All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And when they first came home

IMG_20160705_154203226.jpg
IMG_20160703_144819483.jpg
IMG_20160704_125056769.jpg

IMG_20160705_154345500.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
@Caiter92 how's your dog doing after surgery?

We let her go on Wednesday :(

Her gallbladder didn't end up being blocked, but her liver had extensive chronic changes that made no sense, because bloodwork in April was perfect. The internist had no idea why it would happen in three months, because it shouldn't have happened that fast, but he felt it had to have because of April bloodwork. He also didn't feel this was a toxin/toxicity issue for various reasons. But her jaundice wasn't improving, she seemed to be having some cognitive issues, and it was now a situation where if (and they were starting to think it was a big if) we could get her through this crisis, we could maybe get her to an "acceptable" QOL for a few months with a lot of supportive care due to her extensive liver disease. We just couldn't put her through it. We were able to spend a couple of hours with her first, but I just hate we weren't able to be with her more her last two days.

We had them take a biopsy of her liver and do a culture during her surgery. The hope was to get them back in time to help, but Wednesday she was just so much worse so we weren't able to. They offered to cancel both tests and refund them in full, but we asked them to keep them so we can hopefully get some answers.

I thought about posting an update, but just haven't been able to talk about it. We haven't really even told people yet, because it is just such a shock.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Her gallbladder didn't end up being blocked, but her liver had extensive chronic changes that made no sense, because bloodwork in April was perfect. The internist had no idea why it would happen in three months, because it shouldn't have happened that fast, but he felt it had to have because of April bloodwork. He also didn't feel this was a toxin/toxicity issue for various reasons. But her jaundice wasn't improving, she seemed to be having some cognitive issues, and it was now a situation where if (and they were starting to think it was a big if) we could get her through this crisis, we could maybe get her to an "acceptable" QOL for a few months with a lot of supportive care due to her extensive liver disease. We just couldn't put her through it. We were able to spend a couple of hours with her first, but I just hate we weren't able to be with her more her last two days.

We had them take a biopsy of her liver and do a culture during her surgery. The hope was to get them back in time to help, but Wednesday she was just so much worse so we weren't able to. They offered to cancel both tests and refund them in full, but we asked them to keep them so we can hopefully get some answers.

I thought about posting an update, but just haven't been able to talk about it. We haven't really even told people yet, because it is just such a shock.

I'm so sorry. :( You did everything (and more), and I'm sorry she wasn't able to recover from this.

*******the biggest internet hug ever*********

Reactions: 1 user

Oh no, I'm so sorry for your loss. :( It sounds like you did everything you could have for her.

So sorry:(

So sorry Caiter :(

I'm so sorry for your loss, Caiter. :( I'm sure you were a great companion to her and that she loved every moment you gave her. You did everything you could have.

*massive hugs*

Hey, if you want one . . . ;)

OMG don't tempt me. I'd love a kitten! But my old ladies (and mom) would kill me :laugh:

If I was to just so happen find a kitten outside my apartment door though, I mean, I wouldn't say no... :p

If I was to just so happen find a kitten outside my apartment door though, I mean, I wouldn't say no... :p

I mean, that can be arranged. Where did you say you'd be living?

I'm really nervous about adopting out little miss hernia. It's not even anything really high maintenance, and apparently it often resolves itself as they grow. But still. She's my baby. She needs an extra-special home.

We had 9 kittens (from the same owner) in the hospital to meet prospective adopters. We had to treat them all for fleas and ear mites, and then we had a pretty constant stream of people coming in and out of the hospital to meet and adopt them.

My brother brought in Hernia and her sisters for me so that Hernia could be checked out, and they could all be weighed. Well, as he was leaving, this soccer-mom type came in to meet the kittens. My boss told my brother to wait and made him open the carrier and take out my babies. Then she started promising Hernia to this woman and explaining to her how to care for the hernia, and I was like NO YOU DO NOT. I don't know if this lady is going to come back and expect me to have saved the kitten for her, but nope. Not going to happen.

(The lady told us her husband was only okay with getting a cat if it was 100% free. Then she asked if Hernia's spay would be free. Nope nope nope.)

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm really nervous about adopting out little miss hernia. It's not even anything really high maintenance, and apparently it often resolves itself as they grow. But still. She's my baby. She needs an extra-special home.
I want her! If only I wasn't so far away, I really would adopt her.

I am going to adopt a kitty (undecided if I am going to get an adult or a kitten) in the next few weeks and I am so so so excited to have a buddy through vet school.

Reactions: 1 users
I want her! If only I wasn't so far away, I really would adopt her.

