After you graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted390966

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most schools have a job fair sometime in the fall of the where the big companies interview people. Students start getting offers after the first of the year and into the spring. Residency candidates go to a conference in December (Midyear). They meet with and network with programs. Residency apps are due between 12/31 and 1/15. Interviews happen in January, February, and March. The match lists are due March 7ish, and the match results come out March 21ish. More information about the match can be found at the link below.

https://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/applregister.html

Members don't see this ad :)
I work 40 hours/week plus some OTs. About 5 weeks vacation a year. It varies place to place. I would suggest you to work extremely hard to keep your boss happy. Do not even think about the benefits yet until you built some networking.

Employers interview and hire you even before knowing your NAPLEX score? (As I know, we don't take NAPLEX until we have graduated)...

All my DM cares about is that you passed and are breathing. So don't worry.

Employers interview and hire you even before knowing your NAPLEX score? (As I know, we don't take NAPLEX until we have graduated)...

No one cares what you actually scored on your NAPLEX. What matters is if you passed or not. All jobs you take at graduation (including residencies) are contingent on you being licensed (aka passing NAPLEX and MPJE) by a certain date.

I have another question: In your first working year as a pharmacist (post-graduation), what are the hours like? Do you get vacation time? If so, how much?

It is pretty standard for new employees to get no vacation time during their 1st year. It depends on the company though. You typically have to accrue the hours before you can use them.

5 weeks of vacation at the onset is rare. 0 to 2 weeks is the common starting place for vacation, especially in retail. Also note that retail managers secretly despise having employees with maxed vacation at 4 weeks or more. This adds an extra employee to their budget while you are on vacation. Some of these managers conspire to replace veteran rphs. It paints a big target on your back to have lots of benefits.

Hours depend on where you work and whether you are on salary. Always take an hourly job over a salaried one all other things being equal. Some of my friends on salary are expected to put in 2 to 3 hours extra daily. I get paid overtime for that same thing. They get nothing.

Usually hospitals that offer boat loads of vacation to start have lower pay rates to compensate. Many of the highest paying hospital systems such as Kaiser only start with 2 weeks and max out at 4 weeks vacation. I haven't yet found a hospital that combines high pay with generous vacation and retirement.

^ I guess you must have worked as an intern before to be in such good position?

Wow, I was always under the impression that you all get paid for the hours you work; now there is such thing as "fixed salary". I think it also sucks that we don't have paid vacations here AND you are hated for taking vacation :confused: (in Europe, people have paid vacations of up to 1 month/year)

This was written in 2010: http://americathegrimtruth.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/america-the-grim-truth/

I love this bit:

"If you think I’m making this up, check the stats on average annual vacation days by country:

Finland: 44
Italy: 42
France: 39
Germany: 35
UK: 25
Japan: 18
USA: 12

The fact is, they work you like dogs in the United States. This should come as no surprise: the United States never got away from the plantation/sweat shop labor model and any real labor movement was brutally suppressed. Unless you happen to be a member of the ownership class, your options are pretty much limited to barely surviving on service-sector wages or playing musical chairs for a spot in a cubicle (a spot that will be outsourced to India next week anyway). The very best you can hope for is to get a professional degree and then milk the system for a slice of the middle-class pie. And even those who claw their way into the middle class are but one illness or job loss away from poverty. Your jobs aren’t secure. Your company has no loyalty to you. They’ll play you off against your coworkers for as long as it suits them, then they’ll get rid of you."

Yeah, they got their money's worth out of me. I remember when I first started at Wags in the 90's that I got vacation during the first year. I quit after a few years, but when I came back in the next decade I had to wait a whole year before getting vacation days. Is this practice SOP across all industries now?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, they got their money's worth out of me. I remember when I first started at Wags in the 90's that I got vacation during the first year. I quit after a few years, but when I came back in the next decade I had to wait a whole year before getting vacation days. Is this practice SOP across all industries now?

I just got hired on at a major chain to do some occasional moonlighting, and my hiring letter says I don't earn vacation until I've been on at least a year I think (standard letter for new hires).

I just got hired on at a major chain to do some occasional moonlighting, and my hiring letter says I don't earn vacation until I've been on at least a year I think (standard letter for new hires).

That is pretty standard. I interviewed at a hospital and they don't even let you start accruing vacation hours until after 6 months of working there. That means it could take 1.5 years before you get a vacation.

One reason I'm very reluctant to job-hop is I don't want to have to wait 1-2 years again before taking another vacation.

And so when you get your vacation, is it paid or unpaid time off?

Vacation, by definition, is paid time off. Your employer may allow you to take unpaid days off, depending on your situation and how easily they can cover you.

"If you think I’m making this up, check the stats on average annual vacation days by country:
Finland: 44
Italy: 42
France: 39
Germany: 35
UK: 25
Japan: 18
USA: 12

True. However, in general, Americans are much better off materially, than are other in other countries. (Now, I would say "better off materially" isn't the only thing going into quality of life, but there is a tradeoff of vacation days worth material goods, and as a society, the US has decided material goods are better than vacation days.) There is a lot of stuff we take for granted here in the US, even people below the poverty line, that the middle class in other countries don't have easy access to.

