All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For me my biggest soft spot has always been for leopard geckos, but baby sneks are definitely high up there. :love:
I really want a red tail boa, but co-owner isn't a fan of boas, plus balls a super first snakes.

Members don't see this ad.

I really want a red tail boa, but co-owner isn't a fan of boas, plus balls a super first snakes.
I can agree on the co-owner's lack of enthusiasm about red tails. I think they just get too big and unwieldy after a while. Definitely not impossible to own or anything, but something you should work up to haha.

And oh yeah, balls are so easy to take care of. I've heard of a few being very picky about feeding, but that may just be a snake thing in general. I've definitely had a few snakes who were grumpy gusses and had very particular desires when it came to how they were fed.

I can agree on the co-owner's lack of enthusiasm about red tails. I think they just get too big and unwieldy after a while. Definitely not impossible to own or anything, but something you should work up to haha.

And oh yeah, balls are so easy to take care of. I've heard of a few being very picky about feeding, but that may just be a snake thing in general. I've definitely had a few snakes who were grumpy gusses and had very particular desires when it came to how they were fed.
Co-owner would also be excited if I said I wanted to get a retic, so large and unweildy isn't the problem! He just doesn't like boas. I actually caught a wild red tail in Honduras... It was awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Relevant to the snake topic, when I shadowed the marine mammal department last week I saw where some educational program herps are kept and apparently we have some kind of constrictor named Julius Squeezer :banana:

Reactions: 6 users
image.jpeg

Guys, I did the thing. :love:

Reactions: 14 users
I have them for a month. Then they get neutered and put out on the adoption floor. Right now, they're hiding under my bed. And I don't think my cat has any clue they're here, since the bedroom door is closed.

Reactions: 2 users
Orange boys are my favorite kitties!

I've told the rescue that if they get a super fluffy orange male with polydactyl toes and he has a 30 pound momma, I will be right there because they found my dream kitten.... chances seem pretty slim, but I keep thinking that right when I get super busy, that is when they will call.

Reactions: 1 users
Turns out, 6am is the kittening hour

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Orange boys are my favorite kitties!

I've told the rescue that if they get a super fluffy orange male with polydactyl toes and he has a 30 pound momma, I will be right there because they found my dream kitten.... chances seem pretty slim, but I keep thinking that right when I get super busy, that is when they will call.
Yaaaas
I want a larger orange twin of my Gandalf.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
These damn kittens are too cute for their own good.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm quietly wondering if I'm watching someone use SDN to document the process of going from foster to foster failure. ;)
Hopefully no. I'm not in a real position to take on two more cats. My own cat has been giving these two the stink eye since they arrived too.

Took about a year for my two to stop having spats (no injuries, just Gandalf fluff in piles where the battles occurred) every day, Cindy still sometimes slaps Gandalf in the face for no reason. He just wants to groom her, she just wants to kill him...
But they sat in the car together for 9 hours with no troubles, all snuggled up :D

I've wanted an orange kitty for years and you all aren't helping! :love: Alas, my 12-year-old baby pictured in my avatar hates other animals, plus my SO is severely allergic to cats, so it would be a really bad idea to get another cat. The boyfriend and I have been talking about our future a lot lately, so it's really starting to sink in that if he and I end up getting married, I'll have to be content with just owning dogs (and maybe pocket pets and/or reptiles). Of course I'll still have feline patients, and my parents' kitties to visit, but it's weird and a bit sad to think about.

Things my cat has thrown a hissy fit about in the past 24 hours:
  • I went to a movie and did not bring him
  • I would not let him bite the other cat while the other cat was sleeping
  • I gave him a box to play with and had the audacity to set it next to the paper bag he also plays with
  • I sat in "his" chair
  • I will not let him eat the cords for the blinds
  • I started the washer
  • I will not let him try to eat any other string like objects that he finds, like charging cables and the other cat's tail
  • I made him share his spot in the window with the other cat, who was already there
  • He tried to attack the armrest of my couch, lost by falling off, and then got mad at the couch
Truly, it has been a difficult day to be an orange kitty with a short fuse in this household.

