Adderall to do it all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You didn't read that sentence in context... :eek:

Thanks for elaborating. Always appreciate your input.

Since you just took your step 1 exam, I figured you might be able to answer this question.

From my understanding you can get extra time for the MCAT if you have ADD (diagnosed with supplemental and specific testing), but can you get extra time on the USMLE's? I'm sure at least one of your classmates is prescribed some sort of stimulant, have they told you anything about their experiences studying for or taking their step 1 exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, exactly. Frankly, the people that are having to resort to Adderall to get through the pre-med curriculum have absolutely zero chance of doing anything impressive in med school. The people that have to study 12 hours a day and never sleep AND take drugs and all that silliness to get through the pre-med curriculum are really going to have an uphill battle for all of med school and should seriously reconsider whether you have the ability to handle the medical curriculum.

This. It's only college, you don't need to go to extreme measures.

This. It's only college, you don't need to go to extreme measures.

Once again, this is relative. Don't judge the difficulty of a school simply because it might have been relatively easy for you compared to medical school. There are too many variables and confounding variables to be able to logically draw any type of correlation. Perception is different than reality; goals for everyone is different; curriculum is different. I'm not insinuating that some undergrads are more difficult than medical schools, whatever that means. Simply, stating that there are a myriad of reasons why students take these "pills" which may or may not be associated with their performance or their perception of their performance. Furthermore, there is no way to extrapolate this perceived level of difficulty and state whether or not someone will be or not be successful in medical school. Different circumstances, material, learning, etc. These differences could or could not make it easier for someone struggling in undergrad and the converse is also true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer****
I'm sure when I'm a resident (God willing), I'll say that 3/4 years in medical school were not so rough; when I'm in the 3/4 years of medical school, I'll say that I had more time in years 1/2 and that it wasn't so rough; and so on and so fourth. Nevertheless, I can only talk about my experience and cannot use this as a basis to suggest that everyone will and should have the same opinion. It's all relative.

Thanks for elaborating. Always appreciate your input.

Since you just took your step 1 exam, I figured you might be able to answer this question.

From my understanding you can get extra time for the MCAT if you have ADD (diagnosed with supplemental and specific testing), but can you get extra time on the USMLE's? I'm sure at least one of your classmates is prescribed some sort of stimulant, have they told you anything about their experiences studying for or taking their step 1 exam?

Once again, this is relative. Don't judge the difficulty of a school simply because it might have been relatively easy for you compared to medical school. There are too many variables and confounding variables to be able to logically draw any type of correlation. Perception is different than reality; goals for everyone is different; curriculum is different. I'm not insinuating that some undergrads are more difficult than medical schools, whatever that means. Simply, stating that there are a myriad of reasons why students take these "pills" which may or may not be associated with their performance or their perception of their performance. Furthermore, there is no way to extrapolate this perceived level of difficulty and state whether or not someone will be or not be successful in medical school. Different circumstances, material, learning, etc. These differences could or could not make it easier for someone struggling in undergrad and the converse is also true.

I totally understand where you're coming from with respect to relative difficulty. I took that into account when I made my generalization. I agree that it's obviously a broad generalization to make and that there are likely many exceptions to it. However, perhaps your perspective will change once you go through some of med school. I don't mean that as a dig, but it's easy for you to say this or that when you haven't actually experienced any part of a med school curriculum.

I totally understand where you're coming from with respect to relative difficulty. I took that into account when I made my generalization. I agree that it's obviously a broad generalization to make and that there are likely many exceptions to it. However, perhaps your perspective will change once you go through some of med school. I don't mean that as a dig, but it's easy for you to say this or that when you haven't actually experienced any part of a med school curriculum.

Yeah, I completely agree about changing perceptions. That's why I added a disclaimer, but I still stick to that it's relative and all perceptual.

When you first start running you think that running a mile is so difficult, but then you start running half-marathons and then move on to full-marathons. Once you're running full-marathons you say to yourself "wow, I don't know why I had such a hard time running a mile"-this is all relative and perceptual, but to state that it shouldn't have been so difficult for you starting off to have such trouble running a mile is arrogant. Nor is there a correlation between where you start off in a particular place and time and how you reacted in that situation, and when placed in a new environment, with new variables, how you are going to react.

Did you get a chance to think about my question about step 1 exams?

