Supreme Court Ruling, Race based admissions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found what? Saying exactly same thing as what admissions says does not reflect any new knowledge. However, there is absolutely no way to prove statistically an inherent unquantifiable statistic created by an admissions department. The department has used arbitrary numbers that deliberately assign lower scores based on race alone and all he did was say yes the Asians have low numbers.
You said a guy from Duke provided counter evidence. Do you have a link to the evidence?

Edit: Never mind, your post was edited, didn’t catch that

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly when is this thread gonna get locked, mods?

The last like 3 days worth of posts has been people subtly calling each other racists and dogpiling, largely by people who aren't even going through the med school admissions process. What's the point?

Reactions: 5 users
Because the personality rating still exists. Just because a few handful of students won’t be getting in via AA, that doesn’t exactly mean Asians’ personality ratings will jump.
Harvard and other elite schools will keep doing what they are doing since another lawsuit will take another 3-4 years. Meanwhile, they were expecting this and that is the reason most schools went to test optional and now some are dropping tests altogether so the strong academic metric will no longer be a factor at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro
You did not directly call anyone on this thread out by name. However, given the flow of this conversation, it is not hard to tell which users you were thinking about and responding to when you chose to say this. For you to compare people that you've never met anywhere other than an online forum to "incels" says more about you than it does about them. The fact that, per your profile, you are a faculty member and "verified expert" of some kind disappoints and disgusts me. You should be ashamed of yourself. I am direct messaging you my name and number. If you want to double down on what you implied here about me and others like me, go ahead and give me a call. Also, please let everyone here know what institution you are involved with. That way, we will all know the prejudices of at least one school that any reapplicants following this thread don't need to waste their money applying to.
What in the world? I know you are not trying to "beef"/start a phone war with an anonymous person on SDN... of all forums. Now if this was Reddit? It'll slightly make more sense but still... kind of unnecessary.

This is SDN... o_O I agree with @Nontrad_FL_LGBT.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
@Goro
You did not directly call anyone on this thread out by name. However, given the flow of this conversation, it is not hard to tell which users you were thinking about and responding to when you chose to say this. For you to compare people that you've never met anywhere other than an online forum to "incels" says more about you than it does about them. The fact that, per your profile, you are a faculty member and "verified expert" of some kind disappoints and disgusts me. You should be ashamed of yourself. I am direct messaging you my name and number. If you want to double down on what you implied here about me and others like me, go ahead and give me a call. Also, please let everyone here know what institution you are involved with. That way, we will all know the prejudices of at least one school that any reapplicants following this thread don't need to waste their money applying to.
Touched a nerve, did we? Stop projecting.

Re-read KoolGirl's post

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Harvard and other elite schools will keep doing what they are doing since another lawsuit will take another 3-4 years. Meanwhile, they were expecting this and that is the reason most schools went to test optional and now some are dropping tests altogether so the strong academic metric will no longer be a factor at all.
“Test Optional “ is another joke. Universities boasts that they look at the applicants as whole and that’s why they use 25 criteria (our state school says that) but they couldn’t stand the fact that 1of those 25 criteria being objective. It is like saying, we evaluate the whole body but the brain/heart is optional. The sole objective measure bothers them.

If you take top universities, no one submits SAT scores if they are below 1500. But the acceptance rates of “test optional “ applicants is same as the ones who scored 1500+. Yeah, I know. Stats don’t matter. Those with 1500+ don’t know how the admission works, they are perfectionists and stats obsessive.

This 2023 cycle, the undergrad decisions from our State flagship university sent shockwaves through the entire state especially our community. Asian Americans from all schools including our premium magnet school were rejected at an unprecedented levels . Even the school principals were shocked. I am eagerly waiting for the university to release the demographic results for this year and most importantly next year. I am pretty sure there will be plenty of lawsuits.

Reactions: 1 users
You said a guy from Duke provided counter evidence. Do you have a link to the evidence?

Edit: Never mind, your post was edited, didn’t catch that
Here’s the condensed version of what the Duke professor found. The whole paper is a very worthwhile read, but I’ll direct your attention to Appendix E, where Prof. Arcidiacono provides a strong rebuttal of the modeling choices employed by Prof. Card. In short, unless one makes a litany of dubious assumptions, the Asian-American penalty almost certainly exists.

My only real concern with Prof. Arcidiacono’s findings was that his data objectively show that Asian Americans tend to receive lower school support ratings (e.g. teacher and counselor recommendations) than Whites at higher academic deciles (Appendix F4). In the best case scenario, this is likely a reflection of the fact that a far greater proportion of high-achieving Asian applicants than comparable White applicants come from potentially overtasked public schools. In the worst case, especially considering such a negative gap in school support ratings does not exist for Black or Hispanic applicants, this could be indicative of either discrimination at the level of high school recommendation writers or in the way in which Harvard adcoms translate their recommendations into a numerical reading. Assuming there is no foul play, could this be the source of the noted gap in personal scores? No, Prof. Arcidiacono addresses this by explicitly including school support ratings as controls in his model, “stacking the deck” against finding any evidence of discrimination. Lo and behold, even with this control in place, the penalty still clearly existed.

Edit: Grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Someone analyzed numbers for UCLA medicine and found that Asians went down from 85 to 45 over a 4-5 year admission cycles - 2018 to 2022. Wonder how the judgement affects medical schools.
The affirmative action was already banned in CA. Still the numbers went down means, they Asian Americans might have fell short on “Appearance Rating”. /s

Reactions: 1 user
The affirmative action was already banned in CA. Still the numbers went down means, they Asian Americans might have fell short on “Appearance Rating”. /s
California medical schools started using different ratings. UC Davis uses something called SED and claims to now have a class profile with 84% based on this score.

"A vast majority of the U.C. Davis class — 84 percent — comes from disadvantaged backgrounds, and 42 percent are the first in their family to go to college."

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I would like to thank everyone who participated with thoughtfulness and grace on this contentious topic.
As it would appear that all sides have been heard, I wish you a productive weekend as we put this thread to bed.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
Status
Not open for further replies.