Reactions: 7 users
Past few nights the cats have been pretty good, going to sleep when I do and being quiet at night. But last night? No. They played with the noisiest toys, they kept jumping up on the dresser and knocking things over (I just set up all my makeup yesterday). Cindy woke me up at least 5 times between 5:30 and 8 this morning. I kicked her out of the room, she made noise in the living room and I was afraid she was going to break something.

And now she is curled up in her bed, fast asleep :yeahright:

I've wanted an orange kitty for years and you all aren't helping! :love: Alas, my 12-year-old baby pictured in my avatar hates other animals, plus my SO is severely allergic to cats, so it would be a really bad idea to get another cat. The boyfriend and I have been talking about our future a lot lately, so it's really starting to sink in that if he and I end up getting married, I'll have to be content with just owning dogs (and maybe pocket pets and/or reptiles). Of course I'll still have feline patients, and my parents' kitties to visit, but it's weird and a bit sad to think about.
my husband is also really allergic. But he controls it on daily meds (claritin or equivalent) and other meds. But he knew cats were required.

my husband is also really allergic. But he controls it on daily meds (claritin or equivalent) and other meds. But he knew cats were required.

Samesies

And now she is curled up in her bed, fast asleep :yeahright:

My solution to this is yelling "Jack! Wake up!" every time I pass by and poking him. Then he looks at me like this:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Oh. My. God. So much attitude! I want to snuggle him :love:

This is my last week at work. and I'm really sad to be leaving the clinic kitty :( I couldn't convince my parents to let me take him while I was living here, and don't want to introduce him to my two in a one bedroom apartment when I won't have room for each of the kitties to have their own space during intros.

They said I can have him whenever I can take him, but I'm going to miss him so much :(

He's on daily prescription allergy meds (can't remember the name of it at the moment), but that basically just means he can be in a house with cats for a few hours if the cats are kept separate, and he might still get sneezy but he's not miserable for days afterward. He also has pretty bad asthma. Maybe someday once he has health insurance he'll be able to try allergy shots or something stronger, but I don't want to get my hopes up. ;) Honestly I'm really excited for whenever I'll be able to get a dog, I've only ever had cats, fish, and a gerbil.

I love the piebald ones...but they're so pricey (not pricey like the first ones you listed though, ha!). I'd like a corn snake one day.

Corn snakes are the BEST! Love my little male so much. If you ever get one, independent breeders are the way to go! My guy was bred for temperament and is the best!

Also I love all these cat posts! I think we are going to adopt another cat soon, so that our current cat has a friend since he will be separated from the dogs (they're BFFs).

I can't believe it's been 2 years already with this fluff monster. His official gotcha day isn't until August 4th but his trial period at home with me and my family started July 25th. I love my Gandalf so much :biglove:

1497633_10204284942345780_6554674727481159210_n.jpg

20160727_205833.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
I can't believe it's been 2 years already with this fluff monster. His official gotcha day isn't until August 4th but his trial period at home with me and my family started July 25th. I love my Gandalf so much :biglove:

View attachment 206987
View attachment 206992
That's awesome! My one year anniversary of taking Lil Mac home was last week. Time sure does fly!

One of my foster kittens is being super sneezy. He had a big sneezing fit once a week ago, but now he's sneezing almost every two minutes. And I found a flea on him. Hopefully I'll be able to get some meds from the shelter tomorrow.

One of my foster kittens is being super sneezy. He had a big sneezing fit once a week ago, but now he's sneezing almost every two minutes. And I found a flea on him. Hopefully I'll be able to get some meds from the shelter tomorrow.
Mine ended up with URIs and I got to keep them an extra week while they got better. It happens since they come from such a highly populated environment and their immune systems don't tend to be the greatest (URIs in shelter cats are super common). It's one good reason to keep fosters separated from your personal pets.

