Advice for student set to graduate with a low undergrad GPA but wants to work in medical field.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BarcelonaFan2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there SDN,

I found this site after doing some research and unfortunately I am in a bit of a hole right now. I do not expect to be an MD in my life due to the situation I have dug myself into but I will give you guys explanations about my situation and hope that you can offer up some advice. Here is my story.

Early in my college career, I had a major issue with helicopter immigrant parents that put me in the worst situation academically. They pushed me into taking 18 hours my first two semesters and majoring in physics, they said it is the only way I could get into med school and be competitive for it. We know they were wrong but I was a spineless wimp that refused to stand up to them. Needless to say, a hopeful college experience I was planning on having ended up a wreck. After finishing my first year of college with a 2.5 GPA, I fell into a deep depression but my parents kept pushing me to finish my degree. What made it even worse is that they were literally all over my life, did not let me commute by myself, and even pulled me out of the library when I was studying telling me I was late for dinner. It was hell!

My dad was a very intimidating and selfish kind of person who would pull all sorts of stunts to get his way, including turning my mother against me and pressuring me into academic situations I knew I was not going to thrive in. Don't know why he did it, but he did it and I was too big of a wimp to stand up to him back then.

Well, my GPA did rise a bit to the 2.9 range which was good enough to get me a chance of transferring to some of the state schools. I ended up leaving home but my new university was much tougher, I underestimated how difficult it would be. I ended up failing upper level science classes due to my lack of good time management skills, first time being on my own, and suffering from the depression due to the trauma my parents put me through (not just academically but other areas as well, went on a few family vacations with them where they constantly belittled me and told me how worthless I was compared to other kids, even said they would be happy if I was dead).

Anyways, after seeking some much needed psychological help and finally getting over this, I feel like a huge weight has been taken off my back when it comes to outside factors to where I can focus on my academics now. Problem is, I am in my final year of college and sitting on a 2.2 GPA.

I know that med school is practically out of the question for me now (a MD is for sure) but I would still like to work in the medical field. Due to my poor decisions and circumstances, I know that I will never be an MD but I want to know, what are other careers in the medical field I can look into that will be a realistic possibility for me at this point? I was thinking PA school but I want to hear from you guys about how to better my situation.

I feel better mentally and I know I can get better grades but unfortunately I am in my final year of college. Luckily, I have managed to gain complete independence from my parents and I take FULL responsibility for my awful grades and poor transcript.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately your grades won'tget you into a pa program and don't show that you would survive it

Try using retakes to consider DO programs or bail on graduate programs and try to get into a nursing/rt/ota/pta program

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have also been thinking, what if I start college all over again? Like basically go to a community college, go to college for a second degree not in physics, and take the classes all over again acing them in the process. I know it will eat up time but I also know that I can do a lot better now that I am mentally healthy and have my much needed independence.

ya I have heard a lot about DO school from some

You can still be doctor, but be ready to dedicate 2-3 years in either a post bac or grad program.

I'm sorry about your parents, and say this with a lot of understanding as my parents are boaters too

The worst case scenario is the Caribbean which everyone gets into if nothing else works out

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you Visible Ghost and sb247 for your input. Right now I am just trying to figure out where to go. Even though I am finally free and independent, I know that the situation I am in right now is academic hell. What I am trying to do is decide where to go from here, career wise, what career paths in the medical field are still realistically open for me.

I have also been thinking, what if I start college all over again? Like basically go to a community college, go to college for a second degree not in physics, and take the classes all over again acing them in the process. I know it will eat up time but I also know that I can do a lot better now that I am mentally healthy and have my much needed independence.
If you start completely over and get a 4.0 in the same number of credits you've already taken, the most you can expect from your GPA is a 3.1.
Even if you managed to swing that, you'd still likely need an SMP, though you may do better than the numbers would suggest if they could look and see the solid trend.

So, as others have said, your best bet is really to do grade replacement to bring your GPA up more quickly, then apply DO.

I also know that I can do a lot better now that I am mentally healthy and have my much needed independence.
11ce18.jpg
AVe201

Thank you Visible Ghost and sb247 for your input. Right now I am just trying to figure out where to go. Even though I am finally free and independent, I know that the situation I am in right now is academic hell. What I am trying to do is decide where to go from here, career wise, what career paths in the medical field are still realistically open for me.
Excluding pursuing a profession as a physician, there are many other medical fields to choose from.

Nursing, physican assistant, physical therapist, EMS, anesthesiology assistant, nursing assistant, chiropractic, etc. The list is expansive.

Excluding pursuing a profession as a physician, there are many other medical fields to choose from.

Nursing, physican assistant, physical therapist, EMS, anesthesiology assistant, nursing assistant, chiropractic, etc. The list is expansive.

Thanks man, I will look into those. Also, at this point, what will it take for me to get a US MD? Outside of a miracle of course.

Thanks man, I will look into those. Also, at this point, what will it take for me to get a US MD? Outside of a miracle of course.
To get an MD? Years of post-bacc courses, perhaps followed by an SMP, all of which you rock with a near-4.0. Plus, you know, continuing the usual ECs and rocking the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the advice guys, I am going to like all of your posts on this thread after writing this one.

I am going to finish my last year of college as strong as I can and when my GPA has risen a little, I will decide on what I need to do. I would love to work in the medical field and am glad to have found this forum.

To get an MD? Years of post-bacc courses, perhaps followed by an SMP, all of which you rock with a near-4.0. Plus, you know, continuing the usual ECs and rocking the MCAT.

Try.to be an author on a research paper, and good luck!

Try.to be an author on a research paper, and good luck!
At this point, research is the least of OP's worries...one pub isn't going to make or break the app, but that GPA will.

At this point, research is the least of OP's worries...one pub isn't going to make or break the app, but that GPA will.

Remember for MD school, OP would be competing with many others though. You are right, research can come later

LOL that gpa will break a lot of things, a 2.2 is nothing to even talk about regardless of your major.

Dude, you can still be a physician.
Post-bac or SMP and get a 4.0
You need stellar EC, shadowing, and a strong MCAT.
On top of all these things you need to have a damn good reason to enter a profession that everyone suggests staying out of.

Dude, you can still be a physician.
Post-bac or SMP and get a 4.0
You need stellar EC, shadowing, and a strong MCAT.
On top of all these things you need to have a damn good reason to enter a profession that everyone suggests staying out of.
They probably need both...they won't be getting into an SMP with their current GPA, but they likely need one before they can go MD (and maybe even for DO).

Again, DO is looking like the way to go if OP wants to be a physician.