For someone who's been on Adderall going on 5 years now, I feel like I have something noteworthy to contribute to this conversation. For starters, as a junior, I have yet to encounter another student in any class thus far that is also on Adderall. I'm sure there are plenty, I just haven't encountered any yet.
How easy is it to get a script really though? You'd think doctors would be hesitiant to prescribe this to early 20 somethings pursuing rigorous academic goals.
Adderall is very difficult to obtain in my location. At this current point in time, physicians aren't necessarily required to only prescribe Adderall if the patient has documentation of ADHD. However they are strongly encouraged to require documentation and most choose to. I was never formally diagnosed with ADHD due to potential conflict with the military. However, my family, which is largely composed of physicians, is pretty sure I have it. Thus, as an undiagnosed patient, I have one physician within 50 miles willing to prescribe Adderall for me. So again, it's relatively difficult to get a script if undiagnosed.
It's easy. I got a script my sophomore year of college and now, four years later, I am legitimately addicted to the stuff. I take it as prescribed every day, and RARELY miss a day. My sleep is ****, but I feel useless if I don't take it. It's exactly like the old trope of starting off great but soon needing it to be baseline.
I find this really interesting as I have never had an addictive feeling toward the drug. I test myself by taking it during the school semester or as needed, then not touching it for two months during winter break. Never had an urge or problem. However, this is not to say that I don't feel the effects when currently stimulated. I feel great when on it. I feel motivated, happy, and focused.
But yes, sleep is by far the biggest problem. It's not worth it ultimately.
Sleep is certainly affected by Adderall, but I've only been negatively impacted when I don't take it effectively. When using instant release, I must take the pill before 5pm, or I will be up past 2am. When using extended release, I must take the pill before 2am, or receive the same consequences. However, I've come to notice that everyone is affected differently. For instance, my wife who also takes Adderall has to take it before noon or she'll be up all night. This likely has to do with metabolism or how each individual processes chemicals in their system. When I drink alcohol, for example, I have maybe 4 hours of fun time if I'm lucky. After that, it's lights out and I need to sleep. My wife, on the other hand, can drink all night and never get sleepy (within reason).
Sure you can take Adderall to help with studying but there's no reason to unless you actually have ADHD.
I agree with this. I have two friends without ADHD. One very motivated and the other pretty lazy. Both have taken Adderall once in their past. The motivated one started exhibiting classic signs of meth-heads: agitation, irritability, paranoia. For anyone who knows anything about Adderall, this could make sense. However, oddly enough, the lazy one nearly fell asleep while at work. To this day I don't necessarily know how to explain his case but it is what it is. I agree, though, that Adderall probably isn't in one's best interest if they don't have symptoms of ADHD.
In my experience the people who feel they 'need' adderall to get stuff done are the same people that feel they need recreational drugs or alcohol to have a good time.
I don't doubt that's your experience, but I find myself a testament, or at least an outlier in contradiction to that statement. I have never once used marijuana or any other recreational drug illegally. Nor do I drink to have a good time. In fact, I drink the least out of all of my friends and acquaintances, and none of them are heavy into alcohol. The same goes for my wife.
Of course there is variability between educations at different institutions - no one is disagreeing with that. And of course there are inherent differences in how people study and how much time they have to spend studying to achieve at a given level. My point was that if you are genuinely putting forth maximum effort, studying 12+ hours per day, sacrificing sleep, not doing anything else, and you still can't get a somewhat decent GPA (3+), I would seriously worry about your performance in med school.
I can agree with this, but this brings up an important topic for my next point. I don't usually hear much talk about what happens when Adderall wears off. For starters, I study around 5 hours a day not including class time and currently maintain a ~3.7. After the 6 hour mark of using extended release Adderall, my brain starts numbing out. My ability to focus diminishes substantially. I have trouble forming articulate sentences without getting my tongue twisted, and I speak and process much slower than I am used to. Clearly, this brings up a genuine point of concern. I never understood how individuals can take Adderall for an all-nighter study session. Sure it will keep you awake, but after a while, you'll stop being able to learn well. When you realize this, you might try to get some sleep. Unfortunately, even though you feel like you're crashing, the Adderall is still being processed through your body. Thus, you'll lay in bed for hours, exhausted to the point of a headache and you won't be able to sleep.

The last thing I didn't see mentioned, though it may have been, is the immense suppression of appetite. I have had days so busy that when I got home, 11 o'clock at night, I finally realized that I hadn't eaten all day. Many times you can just forget to eat because you are so focused on what you are doing at that particular time. This can lead not only to one becoming malnourished, but on the day the individual doesn't take Adderall, they will feel unbelievably hungry. Going from never feeling hunger to suddenly feeling hungry all day was very challenging for me and could become very unhealthy for someone with a history of impulsiveness.

As a side note, having taken Ambien myself in the past, I feel that using it to help deal with PTSD is a terrible idea. Ambien scares me above all other drugs.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I completely agree about changing perceptions. That's why I added a disclaimer, but I still stick to that it's relative and all perceptual.

When you first start running you think that running a mile is so difficult, but then you start running half-marathons and then move on to full-marathons. Once you're running full-marathons you say to yourself "wow, I don't know why I had such a hard time running a mile"-this is all relative and perceptual, but to state that it shouldn't have been so difficult for you starting off to have such trouble running a mile is arrogant. Nor is there a correlation between where you start off in a particular place and time and how you reacted in that situation, and when placed in a new environment, with new variables, how you are going to react.

Did you get a chance to think about my question about step 1 exams?

Oops, sorry, forgot to respond. I'm actually not sure. I do think that you can request additional time is necessary, however I have no idea how that works or what the consequences might be from the perspective of getting a residency.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Oh I agree that differing undergrads(and majors!) can vary in difficulty. However, I was agreeing with the notion of going to extreme levels(12+ hours a day spent studying, no sleep, needing study drugs daily) seems a bit excessive. The person who hypothetically falls in that category is better off taking a step back, and learning how to tackle it without exerting themselves too much.