I am going to adopt a kitty (undecided if I am going to get an adult or a kitten) in the next few weeks and I am so so so excited to have a buddy through vet school.

If only you'd accepted WSU. You see what perks you're missing out on. :p

Reactions: 2 users

I can sense the foster failure happening already. :shifty:

I can sense the foster failure happening already. :shifty:
Shhhh. I'm not allowed to think like that. I was only able to bring them home at all because I promised my family that they would all go to new homes, no exceptions. We're a 3-cat household and my family wants to keep it that way. I have no idea why. 8 cats fit so well!

Reactions: 5 users

Aww. Hernia is the little light baby, right? She reminds me of one of my kitties from when I was little.

I'd actually be really curious to see how my cats would react to a kitten. Pretty sure Molly (my sweet black lady who loves everyone) would be fine and maybe even like a little baby. Emy though would be hilarious. She's my baby but admittedly can be a devil cat to people she doesn't know. She doesn't understand things smaller than her, and just kind of stands there glaring at them :laugh:

Damn it, now I want a kitten.

I would lovingly take Hernia, and name her Hernia (it's a lovely name, it means "hernia", but in Spanish ;)), and give her lots of love and kisses all of the time. The only problem is that Lil Mac is a jealous kitty who hates sharing attention and I think he'd eat her or at least spread his bad cat attitude to her.

It's funny. In an abstract sense I want a kitten or a puppy or various other animals. But being by myself and being the only one caring for my fur babies has made me realize that it is a lot of work, and I like to be able to spoil them and take care of them well. The more you have the harder that gets (financially and in other ways). So in a real sense...I'm good with my two babies (five if you count the fish, and they're a lot of work sometimes too!). Kind of strange coming to that realization.

It's funny. In an abstract sense I want a kitten or a puppy or various other animals. But being by myself and being the only one caring for my fur babies has made me realize that it is a lot of work, and I like to be able to spoil them and take care of them well. The more you have the harder that gets (financially and in other ways). So in a real sense...I'm good with my two babies (five if you count the fish, and they're a lot of work sometimes too!). Kind of strange coming to that realization.
This is why I haven't gotten a dog. I don't think I'll have time for one in vet school!

Aww. Hernia is the little light baby, right? She reminds me of one of my kitties from when I was little.

I'd actually be really curious to see how my cats would react to a kitten. Pretty sure Molly (my sweet black lady who loves everyone) would be fine and maybe even like a little baby. Emy though would be hilarious. She's my baby but admittedly can be a devil cat to people she doesn't know. She doesn't understand things smaller than her, and just kind of stands there glaring at them :laugh:

Yup, she's the lynx point. She's a crazy little squirt! She's the first one to figure out how to do everything, and she runs around and wrestles the mamas like a maniac. She can hold her own.

Tell me I'm insane.

Friday evening we had a stray dropped off at the vet hospital. Emaciated, lethargic, matted, blow-out diarrhea. Reached the owner via microchip and she was out of town and said she'd call us by Saturday morning with arrangements and we stressed to her that the dog needed medical care. Waited until mid-Saturday morning and hadn't heard a peep from her. Called DAS - they were having a hellish day and didn't think they'd get over to us until the afternoon. I drove her to them since she needed treatment sooner rather than later. Left a voicemail for the owner and she called us back almost 4 hours later. The dog was receiving treatment by DAS for pneumonia at that point. An investigative hold was put on her so the owner will have to chat with an officer before the dog is released back into her care.

Meanwhile I completely fell in love with this dog. She pulled at all of my heartstrings :bored: (it was the 'I'm too weak to get up but I'll lick warmed food off your fingers and look at you with my sad eyes' move). She weighs a whopping 4 pounds - does that even qualify as a dog? Anyway, the owner said she would pick the dog up from DAS today and I am obsessively checking their website to see if she disappears. I can legally adopt her on Thursday (my name is on her as first dibs) if the owner doesn't show and my husband is totally not fighting me on it. Do I need another dog? No. I'm praying that the owner gets cleared but I'm also praying she no-shows and/or relinquishes when she sees the bill :shrug:

My living room has West-facing windows, so it gets really sunny in there in the afternoon/evening and my Snowball LOVES it.
20160809_163954.jpg

Also she actually sleeps in her bed on the foot of my bed at night. I'm so proud!
20160805_093250.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
It's only their third day in my apartment, but my cats are doing so well. They've never been enemies or fought, but one of them can be a butt to the other sometimes and won't let her sister go certain places (like she wasn't allowed in my room at home, and if she tried she'd be chased away and swatted at). I was really worried that would happen here, or they would start actually fighting in a smaller space, but there hasn't even been any hissing. They both seem really settled in already, and they've even both sleeping on the bed with me. Not together, but I don't expect them ever to cuddle. They were only three feet apart and didn't care at all, so I'm pretty pleased.