However, in general, Americans are much better off materially, than are other in other countries. (Now, I would say "better off materially" isn't the only thing going into quality of life, but there is a tradeoff of vacation days worth material goods, and as a society, the US has decided material goods are better than vacation days.) There is a lot of stuff we take for granted here in the US, even people below the poverty line, that the middle class in other countries don't have easy access to.
This is NOT true. European countries (most, not all) have free healthcare, very low-to-free tuition, free pension, paid maternity AND paternity, longer vacation. So although Americans earn more in salaries, we are worse off in the big picture & the long run. Speaking of "high salaries," only the top elites (government, healthcare professionals, CEOs) earn a lot; the rest of the population - not even close. Not to mention our minimum wage is an embarrassing $7.25! (http://www.theatlantic.com/business...-wage-em-really-em-stacks-up-globally/279258/).
https://www.facebook.com/TheOther98

I got 12 days of vacation in my first year. After the one year anniversary, that jumped to 18 days per year. After five years, it's 22 days annually, and 25 days annually after ten years. We can take up to four additional weeks unpaid for any reason (with approval) and have FMLA.

I agree Americans are better off in general if you are looking at possessions and property ownership as indicators. Doesn't the us give poor people free smart phones these days? Not too many middle class people in Europe own cars or houses either. Plus while their salaries and benefits may be higher on paper, higher cost of living and huge taxes make up for that.

Personally I am pissed off about paying over $1k a month in health insurance premiums, but, the chain I work for starts new grads at 3 weeks vacation per year and tops out at 6 later on .... The vacation thing affects entry level workers much worse compared to their European counterparts

Doesn't the us give poor people free smart phones these days?
Proof, please?

Not too many middle class people in Europe own cars or houses either. Plus while their salaries and benefits may be higher on paper, higher cost of living and huge taxes make up for that.
Fact: European salaries are lower than ours. Their taxes are higher. But we have lots of things to pay for that they don't so we end up paying much more than they do. We start out with educational debt, for example; they don't.

The hard truth is that the US is a country controlled by corporate greed and a powerful few. All parts of the college education industry are saturated with corruption, yet students and their parents still fail to realize that college administrators no longer care about what is in the best interest of their students. With U.S. tuition inflation for private colleges averaging 5.15% over the past decade, a college with tuition of $30,000 today will have tuition of $38,563 in the sixth year he attends it. In a high tech world of Kindles and iPads, there is no reason for students to be spending $200/each on 8 new textbooks each semester. The information should come free with the cost of tuition. US economy is a hoax; we feed the 2%. In Scandinavia, the tax money is used for the welfare of everybody. Our taxes are used to pay meaningless wars instead of for the good of the country like the Europeans do. We could learn A LOT from countries like Germany, Denmark, Norway, and try to follow in the same footsteps, but we don't because we are living in a dream.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Americans "own" is huge student loan debt that accrues 6.8% interest per year (and higher for private loans). People are driven to insanity and fraud by the burden of student loans: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-04/what-student-loans-are-really-used-depressing-case-studies (from http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/10-1-14-wsj-student-loan-debt-a-federal-toxic-asset.1101575)

Proof, please?

Fact: European salaries are lower than ours. Their taxes are higher. But we have lots of things to pay for that they don't so we end up paying much more than they do. We start out with educational debt, for example; they don't.

The hard truth is that the US is a country controlled by corporate greed and a powerful few. All parts of the college education industry are saturated with corruption, yet students and their parents still fail to realize that college administrators no longer care about what is in the best interest of their students. With U.S. tuition inflation for private colleges averaging 5.15% over the past decade, a college with tuition of $30,000 today will have tuition of $38,563 in the sixth year he attends it. In a high tech world of Kindles and iPads, there is no reason for students to be spending $200/each on 8 new textbooks each semester. The information should come free with the cost of tuition. US economy is a hoax; we feed the 2%. In Scandinavia, the tax money is used for the welfare of everybody. Our taxes are used to pay meaningless wars instead of for the good of the country like the Europeans do. We could learn A LOT from countries like Germany, Denmark, Norway, and try to follow in the same footsteps, but we don't because we are living in a dream.

I've seen this deal on the street. Very basic Android phone. Free talks, SMS, and ~250MB data per month. It happened in NYC.

It is pretty standard for new employees to get no vacation time during their 1st year. It depends on the company though. You typically have to accrue the hours before you can use them.

5 weeks of vacation at the onset is rare. 0 to 2 weeks is the common starting place for vacation, especially in retail. Also note that retail managers secretly despise having employees with maxed vacation at 4 weeks or more. This adds an extra employee to their budget while you are on vacation. Some of these managers conspire to replace veteran rphs. It paints a big target on your back to have lots of benefits.

Usually hospitals that offer boat loads of vacation to start have lower pay rates to compensate. Many of the highest paying hospital systems such as Kaiser only start with 2 weeks and max out at 4 weeks vacation. I haven't yet found a hospital that combines high pay with generous vacation and retirement.
really? I started with 5 - now have 7 (will max out at 8) - other hospitals in this area start at 7 and max out at 8
. Two weeks vaca? screw that, I would rather work in BFE than only get 2 weeks (and I work in a mid-major metro area of >1 million people

really? I started with 5 - now have 7 (will max out at 8) - other hospitals in this area start at 7 and max out at 8
. Two weeks vaca? screw that, I would rather work in BFE than only get 2 weeks (and I work in a mid-major metro area of >1 million people

Agreed, 2 weeks is not enough. My employer does not use the PTO system, everything is coded specifically for holiday, sick and vacation.

I started with 4 weeks vacation and 12 sicks days that accumulate annually and 10 holidays, no weekends, flexible day schedule 8-4/9-5. Quality of life and time to enjoy away from work are very important to consider.

Agreed, 2 weeks is not enough. My employer does not use the PTO system, everything is coded specifically for holiday, sick and vacation.

I started with 4 weeks vacation and 12 sicks days that accumulate annually and 10 holidays, no weekends, flexible day schedule 8-4/9-5. Quality of life and time to enjoy away from work are very important to consider.
that is a pretty sweet deal - where do you work?