And it's probably true that saying "it's only college" seems arrogant...sorry bout that :oops:
Undergrad isn't always easy. However, time management, getting rest, and balance helps out the most!

For someone who's been on Adderall going on 5 years now, I feel like I have something noteworthy to contribute to this conversation. For starters, as a junior, I have yet to encounter another student in any class thus far that is also on Adderall. I'm sure there are plenty, I just haven't encountered any yet.

Adderall is very difficult to obtain in my location. At this current point in time, physicians aren't necessarily required to only prescribe Adderall if the patient has documentation of ADHD. However they are strongly encouraged to require documentation and most choose to. I was never formally diagnosed with ADHD due to potential conflict with the military. However, my family, which is largely composed of physicians, is pretty sure I have it. Thus, as an undiagnosed patient, I have one physician within 50 miles willing to prescribe Adderall for me. So again, it's relatively difficult to get a script if undiagnosed.

I find this really interesting as I have never had an addictive feeling toward the drug. I test myself by taking it during the school semester or as needed, then not touching it for two months during winter break. Never had an urge or problem. However, this is not to say that I don't feel the effects when currently stimulated. I feel great when on it. I feel motivated, happy, and focused.

Sleep is certainly affected by Adderall, but I've only been negatively impacted when I don't take it effectively. When using instant release, I must take the pill before 5pm, or I will be up past 2am. When using extended release, I must take the pill before 2am, or receive the same consequences. However, I've come to notice that everyone is affected differently. For instance, my wife who also takes Adderall has to take it before noon or she'll be up all night. This likely has to do with metabolism or how each individual processes chemicals in their system. When I drink alcohol, for example, I have maybe 4 hours of fun time if I'm lucky. After that, it's lights out and I need to sleep. My wife, on the other hand, can drink all night and never get sleepy (within reason).

I agree with this. I have two friends without ADHD. One very motivated and the other pretty lazy. Both have taken Adderall once in their past. The motivated one started exhibiting classic signs of meth-heads: agitation, irritability, paranoia. For anyone who knows anything about Adderall, this could make sense. However, oddly enough, the lazy one nearly fell asleep while at work. To this day I don't necessarily know how to explain his case but it is what it is. I agree, though, that Adderall probably isn't in one's best interest if they don't have symptoms of ADHD.

I don't doubt that's your experience, but I find myself a testament, or at least an outlier in contradiction to that statement. I have never once used marijuana or any other recreational drug illegally. Nor do I drink to have a good time. In fact, I drink the least out of all of my friends and acquaintances, and none of them are heavy into alcohol. The same goes for my wife.

I can agree with this, but this brings up an important topic for my next point. I don't usually hear much talk about what happens when Adderall wears off. For starters, I study around 5 hours a day not including class time and currently maintain a ~3.7. After the 6 hour mark of using extended release Adderall, my brain starts numbing out. My ability to focus diminishes substantially. I have trouble forming articulate sentences without getting my tongue twisted, and I speak and process much slower than I am used to. Clearly, this brings up a genuine point of concern. I never understood how individuals can take Adderall for an all-nighter study session. Sure it will keep you awake, but after a while, you'll stop being able to learn well. When you realize this, you might try to get some sleep. Unfortunately, even though you feel like you're crashing, the Adderall is still being processed through your body. Thus, you'll lay in bed for hours, exhausted to the point of a headache and you won't be able to sleep.

The last thing I didn't see mentioned, though it may have been, is the immense suppression of appetite. I have had days so busy that when I got home, 11 o'clock at night, I finally realized that I hadn't eaten all day. Many times you can just forget to eat because you are so focused on what you are doing at that particular time. This can lead not only to one becoming malnourished, but on the day the individual doesn't take Adderall, they will feel unbelievably hungry. Going from never feeling hunger to suddenly feeling hungry all day was very challenging for me and could become very unhealthy for someone with a history of impulsiveness.

As a side note, having taken Ambien myself in the past, I feel that using it to help deal with PTSD is a terrible idea. Ambien scares me above all other drugs.

I've heard that coming down sucks. My friend said that it turns him into a zombie until he gets some sleep.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I've heard that coming down sucks. My friend said that it turns him into a zombie until he gets some sleep.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I've only been taking stimulants for about 5 months and it has been amazing, to say the least. I truly don't know how I've gone so long without taking them. For the last month, I've switched from Ritalin XR to Aderrall, and they both have affected my sleeping patterns. First, it is harder to go to sleep if I don't watch when I take them, but this isn't that big of a deal. I do however feel less rested when I wake up and have trouble staying asleep for longer than 6 hours at a time-something I have never had a problem with. Taking the pills clears up any tiredness that I may feel, so it's also hard to judge my physical state. Although tolerance has built up quickly for me, when I'm not studying I don't take them and I don't really have any side effects. I return to baseline; perhaps this is due to the fact that I've only been on these types of pills for 5 months, but I haven't had any adverse effects of "coming down"; obviously this is also highly variable per person.

