Advice on how to streghten future application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meridethgrey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys :)
So I plan to apply this summer (for cycle 2017) and I was hoping to receive some helpful advice on how to strengthen myself as an applicant. I will apply to maybe one or two DO just in case but I want MD. I will also be taking a gap year.

Stats:
505 mcat (127 on p/c, v, b and 124 on psych)
GPA: 3.72
sGPA: 3.669

Part of the honors college (I don't know if that matters..haha)
I am currently a senior so I'm trying to raise my science GPA to atleast a 3.7 which is completely possible (I have already done calculations).

Research: this is my third year so far in a lab and in the process of being published. I have also joined another lab which I plan to do this year as well as future gap year (and possible publications look very promising). Have be included in a poster presentation. Will be doing several presentations this upcoming spring and I am part of a research course in my honors college.
Volunteering: ~60 hrs clinical volunteering at a hospital (I know I need to work on this)
Shadowing: ~60 hrs general practitioner; since April to present a cardiologist 4-5 hrs per week so as of now.. ~116 hrs... so ~176
Work: worked my freshmen year in retail. Been working as a student assistant in the chemistry stockroom junior year and this current year. I also paint and started my own clothing line (I have printed shirts with my art and sold tanks/t-shirts locally and online).

Applying to become a scribe for gap and do research (as previously mentioned). I will also tutor biochem on the side

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

60 hours of volunteering isn't that much, but you know that.

MCAT is a deal breaker for MD. If you actually want MD, you need to retake for like a 510+ (minimum), considering your GPA.

Looks good for DO.

Reactions: 2 users
3.7/28 isn't necessarily lethal for MD admission but as Goro likes to say that score is circling the drain for MD schools. The state you live in will have a significant role in determining how much of a shot you have for MD schools. A re-take and 510+ would help your case considerably.

You'll generate tons of interest from DO schools as is.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys :)
So I plan to apply this summer (for cycle 2017) and I was hoping to receive some helpful advice on how to strengthen myself as an applicant. I will apply to maybe one or two DO just in case but I want MD. I will also be taking a gap year.

Stats:
505 mcat (127 on p/c, v, b and 124 on psych)
GPA: 3.72
sGPA: 3.669

Part of the honors college (I don't know if that matters..haha)
I am currently a senior so I'm trying to raise my science GPA to atleast a 3.7 which is completely possible (I have already done calculations).

Research: this is my third year so far in a lab and in the process of being published. I have also joined another lab which I plan to do this year as well as future gap year (and possible publications look very promising). Have be included in a poster presentation. Will be doing several presentations this upcoming spring and I am part of a research course in my honors college.
Volunteering: ~60 hrs clinical volunteering at a hospital (I know I need to work on this)
Shadowing: ~60 hrs general practitioner; since April to present a cardiologist 4-5 hrs per week so as of now.. ~116 hrs... so ~176
Work: worked my freshmen year in retail. Been working as a student assistant in the chemistry stockroom junior year and this current year. I also paint and started my own clothing line (I have printed shirts with my art and sold tanks/t-shirts locally and online).

Applying to become a scribe for gap and do research (as previously mentioned). I will also tutor biochem on the side

What do you guys think?
Shadowing is already fine, unless you didn't include a DO from whom you can get a letter. Teaching/tutoring is well regarded and will benefit your application (if you're already involved). I suggest you aim for 150 active clinical hours before you apply. I see no nonmedical community service, so work on that. Research is already very strong, but that won't be as important for less-competitive med schools. Strongly consider retaking the MCAT if you don't live in a safe state with low median acceptee stats. GPAs are fine. The commercialized Artistic Endeavor will help you stand out.

While re-taking the MCAT is advisable... do not rush it. Only take it when you are sure you will do significantly better.

Reactions: 1 users
Shadowing is already fine, unless you didn't include a DO from whom you can get a letter. Teaching/tutoring is well regarded and will benefit your application (if you're already involved). I suggest you aim for 150 active clinical hours before you apply. I see no nonmedical community service, so work on that. Research is already very strong, but that won't be as important for less-competitive med schools. Strongly consider retaking the MCAT if you don't live in a safe state with low median acceptee stats. GPAs are fine. The commercialized Artistic Endeavor will help you stand out.
Thank you very much for your response! Yes I need to increase both my clinical and nonclinical volunteer hours. Also, I live in Florida. I looked at the AAMC's MSAR and I fell within the range of most schools so I feel there's hope?

Yes I need to increase both my clinical and nonclinical volunteer hours. Also, I live in Florida. I looked at the AAMC's MSAR and I fell within the range of most schools so I feel there's hope?
Including your state's DO schools makes the odds closer to "ever in your favor."

Reactions: 1 users
I want MD though!! :/

Study hard for an MCAT re-take(do NOT take it before you are ready and your practice scores are in the 511+ range at least) and aim for 511+ then. You can't gun only for an MD and refuse to consider DO with a 28, that's not how this works. All in all, your at best a 50-50 candidate. If you want to up your odds, improve your weakest part of your app.

Yes your stats are competitive for a couple of Fl schools. But guess what, they will be for alot of Fl applicants who have a weakness in either their GPA or MCAT. That's a big part of the reason why I don't think any of those schools offer a II to even 20% of IS applicants; they are still very competitive. Even FSU with their 28 MCAT median I believe only offers a II to 1/7 Fl applicants roughly.

This isn't meant to be overly discouraging, 50% of 50-50 applicants get in after all. But for someone like you going all in for the MD and not very in favor of a DO, you need to improve your weaknesses rather than look at FSU's 28 median MCAT for a school that has 2500 FL applicants for 117 spots and simply say "Look at that 28! I'm good"

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The GPA MCAT grid indicates your chance for a MD acceptance is almost 50%. Apply to all the Florida schools (including the 2 DO schools) and consider schools such as:
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Any private new MD schools that will be open by 2017 ( Roseman, Henricopolis, Seton Hall, California Northstate, etc.).

Study hard for an MCAT re-take(do NOT take it before you are ready and your practice scores are in the 511+ range at least) and aim for 511+ then. You can't gun only for an MD and refuse to consider DO with a 28, that's not how this works. All in all, your at best a 50-50 candidate. If you want to up your odds, improve your weakest part of your app.

Yes your stats are competitive for a couple of Fl schools. But guess what, they will be for alot of Fl applicants who have a weakness in either their GPA or MCAT. That's a big part of the reason why I don't think any of those schools offer a II to even 20% of IS applicants; they are still very competitive. Even FSU with their 28 MCAT median I believe only offers a II to 1/7 Fl applicants roughly.

This isn't meant to be overly discouraging, 50% of 50-50 applicants get in after all. But for someone like you going all in for the MD and not very in favor of a DO, you need to improve your weaknesses rather than look at FSU's 28 median MCAT for a school that has 2500 FL applicants for 117 spots and simply say "Look at that 28! I'm good"
Thank you for your response. It sucks but it is reality