Allergy testing by FP doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scharnhorst

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering if FP doctors can learn to administer and interpret allergy tests using multiple allergy applicators, and, when indicated, initiate and carry out an immunotherapy program

I think only IM docs can do an allergist fellowship , is that right ?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for replying
why do you think its not a good idea ?
what do the reps recommend if someone goes into anaphylatic shock ? how often does that happen realistically

Members don't see this ad :)
why do you think its not a good idea ?

Because the motivator is usually $$$. That doesn't bode well for high-quality care.

what do the reps recommend if someone goes into anaphylatic shock ? how often does that happen realistically

I have no idea. The mere fact that it could is reason enough for me to refer those folks out.

Reactions: 1 user
My first job out of residency had allergy shots set up. It was 100% a money issue. every patient got an allergy screening on their first appointment and if positive enough was referred for testing.

Shady. Would not recommend.

Agree with other comments. Most patients with allergy symptoms/issues are going to respond to non-specific treatments that do not require further testing. The few who will truly benefit from further investigation and management would not justify including this service in a typical primary care office. I suppose if you offer this to act as a pseudo allergy clinic to meet unmet demand and accept referrals in your area there is less issue with the ethical ickiness being alluded to by others...