The two Feliway diffusers I have plugged in here probably help, but so far so good. Hopefully this keeps up. Being able to snuggle with both of my kitties at night is the best :D

Friday my two foster boys go back to go out on the adoption floor. Legitimately cried on my way into work today. Gonna miss my cuddle bugs, but I know they're going to be well placed.
image.jpeg

Tell me I'm insane.

Friday evening we had a stray dropped off at the vet hospital. Emaciated, lethargic, matted, blow-out diarrhea. Reached the owner via microchip and she was out of town and said she'd call us by Saturday morning with arrangements and we stressed to her that the dog needed medical care. Waited until mid-Saturday morning and hadn't heard a peep from her. Called DAS - they were having a hellish day and didn't think they'd get over to us until the afternoon. I drove her to them since she needed treatment sooner rather than later. Left a voicemail for the owner and she called us back almost 4 hours later. The dog was receiving treatment by DAS for pneumonia at that point. An investigative hold was put on her so the owner will have to chat with an officer before the dog is released back into her care.

Meanwhile I completely fell in love with this dog. She pulled at all of my heartstrings :bored: (it was the 'I'm too weak to get up but I'll lick warmed food off your fingers and look at you with my sad eyes' move). She weighs a whopping 4 pounds - does that even qualify as a dog? Anyway, the owner said she would pick the dog up from DAS today and I am obsessively checking their website to see if she disappears. I can legally adopt her on Thursday (my name is on her as first dibs) if the owner doesn't show and my husband is totally not fighting me on it. Do I need another dog? No. I'm praying that the owner gets cleared but I'm also praying she no-shows and/or relinquishes when she sees the bill :shrug:
Update?

Pupdate*? :p

The owner no-showed on Tuesday. I formerly worked with the vet that was assigned her case at the shelter and she was awesome at keeping me posted. They were treating the pup pretty aggressively with several antibiotics and fluids and she was still eating but not putting on weight. Yesterday she appeared to have the strength to stand but was ataxic. Doc was able to reach the owner yesterday and apparently the dog had been adopted 1 month ago from a shelter in Texas and had 'never been healthy'. Distemper was suspected (or something else really bad) so with the owner's consent they went ahead and euthanized.

I feel sad about the outcome but I'm glad the pup didn't go back to the owner who never sought treatment and I know in my heart that she's in a better place. To soothe the little crack in my heart I ordered new collars and treats for my guys and took them for an extra long walk last night (my old man dog enjoyed it but is a bit on the stiff side today, oops :p)

Thanks for asking!

Had a bit of a breakthrough today with my cat. For the past couple of evenings I've been letting the foster boys roam the apartment until bedtime, then it's back to my bedroom until tomorrow. To get them back I'll feed, so they come running into the bedroom. Tonight Juniper tried coming in but stopped short at the door. She let both kittens pass her into my bedroom with hardly a second glance. I'm so proud of her, but it's bittersweet since this is the last night I'll have my orange boys with me.

Reactions: 3 users
My cat is such a little jerka** sometimes. He loathes sharing attention and sometimes tries to fight the other cat if I so much as politely scratch the other cat's chin. Then he sulks all day when he gets in trouble for fighting for my affections. Little butthead.

One of my cats is now totally terrified and refusing to come out of my room :( the other is still fine and seems adjusted, but now she won't go in my room since the other cat seems to have claimed it. She's the one who always sleeps with me too, and she wants in but just stands at the door. I feel awful. They were doing so well. talking to their vet about maybe starting some anti-anxiety meds for at least a while. Hopefully that works, I'm feeling so guilty about moving them now :(

2sbwdvd.jpg

This was our Bella's picture that was up on the animal shelter website when she was still there. They actually got a professional photographer in for her, because she'd been there for so long (almost 8 months, their longest ever resident) and nobody had adopted her (bumper kitten season, everyone wanted the cute kitties nobody wanted to adopt the adult cats, and the longer she was there the more institutionalised, and withdrawn she became, and that made her adoption chances even less then). I saw this picture, said to my husband 'We HAVE to adopt this cat, she's been at the shelter long enough', phoned the shelter to get some further info on her, and then we were straight down there that weekend to pick her up. I literally just walked into cat reception and said 'We're here to pick up Bella, if you could just get her and put her in the cat carrier that'd be great' - the staff were like 'Um, don't you want to see the cat first?'...'Nope, that's fine, just go get her, we're taking her home'. They did manage to talk sense into me, with some assistance from my husband, and I did go out and at least see her - very miserable looking and shut down, but they did manage to coax her out of her shell a bit with some food treats and she let me pick her up and snuggled into me a bit and that was that, I was not leaving the shelter without her.