Most of my foster kittens have gotten URIs as well

Mine ended up with URIs and I got to keep them an extra week while they got better. It happens since they come from such a highly populated environment and their immune systems don't tend to be the greatest (URIs in shelter cats are super common). It's one good reason to keep fosters separated from your personal pets.
Definitely, my cat stays in the living room and the fosters are both in the bedroom. Right now, the sneezy one is in the bathroom, actually.

Definitely, my cat stays in the living room and the fosters are both in the bedroom. Right now, the sneezy one is in the bathroom, actually.
Poor little one, hope he gets better quickly.

I'm assuming he because all orange cats are boys to me. Even the ones that I know are girls.

My new betta doesn't want to eat. He spends all his time resting against the filter. I'm afraid he's not going to make it. :(
:( I sorry. It's really hard to tell what is wrong with them sometimes, so hard to treat. Have you checked all your water parameters?

I feel like I could make a little cat IQ test and give it to people.
  • Has your cat even eaten shampoo?
  • Has your cat ever tried to jump into the toilet after you flushed it?
  • Has your cat ever gotten into a fight with a couch and lost?
  • Has your cat ever gotten confused by curtains?
  • If yes, did the confusion about the curtains then make him angry?
If you answered no to all of the above questions, congratulations! Your cat is smarter than my cat.

I feel like I could make a little cat IQ test and give it to people.
  • Has your cat even eaten shampoo?
  • Has your cat ever tried to jump into the toilet after you flushed it?
  • Has your cat ever gotten into a fight with a couch and lost?
  • Has your cat ever gotten confused by curtains?
  • If yes, did the confusion about the curtains then make him angry?
If you answered no to all of the above questions, congratulations! Your cat is smarter than my cat.
No
Eh...not tried to jump, but does get curious
No
Yes
Yes

Current kitten annoyances:

1) came in my room, kitten poop and pee on my bed. When they've been using the litter box since day 1. DAY 1.
2) found three fleas on one kitten this evening. This same kitten had frontline spray re-treatment last Monday. Have also found one lone flea on the other kitten. Second kitten was treated once, has not had retreatment.
3) flea-lesser kitten still sporadically sneezes/sniffles but no nasal congestion, drainage, or lethargy, so foster coordinator just want to hold out until they see the vet Tuesday for shots.

A while back 2 of our hens went broody (which my mom hated because they "stole" a whole bunch of eggs, pretty much have tied up our egg production for some time). But I wanted to let them sit, since one of them is actually a 2nd-generation silkie cross who hatched here last year (plus who doesn't love seeing new chicks hatch :love:) Went to check the chickens after I got home from work and discovered one peeping hatchling, still a tiny bit wet! I don't know if any of their other eggs are viable/close to hatch (hard to look since these 2 angry hens have decided to share one nest box for some reason...) a few looked pipped but I didn't hear anything so those may just be cracked.

Sorry for sucky pic quality, it's what I took on the fly to send to my family. The hen on left is the one that was born here (the red one may even be her mom? one of the red hens is), the chick is an ameraucana unrelated to either of them...they're sitting on a pile of mixed eggs.
IMG_3078.JPG

Reactions: 6 users
Current kitten annoyances:

1) came in my room, kitten poop and pee on my bed. When they've been using the litter box since day 1. DAY 1.
2) found three fleas on one kitten this evening. This same kitten had frontline spray re-treatment last Monday. Have also found one lone flea on the other kitten. Second kitten was treated once, has not had retreatment.
3) flea-lesser kitten still sporadically sneezes/sniffles but no nasal congestion, drainage, or lethargy, so foster coordinator just want to hold out until they see the vet Tuesday for shots.
Found two more fleas on fleabag kitten. Becoming more paranoid and keep thinking I feel bugs on me. I don't have the authority to apply flea meds to the kittens on my own, but definitely going to pick up some for my own cat tomorrow. Both kittens see the vet on Tuesday and I will definitely push for a re-treatment or a more effective treatment.