Am i good to go? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chunkyz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I friend referred me to this site and now I'm really worried about my chances. About me:

3.43 GPA, 3.41 science gpa - 36 MCAT

Chemistry major at a public school. IL resident. Currently a senior and graduating so gpa is not going anywhere up especially with my P-chem class this semester. No major GPA trend.

ECs
-1 summer of volunteering at a hospital in the ER
-1 summer of research (another summer other than volunteering)
-4 years part of a minor social club
-20 hours of shadowing a family practicioner

I lined up a volunteer position at the hospital again for the summer. It seems like I wasn't that involved but academics are really challenging from me and took up a lot of my time. Any hope for MD? BTW I'm not a URM or economically disadvantaged.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I friend referred me to this site and now I'm really worried about my chances. About me:

Chemistry major at a public school. IL resident. Currently a senior and graduating so gpa is not going anywhere up especially with my P-chem class this semester. No major GPA trend.

ECs

I lined up a volunteer position at the hospital again for the summer. It seems like I wasn't that involved but academics are really challenging from me and took up a lot of my time. Any hope for MD? BTW I'm not a URM or economically disadvantaged.

https://www.aamc.org/download/157958/data/table25-mcatgpa-grid-white-0911.pdf

Statistically speaking, you have a 77 percent chance of acceptance (your mcat is saving you). Try to finish the semester strong and apply early June! <--- very Important! Also don't aim for top 20 schools with your low gpa. Mostly state schools and a few "reach" schools if you want. I wouldn't be too worried. You're in a better position than many many other applicants (again your mcat score). Best of luck!

MSAR Online is your friend. You're competitive for a good number of the low-tier MD schools, all new MD schools, and any DO program. Definitely start the list with all ILL schools except SIU if you're not from the southern part of the state, UChi and Northwestern. Beef up the ECs because they're pretty avg. With a < avg GPA, you need to stand out in some other way. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities.

ECs

am i competitive for Loyola, UIC, and Rush? what do these schools look for? what are some other MD schools i should look at as well?