Advice for those applying for their 1st job in the medical field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing that "posted jobs" are frequently not available and only posted due to policy, etc. If you have no great connections, what would you do to get your first job?

Me: Volunteer first and use those connections to get a paid job. Problem with my solution is that some people say they can't afford to work for free on the day shift and pay rent and pay other expenses. There must be other excellent methods?

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who works in a hospital, we have people start in non medical positions all of the time such as dietary and registration. Once they get their foot in the door, they make connections and move into more medical oriented positions. Most hospitals are small cities. They need every type of person you can think of and only a portion of them have any type of medical training.

My path: Volunteer (freshman) --> housekeeper (sophomore) --> scribe (junior and upcoming senior year, plus gap year). All at the same hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like a great plan. Scribes are really getting a ton of experience and connections.

That sounds like a great plan. Scribes are really getting a ton of experience and connections.

Oh, I'm just starting my senior year. That's how it actually worked/is working out for me. The housekeeping portion was essential.

I think some admissions committees would probably love to see housekeeping on the application. If you are humble enough to do that job to get your foot in the door, it shows that you are dedicated to your goals. It also shows that you don't see yourself as being stuck up or too good for certain tasks.

Do you have any certs like EMT or CNA? Use those to get a job but do NOT waste your time getting one now since the market is flooded with jobless low level para-medical workers.

I think some admissions committees would probably love to see housekeeping on the application. If you are humble enough to do that job to get your foot in the door, it shows that you are dedicated to your goals. It also shows that you don't see yourself as being stuck up or too good for certain tasks.

Absolutely. It is a vital part of my application. It has given me a very humble approach to medicine; I now realize all the moving parts that are necessary for proper patient care.

Take one less class during a semester and do Phleb, MA, CNA, or EMT.

I volunteered for various community organizations such as for Planned Parenthood outreach events during my undergrad years when I could afford not to work a full-time job and then used that as a stepping stone during my gap year for a paid position as a medical assistant at Planned Parenthood! They don't require a M.A. certification because they provide training themselves so you could look into that if you're passionate about their mission.