As someone who's taken adderall for ADD at various points in his life, most recently for a short period in college, my opinion is that anyone who recreationally uses adderall to study is an imbecile. When I took it my ability to concentrate actually decreased, because I was too distracted by being hyped up, agitated, and simultaneously sleep deprived and over-excited. Basically it made me feel like I was bipolar, so I stopped taking it after a few weeks and never looked back. My reaction was pretty atypical if you have ADHD (I suspect I may have been misdiagnosed), but it's pretty typical if you don't. Even if you do manage to get only the effect of improved concentration, that doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be concentrating on studying.

If you want to pull off super effective studying that will give you an edge, the best way by far is to get plenty of sleep and make a habit of studying for several hours a day to the point where you feel weird and anxious if you go a day without studying. Trying to get an edge by using a prescription psychostimulant you shouldn't be taking is just going to make you even worse off.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who's taken adderall for ADD at various points in his life, most recently for a short period in college, my opinion is that anyone who recreationally uses adderall to study is an imbecile. When I took it my ability to concentrate actually decreased, because I was too distracted by being hyped up, agitated, and simultaneously sleep deprived and over-excited. Basically it made me feel like I was bipolar, so I stopped taking it after a few weeks and never looked back. My reaction was pretty atypical if you have ADHD (I suspect I may have been misdiagnosed), but it's pretty typical if you don't. Even if you do manage to get only the effect of improved concentration, that doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be concentrating on studying.

If you want to pull off super effective studying that will give you an edge, the best way by far is to get plenty of sleep and make a habit of studying for several hours a day to the point where you feel weird and anxious if you go a day without studying. Trying to get an edge by using a prescription psychostimulant you shouldn't be taking is just going to make you even worse off.

Sleep for memory consolidation & processing and exercise/eating healthy to counteract the effects of stress sounds like a good regimen for those who don't have aberrant connections in their cortico-striatal-thalamic loops.

This discussion of adderall and appetite suppression is really interesting. My grandmother actually wound up addicted to amphetamines in the 1960s because she was prescribed them as a weight loss pill!! It was tough for her to get off of them.

Study drugs are dumb imo. I would never take adderal. I was actually diagnosed with ADHD when I was young (which I think was a misdiagnosis but whatever) and prescribed ritalin. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Other than a cup of coffee to keep me awake, I've never needed anything.

If you want to a "smart" supplement, take fish oil, at least thats proven to have some success with working memory.

All my friends who have taken adderall to cram study for exams have come out with mediocre grades.

Study drugs are dumb imo. I would never take adderal. I was actually diagnosed with ADHD when I was young (which I think was a misdiagnosis but whatever) and prescribed ritalin. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Other than a cup of coffee to keep me awake, I've never needed anything.

If you want to a "smart" supplement, take fish oil, at least thats proven to have some success with working memory.

Broad generalizations. Perhaps you were misdiagnosed, as you have stated, and therefore did not respond well to the medication. Nevertheless, these are just your experiences, which you have alluded, shouldn't have taken place to begin with. If you have never had an attention problem (i.e. focus, impulsivity, SSRT-deficiency) then you shouldn't degrade anyone for taking prescribed medication(s) to help them.

I'm glad that you wouldn't take them, especially if you don't need them. :thumbup:

I get as much sleep as possible and exercise every day haha. I'm a little lucky in that I can function pretty well on 2-4 hrs sleep too (which is great for long nights before exams).

Broad generalizations. Perhaps you were misdiagnosed, as you have stated, and therefore did not respond well to the medication. Nevertheless, these are just your experiences, which you have alluded, shouldn't have taken place to begin with. If you have never had an attention problem (i.e. focus, impulsivity, SSRT-deficiency) then you shouldn't degrade anyone for taking prescribed medication(s) to help them.

I'm glad that you wouldn't take them, especially if you don't need them. :thumbup:

I never said people don't need them. I said "Study drugs" are dumb, meaning if you are taking adderal to study, then that is dumb.

If you want to pull off super effective studying that will give you an edge make a habit of studying for several hours a day to the point where you feel weird and anxious if you go a day without studying.
This right here.
You heard correctly my friend. The best way to avoid crash is ironically proper food intake and hydration.
I never said people don't need them. I said "Study drugs" are dumb, meaning if you are taking adderal to study, then that is dumb.
I still think that statement is too general. I likely have ADHD and I take Adderall primarily so I can study and focus. It works very well for me.

Also, Ritalin and Adderall are not the same.

Oh, I completely didn't get that. Thanks for the clarification. I think I might have a bias towards thinking that people might be degrading ADHD and the uses of medication, but this might just be from being too defensive.

I like a good strong coffee. Have taken adderrall before and yes it is awesome but also a poor choice. In med school, you gonna take pills everyday ? It can't be good in the long run. It's best to try to use nothing. Sucks how great the focus is with adderrall though

Is it safe to assume this person was on adderall???

she had a 4.0 gpa, president of 6 clubs on campus, would constantly take 20+ hrs a semester of very difficult classes, did 4 years of undergrad research, 1000's of hours of volunteering, student government, ran marathons, played softball and supposedly had a steady bf and went out regularly on top of claiming she tutored. Since there are only 24hrs in a day, either she lied on her app or never slept.

