African American Definition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted789272

Hi all,

I have a question about what is defined as African American. My father was born and raised in Durban, South Africa, while my mother was born and raised in India. My father is Indian too, but his side of the family has been in South Africa since the early 1900s. I identify as both Indian and South African. What would I put as what I classify myself on the AMCAS? I know people have posted here about North Africa, and how that doesn't count as African, but South Africa is on the other side of Africa. I know it was a British Colony and all, but after nearly 100 years of living there, does my father's side of the family still count as immigrants?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ethnically, you are Indian. That is, Asian for the purposes of the medical school application. African-American refers to black immigrants from the African continent or their descendants and, of course, American descendants of black slaves.

Reactions: 10 users
Hi all,

I have a question about what is defined as African American. My father was born and raised in Durban, South Africa, while my mother was born and raised in India. My father is Indian too, but his side of the family has been in South Africa since the early 1900s. I identify as both Indian and South African. What would I put as what I classify myself on the AMCAS? I know people have posted here about North Africa, and how that doesn't count as African, but South Africa is on the other side of Africa. I know it was a British Colony and all, but after nearly 100 years of living there, does my father's side of the family still count as immigrants?

Yeah that’s a no on the African thing. Ditto for Northern African countries.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The Emergence of the Term "African American" at Two Prestigious Institutions: The New York Times and the Supreme Court on JSTOR
African American is a term that was most notably endorsed by Jesse Jackson, in December, 1988 for use instead "Negro" which was still in wide use by courts and newspapers at the time. This would show the description was intended for those Blacks who were descents of slaves. I would say it now encompasses those who are racially "black" or dark either directly descended from African ethnic groups or indirectly such as Caribbean islanders.

For purposes of medical school admissions, below might give you an idea of it is viewed

Underrepresented in Medicine Definition - Initiatives - AAMC
"Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."

Assessing the evolving definition of underrepresented minority and its application in academic medicine. - PubMed - NCBI
RESULTS:
Of the 106 diversity leaders invited, 89 (84.0%) responded and 78 (73.6%) provided a working definition of URM. Most programs (40/78; 51%) used the 2003 AAMC definition of URM, which includes racial/ethnic groups that are underrepresented in medicine relative to local and national demographics. Only 14.1% (11/78) used the pre-2003 AAMC definition, which included only African Americans, Mexican Americans, Native Americans, and mainland Puerto Ricans. Approximately one-third (23/78; 29.5%) also considered other diversity factors, such as socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and disability, in defining URM. Fifty-eight respondents (74.4%) confirmed that their diversity programs targeted specific groups.

CONCLUSIONS:
The definition of URM used by diversity programs at U.S. AHCs varied widely. Although some classified URMs by racial/ethnic categories, the majority defined URM more broadly to encompass other demographic and personal characteristics. This shift should prepare academic medicine to eliminate health disparities and meet the health needs of an increasingly diverse population.

pedantic point: Black Caribbean islanders are also descendants of slaves, as are many Afro-Latinos.

Reactions: 1 users
These threads pop up around this time each year, and we get WHY you're asking these questions. Please identify yourself in the same way that you have identified yourself for the entirety of your life. If you lie and designate yourself as URM, when you know that you are not, then that can negatively impact you.

Just be honest.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm not sure why you are insinuating the time of the year, as primaries already passed lol. But just for reference, Indians were brought to South Africa as pretty much slaves as well. My dad had a very rough childhood in the apartheid, and this is reminiscent of segregation.

I'm not sure why you are insinuating the time of the year, as primaries already passed lol. But just for reference, Indians were brought to South Africa as pretty much spaces as well. My dad had a very rough childhood in the apartheid, and this is reminiscent of segregation.

Do you feel comfortable identifying as an African-American for the rest of your life?

Do you feel comfortable identifying as an African-American for the rest of your life?

In a sense I already do. I am African and I am an American. I just don't know if by African American, it means black. I am not black, but I am African American. I wish they would clearly write that out. That's what I'm asking here. I genuinely do not know what I qualify as. Someone mentioned Asian, and I will 100% put that. But can I put down African too?

What do you mean by negative impacts?

In a sense I already do. I am African and I am an American. I just don't know if by African American, it means black. I am not black, but I am African American. I wish they would clearly write that out. That's what I'm asking here.

"In a sense"? Dude, if you have to ask...

I'm not asking if I am African. I know I am. I am asking if I fit what AMCAS defines as African American. I meant that I don't identify as only African American by saying "in a sense". Everyone I know knows that I am partly from SA. I am proud to be an African. I didn't mean to give the impression I was stretching any truth.

I'm not asking if I am African. I know I am. I am asking if I fit what AMCAS defines as African American. I meant that I don't identify as only African American by saying "in a sense". Everyone I know knows that I am partly from SA. I am proud to be an African. I didn't mean to give the impression I was stretching any truth.

You are not African American for the purposes of medical school admission

Reactions: 3 users
In a sense I already do. I am African and I am an American. I just don't know if by African American, it means black. I am not black, but I am African American. I wish they would clearly write that out. That's what I'm asking here. I genuinely do not know what I qualify as. Someone mentioned Asian, and I will 100% put that. But can I put down African too?

What do you mean by negative impacts?
Yes, you are African and American, but so is my white Afrikaans-speaking neighbor from Capetown. But you're NOT African-American.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not sure why you are insinuating the time of the year, as primaries already passed lol. But just for reference, Indians were brought to South Africa as pretty much slaves as well. My dad had a very rough childhood in the apartheid, and this is reminiscent of segregation.

Not everyone has submitted their app yet so the time of year is relevant. Also, you wouldn’t be asking if you’d already made your decision.

Any how, you are not black so the answer is no. If you look at the designations on the application they are very clear. You’re making it complicated in the hope that you can get a leg up. Bottom line: Do you check African American/Black on any other forms? No. So don’t start now.

Reactions: 3 users
Also, if ADCOMS and current medical students are telling you not to do it, please PLEASE heed the advice. We want to see you succeed. We don’t want you to lie in order to do so though.

Wish you thee best!

There is a difference between nationality, ethnicity, and race. OP, I know you know the answer to this question. There is no URM check off box. Just check off your ETHNICITY which is Indian (under the Asian section). If you truly consider yourself African , then there is an option under the Black or African- American section to select " Other Black or African American :" and you can add South African to clarify and not misidentify yourself.

Hi all,

Your ethnicity would be Indian and your nationality would technically be African American. I think what they want to know is whether you're ethnically African American which you're kinda not OP :shrug:. For now just think of African American as meaning black or mixed with black.