Advice for Canadian students choosing 4th year electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snarkie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a third year student at a allopathic school. I'm Canadian and at this point (not because of the election lol) want to practice back in Canada but will be applying to both US and Canada. I'm debating between IM/family and am picking my 4th year electives soon. I have an 2 week elective in Canada already.

There's quite a bit of things that need to happen between July to November of next year, between planning out electives in both countries and doing step 2. I just wanted to ask the SDN community to see if anyone had advice or experience about applying to both systems! Please feel free to PM me too!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I'm a third year student at a allopathic school. I'm Canadian and at this point (not because of the election lol) want to practice back in Canada but will be applying to both US and Canada. I'm debating between IM/family and am picking my 4th year electives soon. I have an 2 week elective in Canada already.

There's quite a bit of things that need to happen between July to November of next year, between planning out electives in both countries and doing step 2. I just wanted to ask the SDN community to see if anyone had advice or experience about applying to both systems! Please feel free to PM me too!

Thank you!
If you have a more targeted question(s), that might help. In general, most important thing is having your MCCEE and USMLEs out of the way. Then you'd need to have clerkships and letters lined up. But I don't doubt you knew that already.

Coming from an Australian med school and having watched lots of Canadians and Americans scramble for getting spots back home, subjectively, it seemed as though it was a bit harder on the Canadians. And in turn lots of my Canadian friends now practice (happily) in Australia. But for both the Canadians and Americans, if they wanted to go home, as long as they had solid board exams, they had minimal issue matching. So yeah, your board exams are most important. Those who had poor board scores were the ones who ran into issues. You're at a US allopathic school, so through reciprocal agreements or not, it might be easier for you, but just the heads up.