She was lying about being president of 6 clubs, obviously. Unless she started all of them and didn't actually do anything for any of the clubs. It's not impossible to take 20 units and get a 4.0... I had to take 24 units for two quarters and did well the first quarter, and not as well the second quarter.

Is it safe to assume this person was on adderall???

she had a 4.0 gpa, president of 6 clubs on campus, would constantly take 20+ hrs a semester of very difficult classes, did 4 years of undergrad research, 1000's of hours of volunteering, student government, ran marathons, played softball and supposedly had a steady bf and went out regularly on top of claiming she tutored. Since there are only 24hrs in a day, either she lied on her app or never slept.

Nah some people are naturally that way.

Now I see why the standards for research are peer reviewed journals , because no one will be more harsh, judgemental, and critical of you than your own peers.

I don't think hes a troll a lot of people are curious about adderall.

That's where a good search comes into play... searching is a key to good research ;)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=638727

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=879620

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=684722

I find this really interesting as I have never had an addictive feeling toward the drug.

I should say I have an addictive personality to begin with. Got sent to rehab, wilderness, therapeutic boarding school -- the works -- when I was 16 years old. It was a pretty messed up high school experience, but that's not really relevant -- bottom line is, I like the motivated feeling it gives me, and I take it so I can be productive more often. Unfortunately sometimes this just means spending hours on SDN or rewriting my entire PS only to realize it was unusable. :bang:

The motivated one started exhibiting classic signs of meth-heads: agitation, irritability, paranoia.

Wow. Yeah, my mom has been trying to get me to stop taking it for years, and noticed at first that I definitely became more irritable. Either the initial shock to my system has worn off or she's just used to it. Let's go with the former.

After the 6 hour mark of using extended release Adderall, my brain starts numbing out. My ability to focus diminishes substantially. I have trouble forming articulate sentences without getting my tongue twisted, and I speak and process much slower than I am used to.[...]When you realize this, you might try to get some sleep. Unfortunately, even though you feel like you're crashing, the Adderall is still being processed through your body.

And you don't find it addictive?! The sleep part sucks, of course, but when it would start wearing off at the end of the day when I was in college, I would start feeling abjectly depressed and hopeless. Then again, that might be a product of my depression.

I take antidepressants too, and when I don't take them, I have breakdowns. I cry and freak out and feel like everything is worthless and pointless...BUT I don't feel as physically compelled to take them as I am with adderall. Maybe it's the instantaneous effect,

The last thing I didn't see mentioned, though it may have been, is the immense suppression of appetite.

I lost about 40 lbs on adderall...and I started off at 120. College was a stressful enough time for me, and the added paranoia/anxiety from Adderall made me feel pretty out of control. Micromanaging my food intake was a way of controlling that.

I've since recovered, but according to my psychiatrist that's not uncommon for people, especially girls, who first start taking it.

I said it was easy to get because despite all these terrible side effects that I have experienced over the years, she has always prescribed it to me when I asked. That's just my experience, though.

Coffee, green tea, exercise, and sleep. Becoming dependent on adderral isn't going to help you in the long run.

This^ Everybody talks about how this is a lifestyle, not a sprint or even a marathon. I like to think that we can be competitive w/o resorting to short term and ultimately self destructive crutches.

Just my 2c,

~Ted

Taking adderall is not cheating. It barely does anything to me other than keep me awake. The whole "focusing" thing is over-hype.

Sophocles said:

I dunno about the USMLEs, but I applied for extra time on the MCAT, and I decided to ultimately reject it (an irreversible decision), because AAMC marks an extended-time exam as a non-standard administration and while schools say they don't hold it against you, I'm sure they do subconsciously. I still broke 30 without it, but extra time would have undoubtedly helped me, as I'm sure it would have helped almost anyone (I mean who wouldn't benefit from an extra 30 minutes in verbal?), but I didn't want them to hold it against me.

To address the main point of the thread,

And this is not directed at the thread starter, but I have to say that I really can't stand people who abuse these drugs. First of all, it is incredibly dangerous if you don't need them. I was diagnosed with ADHD at age 6 and started a high dose of Ritalin for it at 11 so that I could stop bouncing off the walls, sit down and do my homework. I was switched to Adderall at 16 and now take a 30 mg extended release XR every morning at 8am and 2 15mg standard release booster pills at 2 pm and 6pm. What it does for me is it gives me roughly the same ability to concentrate as that of my non-medicated classmates (but probably still a little bit less). On days I don't take it I can't do anything for more than 15 minutes without losing interest and stopping. People who don't have ADHD who buy these drugs from others and people who sell these drugs to others are not only committing felonies on both ends of the transaction, but it is rather analogous to taking steroids in a professional sport which bans them. Anything they accomplish while on the drugs will be marked with an asterisk, regardless of whether anyone finds out about the illicit use. It is incredibly dishonest and I find it to be significantly more objectionable than steroid use when people who are attempting to get into medical school engage in it. The fact that some people think it is okay to buy them from other students as if they were gumballs is incredibly unnerving and it scares me that some of them will ultimately get into medical school, probably continue using these drugs illicitly, and maybe be responsible for prescribing it or other controlled substances someday.

