Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BAH94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Last cycle I applied only MD and unfortunately did not get any interview. I plan to apply MD and DO for this upcoming cycle.

Stats:
3.87 GPA Biochemistry
MCAT: 505 (1st try)
Clinical Research: 575 Hours
Shadowing: 80 Hours
Clinical volunteering: 30 Hours
Non-clinical volunteering: 140 Hours

Also, Varsity athlete, involved in several on campus organizations with leadership positions.

I was wondering if I should spent the months after graduation studying full time for the MCAT? Or if I would be better off finding a clinical job such as a scribe to get more clinical hours for my application?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

It was probably some combination of not enough clinical hours + MCAT. Definitely look to get more of those hours before anything. 505 ~ 68% ~ 28-29 on the old MCAT which is borderline for MD's unless you have a state school that's more forgiving. Apply DO as well. You should be competitive for the "top DO's" such as PCOM, KCUMB, DMU, MSUCOM ect.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an Illinois resident. MCAT breakdown:

Chem: 126
CARS:125
BIO:128
Psych:126

Also I applied to most MD schools in the Midwest except ones that I knew I had no chance at such as Northwestern and University of Chicago.