Some of the things Bella enjoys are family time with her humans on the lounge watching TV, chest snuggles, meowing and giving her humans pointed looks when she's decided to go to bed at 2 in the afternoon and we're supposed to be joining her, waking at least one of her humans up at 3 am because she needs to be picked up and walked around the house, and chasing her humans down the street when they try to leave to go anywhere. Yeah she still has some separation anxiety issues (you try having someone dump in you a shelter and being stuck there for months on end) but she is a lot, lot better than she was (and admittedly I do probably overindulge her a bit, but she's my baby. :love:

Reactions: 8 users
My cat keeps trying to drink the water I'm soaking my hand in instead of her clean water bowl.

So I have been thinking about it for a couple of months that I wanted to adopt a kitty once I got here since my parents were too attached to let me take my cat from back home. I have kind of been looking on petfinder and adoptapet the past few weeks to see if anything in the shelters around me caught my eye. I was planning on waiting until maybe mid-September to really get into the swing of things with school, and I really wasn't finding any adoption ads that were catching my eye. Then all of a sudden last night I came across a kitten that is at the Animal Welfare Center about an hour away, and she looks EXACTLY like my cat that passed away from cancer about five years ago. There isn't any info in her ad besides that she is 11 weeks old and spayed, but I am already in love just looking at her. The earliest I could go to meet her would be next Friday because of class not getting out until late and the drive to get there, but I am crossing my fingers that she will still be there then, and that she is as sweet of a kitten as I am hoping she is.

Reactions: 6 users
My boss found out today that her 8yo pit mix has osteosarcoma :(

He's such a sweetheart, I can't imagine how she's taking it. She's hesitant about amputation, so is researching into just about anything she can find for him.
Only time I ever saw/heard of treatment without amputation was a case in the UK (I think) with the vet who had that Bionic Vet show. He basically took out the affected part of the bone instead and replaced it with a prosthetic.
http://www.fitzpatrickreferrals.co....-endoprosthesis-for-bone-cancer-osteosarcoma/

What about amputation makes her hesitant? Cost is one thing but dogs adapt so well to being tripods.
I think because she'll still have to follow up with chemo, and that her vets have so far estimated another year tops. She wants to know that he'll have a good year, not a year recovering from the amputation and chemotherapy and still be uncomfortable. She's still getting info from local university hospitals to see what her options are.

I think because she'll still have to follow up with chemo, and that her vets have so far estimated another year tops. She wants to know that he'll have a good year, not a year recovering from the amputation and chemotherapy and still be uncomfortable. She's still getting info from local university hospitals to see what her options are.
What leg is it? My parent's 7 year old lab just (in March) had her left rear leg amputated for osteosarc and she is doing really well. They aren't doing chemo and did the amp for palliative reasons. She's still running around playing fetch and just looks a bit less graceful now with 3 legs. She recovered really well and pretty quickly (like 2-3 weeks she was back to pseudo-normal). Honestly her recovery was a bit prolonged because we kept her gorked out on pain meds longer than we really needed to.

What leg is it? My parent's 7 year old lab just (in March) had her left rear leg amputated for osteosarc and she is doing really well. They aren't doing chemo and did the amp for palliative reasons. She's still running around playing fetch and just looks a bit less graceful now with 3 legs. She recovered really well and pretty quickly (like 2-3 weeks she was back to pseudo-normal). Honestly her recovery was a bit prolonged because we kept her gorked out on pain meds longer than we really needed to.
Front left. Dunno where the mass is exactly on the leg, but I'd put money on its in the elbow, since that's where the stiffness and limping started

It has always amazed me how much better animals seem to handle chemo than humans. Not sure if it's that different drugs are used or what, but they seem to do pretty well with it.

this dog had an amazing last year. he still did all the things he used to despite amputation and multiple different chemo trials. theres a lot more out there about him, but this is such a cute video
the follow up

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have any suggestions for any chews for my pup? I used to always buy the rawhide strips my family got, but after the "don't buy anything that you can't easily bend" lecture, I've been wary. I would like to get something that 1) wouldn't break my dog's teeth 2) won't break my wallet and 3) will take my dog more than 1 second to chew.