I'm not saying this out of bitterness. I got into medical school despite the fact that my classmates almost certainly abused these drugs, but I just find it to be very objectionable. I'm not some rabid anti-drug guy either (I inhaled in college), but I think this is wrong, even if it doesn't provide them any benefit. But if it didn't provide them any advantage, I don't think they'd be paying for it.

Last edited:
I understand where you're coming from; it does seem like it gives people an unfair advantage in the time they can spend, but it is absolutely not like using steroids. Adderall doesn't make you smarter. In fact, I studied way less effectively on adderall. For the first few years I couldn't sit still so I'd literally copy sentence after sentence from the textbook and not retain anything. The less I take, the less waaaay zoomed in I get on something, and the easier it is to grasp concepts.

I took this medicine with a prescription for six years. Basically I've learned that for me the quality of life was so ****ty on it that I have come to the conclusion that if you can't kick it without it you should do something else with your life. It's not worth it to deal with the symptoms daily for the rest of your life.

I took this medicine with a prescription for six years. Basically I've learned that for me the quality of life was so ****ty on it that I have come to the conclusion that if you can't kick it without it you should do something else with your life. It's not worth it to deal with the symptoms daily for the rest of your life.

I so sympathize. What's baffling to me is why so many people are getting prescribed ADHD medications as children, young adults, or college students by their primary care doctors or even by psychiatrists, without getting a referral for a counseling program on behavior mod tips to help people develop study skills. Use the drugs to create the space to learn new, better habits - the way people can be prescribed anti-anxiety drugs while doing an 8 week or 16 week session of CBT... doesn't make sense to me. Any psychiatrists reading who can chip in?

I so sympathize. What's baffling to me is why so many people are getting prescribed ADHD medications as children, young adults, or college students by their primary care doctors or even by psychiatrists, without getting a referral for a counseling program on behavior mod tips to help people develop study skills. Use the drugs to create the space to learn new, better habits - the way people can be prescribed anti-anxiety drugs while doing an 8 week or 16 week session of CBT... doesn't make sense to me. Any psychiatrists reading who can chip in?

I completely agree. At least in my situation the symptoms that I had while taking the medicine had I kept taking it would have eventually killed me (waaaaaayyyy down the road and fairly indirectly but it still would have) basically I don't think that the nature of the medicine is compatible with long term use if you're trying to stay happy and healthy.

I understand where you're coming from; it does seem like it gives people an unfair advantage in the time they can spend, but it is absolutely not like using steroids. Adderall doesn't make you smarter. In fact, I studied way less effectively on adderall. For the first few years I couldn't sit still so I'd literally copy sentence after sentence from the textbook and not retain anything. The less I take, the less waaaay zoomed in I get on something, and the easier it is to grasp concepts.

The extra kick of motivation that it provides people who do not have ADHD is unfair in my opinion. I agree that it doesn't make you smarter, but if it didn't provide people academic benefits then they wouldn't be paying the prices they do for it.The effectiveness of it from person to person varies and is debatable but it clearly provides a significant benefit for the average person who buys it illicitly as evidenced by the fact that many people use it throughout their college career.

Also, I read your earlier posts in the thread and saw that you got a prescription for it and are now basically addicted to your amphetamines. This is not what the drug was intended for. It should not be either physically or psychologically addictive but it sounds like you might be suffering from both. There is nothing wrong with taking a day off from it... unless the thought of that makes you break into a cold sweat. I imagine that my dose is higher than yours and I still take an average of 5 days off a month. When I've gone on vacations, I sometimes don't take it at all for the duration. I'm home right now for a few days and not taking as high of a dose and I find that I actually stay up later when I DON'T take my early afternoon and late afternoon 15mgboosters. On days where I'm taking my full dose I can still get to sleep at 11pm after taking my 2pm and 6pm boosters. That's how it is supposed to work from my experience, assuming that you do in fact have ADHD. My medication makes me sit down and more relaxed and actually makes me feel a bit less energized so that I can concentrate on things. I know that you said you have a script for it but do you think you actually have it? I ask because technically it is supposed to be diagnosed before age 7 for it to be considered ADHD (or at least a documented childhood history of ADD symptoms) yet there seems to be a ton of college aged kids who managed to get through primary and secondary education without medication yet convinced a psychiatrist to prescribe it for them. A childhood history of similar symptoms is supposed to be a requirement. Makes you go hmmm. When I started taking these meds in the mid 1990s you did not hear about them on college campuses as you do now, and I find it hard to believe that this is something similar to what we have with autism where it was just severely undiagnosed. This smells like BS and I think a lot of people know it, but not really sure what can be done about it. I'm not talking about you personally btw but it's just pathetic, but I know that some of these kids who are faking these symptoms are doing a real disservice to themselves because amphetamines are probably more addictive to those who don't have ADHD.

