Advice for Potential Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is retaking the MCAT an option for you? Seems like that's the only thing holding you back. Otherwise you seem like a near perfect applicant. Certainly much better than my own stuff (asides for the MCAT)

I'm in a very similar position to catie_jane so I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the retake logic. You think it's worth the risk to retake an unbalanced 30 then? (509 ~ 30 right?)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Surprise II this morning. Maybe this cycle isn't quite over

Reactions: 17 users
Since I haven't been through the cycle myself, I don't have much insight that hasn't already been shared. But I remember we went through some of the MCAT stress together last summer so just wanted to say I'm rooting for you! Also your app overall looks fantastic so good luck with that next interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Surprise II this morning. Maybe this cycle isn't quite over
Please tell, want to update my interviews going out in the new year!! Congrats to you, we're all pulling for you. Just takes one!!

My saving grace has been a really strong and moving personal statement (every interviewer I had brought it up and one even said it made him tear up!). I think that perhaps your two best bets are a) change up the personal statement and b) apply earlier because everything else seems really good. I have no doubt that good things will come your way soon :) If you need anyone to take a look at your responses, I would be more than happy to!

And congrats on your newest II! You are probably the one person on SDN that I regularly follow because your responses are always so sweet and encouraging. Rooting for you!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Also apply to brown. Your stats are not too low, and you already have a connection to the school!

edit: at my interview, they had students from all over. the undergraduate bias isn't as strong as you think

I'm in a very similar position to catie_jane so I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the retake logic. You think it's worth the risk to retake an unbalanced 30 then? (509 ~ 30 right?)
I mean it's a risk, but if you/she could get into the 90+ %ile range, I imagine top tiers would be an option. Right now it seems like she's in that position where the top tiers are ignoring her because of her MCAT, and the mid/lows because the application is very impressive otherwise.

But she just got another II, so hopefully it won't have to come to that.

I mean it's a risk, but if you/she could get into the 90+ %ile range, I imagine top tiers would be an option. Right now it seems like she's in that position where the top tiers are ignoring her because of her MCAT, and the mid/lows because the application is very impressive otherwise.

But she just got another II, so hopefully it won't have to come to that.
II 3, doctor she should be. We are all cheering for folks down the home stretch.

Reactions: 1 users
I think at the end of the day it is all a crap shoot. The school I interviewed the worst at accepted me. On the flip side, I was denied by a school post interview and I set up an appointment with a counselor and was told everything in my application (PS, LORs, ECs, stats, Secondary, etc) were great and that my interviewers also scored my interview pretty high. I know this might sound unbelievable, but the counselor said she couldn't give me an answer of what I needed to improve upon and she doesn't know why I was denied.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been following you on a lot of mutual threads because we submitted around the same time and have similar stats. I have a higher MCAT, but you blow me out of the water on ECs. If anyone can get to an MD here it's you.

I have only one II --hopefully it's enough!

Have you sent an update to Jefferson yet? I've seen some folks on this year's thread get II's shortly after submitting updates, the school values service (which you've supplemented since the start of the cycle), and I believe they interview through April.

Have you sent an update to Jefferson yet? I've seen some folks on this year's thread get II's shortly after submitting updates, the school values service (which you've supplemented since the start of the cycle), and I believe they interview through April.

Weirdly enough, I have actually been working on a second update to send to the school tonight, but this time I am going to cc the admissions deans directly!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been following you on a lot of mutual threads because we submitted around the same time and have similar stats. I have a higher MCAT, but you blow me out of the water on ECs. If anyone can get to an MD here it's you.

I have only one II --hopefully it's enough!

I hope that we both do! Good luck with your cycle!

I want to thank you all again so much for the great advice.

I am happy to say that I will not end up needing it because I got my first acceptance this morning!

Reactions: 38 users

I am happy to say that I will not end up needing it because I got my first acceptance this morning!

Congrats. You seem like you are a good person. Happy for you.

OMG, I've been rootin' for ya!!! YEEEEAAAAHHHHHH!! Good things come to those who wait, or some such saying. Change that status girl to Medical Student (Accepted). You earned it and that morbidly obese lady is singing tonight, as this cycle is now over for you, with great success.

Still sending good karma your way for UConn (which I think is IS for you). See, the notion of "interview invites three, a doctor you will be" held up quite nicely.

Last edited:
Congrats!!! Where were you accepted?

Last edited:
Congrats @catie_jane!

Given your background, like being a college valedictorian and all the rest, you've handled yourself with class and graciousness throughout a very trying process.....a process trying enough to lead to this thread. You never showed any bitterness nor did you ever lose (at least outwardly) your positive and collaborative spirit. Very happy for you, and obviously a bunch of others participants here are as well.

I'd be really interested in you sharing your journey this past year applying to med school in another month or two when most of the smoke of this cycle has cleared. Like did you start out pretty confident, expecting a slew of IIs and at least a handful of acceptances, or did you expect the process to be as grueling and unforgiving as you no doubt must have occasionally felt it was in the last few preceding months?

For now, though, congratulations. Must be an enormous relief.

Reactions: 2 users

Congratulations! I have been following your story this cycle. Way to stay classy and positive. You will make an awesome doctor :)

Congrats @catie_jane!

Given your background, like being a college valedictorian and all the rest, you've handled yourself with class and graciousness throughout a very trying process.....a process trying enough to lead to this thread. You never showed any bitterness nor did you ever lose (at least outwardly) your positive and collaborative spirit. Very happy for you, and obviously a bunch of others participants here are as well.

I'd be really interested in you sharing your journey this past year applying to med school in another month or two when most of the smoke of this cycle has cleared. Like did you start out pretty confident, expecting a slew of IIs and at least a handful of acceptances, or did you expect the process to be as grueling and unforgiving as you no doubt must have occasionally felt it was in the last few preceding months?

For now, though, congratulations. Must be an enormous relief.

I appreciated your kind words (along with everyone else that has reached out)!

I would love to share my journey/story once the cycle has finally come to a close because I feel like for a lot of people initially my application cycle didn't make much sense.

However, another unexpected II this morning just goes to show that this cycle isn't completely over as I had previously thought!

Reactions: 6 users
OMG, I've been rootin' for ya!!! YEEEEAAAAHHHHHH!! Good things come to those who wait, or some such saying. Change that status girl to Medical Student (Accepted). You earned it and that morbidly obese lady is singing tonight, as this cycle is now over for you, with great success.

Still sending good karma your way for UConn (which I think is IS for you). See, the notion of "interview invites three, a doctor you will be" held up quite nicely.

Thank you so much! I changed it today and it was such a weird feeling! I haven't had much time to process everything yet so while I was driving to my dentist appointment today I just started crying (embarrassing).. haha

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats @catie_jane!!! I've been cheering for you since it seemed we were in similar positions, and since I saw you posting on the UVM forum. So happy for you!

Congrats @catie_jane!!! I've been cheering for you since it seemed we were in similar positions, and since I saw you posting on the UVM forum. So happy for you!

Thank you very much! Congrats on your acceptance as well!