice, he is an expert in such matters.

any school suggestions where the lack of research might not hurt me so much? Or schools where my numbers are slightly above average and that might make up for it?

Have you considered URochester? I feel that they are very into well-rounded people and will probably love your extensive teaching experience. Also consider UVA as it seems they love high stats people.

Also, having minimal research experience won't automatically disqualify you from top schools. It just means you have to make up for it in other areas of your app.

Last edited:
I too worry that the lack of research limits your chances at the top schools. BTW, 94% of WashU matriculants have done research.

Goro suggests:
Dartmouth
Med College of Wisconsin
Loyola Chicago
Boston U
Indiana Univeristy (Indiana resident)
Rush (Chicago)
Einstein
NYMC
Hofstra
SLU
Tulane
Quinnipiac
U ILL
U Cincy
U OH
U Toledo
Wright State
Wayne State
MSU (maybe)
U KY
U Louisville
USC
U CO
U AZ
TCMC
EVMS
GWU
G-town
All other new MD schools
U So FL
U Miami

That's even more than Cornell (93%).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the percentages on the MSAR were self-reported by applicants on their activity list, so an applicant's research could have been minor and not significant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the percentages on the MSAR were self-reported by applicants on their activity list, so an applicant's research could have been minor and not significant.
It is self reported. It's the best data we have, though.

I am a bit confused @Goro, your list seems to be a low-ball for this applicant. Is 2 summers of full-time (I assume it was) research really not enough? That is like 800 hours; which is what I have in 2 years worth!

Whoa! My bad there if that is indeed the case. 800 hrs is plenty. I was going for schools where ~90% or less of the matriculants have research experience.

Lizle, you were concerned about your research amounts...how much did you do? If it is indeed >several hundred hrs, then the sky is the limit. Add or consider all the Ivies, JHU, Wash U, Northwestern, Pitt, Duke, Emory, Baylor, Vanderbilt, U VA, U MI. there are a number of schools you could then remove from my list as well.

I am a bit confused @Goro, your list seems to be a low-ball for this applicant. Is 2 summers of full-time (I assume it was) research really not enough? That is like 800 hours; which is what I have in 2 years worth!

What matters is quality, not quantity. From OP's sparse description of his/her research, it sounds like s/he didn't get much out of it, which is what is concerning.

What matters is quality, not quantity. From OP's sparse description of his/her research, it sounds like s/he didn't get much out of it, which is what is concerning.

That I agree with, but I would consider 2 full time summers quality and quantity. This is all under the assumption it was indeed full time, and if it was then I am sure OP has SOMETHING to say about it. I wouldn't tell the OP not to apply to top schools with his current research; his application is very competitive, and can be made even more so if he gets some more clinical experience this year.

That I agree with, but I would consider 2 full time summers quality and quantity. This is all under the assumption it was indeed full time, and if it was then I am sure OP has SOMETHING to say about it. I wouldn't tell the OP not to apply to top schools with his current research; his application is very competitive, and can be made even more so if he gets some more clinical experience this year.

not necessarily....notice that the OP said 2 summers in 2 different labs. The first semester of undergraduate research, full-time or otherwise, is almost always grunt work. In the initial training period, the lab PI will usually make the new undergrad student assist one of the more established researchers with their research project. The undergrad student will not have his own research project and may not even fully understand the nature of the research. The aim of the undergrad student initially is to mainly learn the lab skills necessary to actually start doing research. Therefore the research the OP conducted will definitely be sub-par in the eyes of the top research oriented medical schools.

Let me clarify my research-
My first research experience was through a summer REU-type program at a university. I did have my own project there, worked full time for 11 weeks (so 440 hours), and presented my results at a symposium per the requirements of the program. Unfortunately, the project didn't really turn out any tangible results. My PI invited me back the following summer to take on a different branch of the project, but I wasn't feeling very passionate about it, was homesick, and decided not to return, at least not that next summer. That was five years ago---the summer after my freshman year in college. I could explain my project if asked in an interview, but it ended up being kind of a dead end and was subsequently abandoned, and I doubt the PI would remember me enough to even write a recommendation lol.

The second experience was actually a math project, not a science one, also through an REU-type program, and I signed on because I was interested in the topic. Also full time, 10 weeks. My group actually turned out some results that summer, wrote them up, and again I presented a poster at the symposium at the end of the summer. It ended up being a one-summer deal though, the professor I worked with ended up leaving the school at the end of that summer.

Long story short: moderate number of hours, I could explain all the research, but no publications.

Last edited: