Advice on ranking for someone with red flags

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barleycorn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm applying for the current fellowship cycle and wanted some advice on ranking/communicating with programs. I am anesthesia trained, but have failed a board exam in the past, as a result (I think) I applied to every program through ERAS and only ended up with 10 interviews.

Should I truly rank programs in order of preference or should I try to rank the programs in order of of how good I think I would have a chance to match there? (Ie: programs with lots of spots that seemed just ok on interview day?) I wasn't truly repulsed by any program I went to btw.

Also, in the main residency match, I told my first choice program they were my first choice, is this still allowed for the pain fellowship match? I didn't see a black and white answer anywhere in the ERAS materials.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm applying for the current fellowship cycle and wanted some advice on ranking/communicating with programs. I am anesthesia trained, but have failed a board exam in the past, as a result (I think) I applied to every program through ERAS and only ended up with 10 interviews.

Should I truly rank programs in order of preference or should I try to rank the programs in order of of how good I think I would have a chance to match there? (Ie: programs with lots of spots that seemed just ok on interview day?) I wasn't truly repulsed by any program I went to btw.

Also, in the main residency match, I told my first choice program they were my first choice, is this still allowed for the pain fellowship match? I didn't see a black and white answer anywhere in the ERAS materials.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
It seems that you have a poor understanding of the match ranking system. There is no reason to rank anything other than your preferred order of programs. There is no alternate rank order that will increase your likelihood of matching. I suggest you research how the match works; I remember there being a good YouTube video which explains the algorithm.

Reactions: 2 users