It also sucks because I'm going to have to disclose the fact that I take this medication to my medical school as well as to residencies and future hospital positions so that when I pee dirty on the drug screens for presence of amphetamines, I have an excuse. I wonder what these kids who don't have scripts are going to do when they pee dirty on their tests in medical school. Expulsion I imagine.

Last edited:
MaenadsDance said:

Well I can only speak for myself, but my parents tried non-medical routes for years before finally putting me on the drugs a few years after my initial diagnosis at age 6. Nothing worked before I started on them. I would turn in horrible, uncompleted homework because I just couldn't focus for more than a few minutes on reading anything. I just couldn't still. Most boys who are diagnosed with it have that problem, and it isn't just simply little boys being boys in this case. There's something wrong when you can't stop your legs from swinging wildly in front of you or tapping your hands on your school desk without sitting in a ball on your chair.

I completely agree. At least in my situation the symptoms that I had while taking the medicine had I kept taking it would have eventually killed me (waaaaaayyyy down the road and fairly indirectly but it still would have) basically I don't think that the nature of the medicine is compatible with long term use if you're trying to stay happy and healthy.

Amphetamines are probably one of the safest drugs to take when used responsibly. They've been around for over a century and have been subjected to thousands of controlled studies. The key word is responsibly. While some people have side effects and can't deal with them (perhaps you're one of these people) the vast majority of people with ADHD apparently tolerate them just fine. And I'm taking 60 mg of it a day. I used to be scripted for 90 mg a day so if I'm not having side effects at these levels then I don't think anything is wrong. My blood pressure and pulse are both toward the low end of normal ranges, etc. I agree that amphetamines are not compatible with long term use if you don't have a medical reason to be taking them.

Well I can only speak for myself, but my parents tried non-medical routes for years before finally putting me on the drugs a few years after my initial diagnosis at age 6. Nothing worked before I started on them. I would turn in horrible, uncompleted homework because I just couldn't focus for more than a few minutes on reading anything. I just couldn't still. Most boys who are diagnosed with it have that problem, and it isn't just simply little boys being boys in this case. There's something wrong when you can't stop your legs from swinging wildly in front of you or tapping your hands on your school desk without sitting in a ball on your chair.

Amphetamines are probably one of the safest drugs to take when used responsibly. They've been around for over a century and have been subjected to thousands of controlled studies. The key word is responsibly. While some people have side effects and can't deal with them (perhaps you're one of these people) the vast majority of people with ADHD apparently tolerate them just fine. And I'm taking 60 mg of it a day. I used to be scripted for 90 mg a day so if I'm not having side effects at these levels then I don't think anything is wrong. My blood pressure and pulse are both toward the low end of normal ranges, etc. I agree that amphetamines are not compatible with long term use if you don't have a medical reason to be taking them.

I am by no means anti-drug or anti-psychiatry. I guess what I was wondering is why there seems to be a lesser emphasis on therapy/behavior modification/study skills training after kids get a prescription for these drugs. I don't have ADHD and don't know much about it; but I have taken and continue to take a variety of psychoactive drugs for other issues, and am happiest when taking the least quantity possible - in my personal experience, psych drugs are best used in conjunction with therapy that will allow for the gradual transition off of all but the lowest maintenance regime. This has particularly been my experience with anti-anxiety drugs, which always terrified me because of their habit-forming potential, much like ADHD.

Just for the occasion.

i7ofu5J5EoRyw.png

I should say I have an addictive personality to begin with. Got sent to rehab, wilderness, therapeutic boarding school -- the works -- when I was 16 years old. It was a pretty messed up high school experience, but that's not really relevant -- bottom line is, I like the motivated feeling it gives me, and I take it so I can be productive more often. Unfortunately sometimes this just means spending hours on SDN or rewriting my entire PS only to realize it was unusable. :bang:

Wow. Yeah, my mom has been trying to get me to stop taking it for years, and noticed at first that I definitely became more irritable. Either the initial shock to my system has worn off or she's just used to it. Let's go with the former.

And you don't find it addictive?! The sleep part sucks, of course, but when it would start wearing off at the end of the day when I was in college, I would start feeling abjectly depressed and hopeless. Then again, that might be a product of my depression.

I take antidepressants too, and when I don't take them, I have breakdowns. I cry and freak out and feel like everything is worthless and pointless...BUT I don't feel as physically compelled to take them as I am with adderall. Maybe it's the instantaneous effect,

I lost about 40 lbs on adderall...and I started off at 120. College was a stressful enough time for me, and the added paranoia/anxiety from Adderall made me feel pretty out of control. Micromanaging my food intake was a way of controlling that.

I've since recovered, but according to my psychiatrist that's not uncommon for people, especially girls, who first start taking it.

I said it was easy to get because despite all these terrible side effects that I have experienced over the years, she has always prescribed it to me when I asked. That's just my experience, though.

I guess I don't have much to respond in your case except that to me it seems clear that Adderall isn't a healthy drug for you. Sitting at ~80 lbs. as an adult is dangerously unhealthy (obviously I'm sure). With a prior history of addictive tendencies and your explained experience while on the drug, it seems that Adderall only inhibited any progression you were trying to make. Like I said, though, the drug affects everyone differently. It worked wonders for me and most others I know that actually have ADHD. I can, however, attest to depressive moods once the effects wear off. They vary in degree.

As far as accessibility, I forgot to mentioned that I live in a very college-dominated city. Thus, there is a lot of controversy about college kids who don't have ADHD trying to get Adderall. Some to use and others to simply sell. This is likely the reason why my area is so locked down.

I am by no means anti-drug or anti-psychiatry. I guess what I was wondering is why there seems to be a lesser emphasis on therapy/behavior modification/study skills training after kids get a prescription for these drugs. I don't have ADHD and don't know much about it; but I have taken and continue to take a variety of psychoactive drugs for other issues, and am happiest when taking the least quantity possible - in my personal experience, psych drugs are best used in conjunction with therapy that will allow for the gradual transition off of all but the lowest maintenance regime. This has particularly been my experience with anti-anxiety drugs, which always terrified me because of their habit-forming potential, much like ADHD.

I don't think many, if any, psychiatrists would prescribe any type of stimulants without first the proper testing and second a holistic care plan. I know that one psychiatrist I went to really pushed for behavioral therapy before even considering drugs and the second wanted to do both at the same time. I don't think that anyone would suggest just taking a pill to solve your attention-related problems, but they can be extremely effective as supplements to any type of CBT.

This is just what I have seen from my extremely limited exposure....

I don't think many, if any, psychiatrists would prescribe any type of stimulants without first the proper testing and second a holistic care plan. I know that one psychiatrist I went to really pushed for behavioral therapy before even considering drugs and the second wanted to do both at the same time. I don't think that anyone would suggest just taking a pill to solve your attention-related problems, but they can be extremely effective as supplements to any type of CBT.

This is just what I have seen from my extremely limited exposure....
Well actually it's more difficult to test adults for ADHD. This article is pretty good about explaining the process in diagnosing ADD/ADHD between children and adults: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_diagnosis.htm However, every physician is different since there are no set rules stating how to go about diagnosing.
A relative of mine who prescribes Adderall uses referrals exactly like you explained. Perhaps it is your region.
I can also attest to this.

Last edited:
Well actually it's more difficult to test adults for ADHD. This article is pretty good about explaining the process in diagnosing ADD/ADHD between children and adults: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_diagnosis.htm However, every physician is different since there are no set rules stating how to go about diagnosing.

A relative of mine who prescribes Adderall uses referrals exactly like you explained. Perhaps it is your region.

I can also attest to this.

Testing for a diagnosis is difficult; I didn't say it wasn't. I think any diagnosis for this, regardless of age, is a bit subjective. Nevertheless, there are plenty of tests out there that can compare things like working memory, impulsiveness, attention, etc. There seems to be a particular curve for individuals who have ADD/ADHD compared to the general population. People are also trying to find ways through DTI to look at any aberrant connections. So yes, is there a definitive test that one can take to know if they have ADD/ADHD? No, but I never insinuated that either. Are there tests that can support a diagnosis- yes! There are actual tests that are required for the MCAT in order to get extra time-a diagnosis isn't enough.

Testing for a diagnosis is difficult; I didn't say it wasn't. I think any diagnosis for this, regardless of age, is a bit subjective. Nevertheless, there are plenty of tests out there that can compare things like working memory, impulsiveness, attention, etc. There seems to be a particular curve for individuals who have ADD/ADHD compared to the general population. People are also trying to find ways through DTI to look at any aberrant connections. So yes, is there a definitive test that one can take to know if they have ADD/ADHD? No, but I never insinuated that either. Are there tests that can support a diagnosis- yes! There are actual tests that are required for the MCAT in order to get extra time-a diagnosis isn't enough.

Yes, but unfortunately those tests (unlike a blood test for hep c for example) are subject to uncontrollable confirmation bias, so their results have to be taken with a grain of salt. Research for mental health biomarkers is so hot right now because psychological testing is flawed by design, not just a bit subjective. Not trying to troll, just my opinion.

Yes, but unfortunately those tests (unlike a blood test for hep c for example) are subject to uncontrollable confirmation bias, so their results have to be taken with a grain of salt. Research for mental health biomarkers is so hot right now because psychological testing is flawed by design, not just a bit subjective. Not trying to troll, just my opinion.

No, I completely understand and agree. I just didn't want to make such a bold statement, but it does seem to be the consensus that psychological testing doesn't take into account a myriad of variables. Hopefully, as we learn more about the circuitry and loops in the brain we can tease out and hone in on what exactly is going on. Another thing is that there can be a plethora of things that happen at various parts that can present with the same symptoms-so I think it's kinda hard to determine the actual cause with limited imaging capabilities.

Word

I'd take the A-train, but knowing my luck, I'd be caught with it before I actually get anything done.