Am I Nuts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pelotari

Pelotari
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading a lot of the postings in this forum and I decided to join. A lot of good info around and I appreciate this valuable resouce. I hope to contribute positively to this forum.

Just wanted the opinion of folks that have gone through this before. I am getting all the pre-reqs for Dental School, hopefully trying to get in by 2007. I already took Biology I and Inorganic Chem. I, and did very well on both last semester.

I plan to take 3 courses (two have labs) this Summer, 11 weeks long starting in June. The courses that I plan to take are: General Chemistry II, Composition & Rhetoric I, and Physics I (for pre-meds/pre-dents, i.e. algebra-based).

A bit of background. I work full-time, have a family too (two small kids). I was lucky and managed to enroll in evening courses. I have a very strong engineering background, so I am not really too scared about Physics. However, I have never taken any English Composition nor Gen. Chemistry II courses before. The question to you is:

Am I trying to do too much? Am I nuts? I want to get into Dental School as soon as possible, but on the other hand I don't want to jeopardize my GPA for trying to bite too much at once. I can't afford any B's at all if I want to be competitive.

Your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll do well. Make sure you don't have to sacrifice anything at home in order to take too many hours, but you shouldn't have any problems with gen chem/composition ;) if you got through dif eq. Best of luck.

Pelotari said:
Hi,

I've been reading a lot of the postings in this forum and I decided to join. A lot of good info around and I appreciate this valuable resouce. I hope to contribute positively to this forum.

Just wanted the opinion of folks that have gone through this before. I am getting all the pre-reqs for Dental School, hopefully trying to get in by 2007. I already took Biology I and Inorganic Chem. I, and did very well on both last semester.

I plan to take 3 courses (two have labs) this Summer, 11 weeks long starting in June. The courses that I plan to take are: General Chemistry II, Composition & Rhetoric I, and Physics I (for pre-meds/pre-dents, i.e. algebra-based).

A bit of background. I work full-time, have a family too (two small kids). I was lucky and managed to enroll in evening courses. I have a very strong engineering background, so I am not really too scared about Physics. However, I have never taken any English Composition nor Gen. Chemistry II courses before. The question to you is:

Am I trying to do too much? Am I nuts? I want to get into Dental School as soon as possible, but on the other hand I don't want to jeopardize my GPA for trying to bite too much at once. I can't afford any B's at all if I want to be competitive.

Your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Welcome!! Relax buddy! Try to take it one step at a time, don't get overwhelmed with classes. It will be a little challenging taking all those classes during the summer with you working full time and all so...my advice to you is to try and see if you can handle those three classes for a week, remember, your family needs you too so don't jeopardize your kids for a chem class, remember! you can always take it during fall. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
TeethVader said:
Welcome!! Relax buddy! Try to take it one step at a time, don't get overwhelmed with classes. It will be a little challenging taking all those classes during the summer with you working full time and all so...my advice to you is to try and see if you can handle those three classes for a week, remember, your family needs you too so don't jeopardize your kids for a chem class, remember! you can always take it during fall. Best of luck to you.

Agreed, make sure your prioities are in line. Many people take a very big load of classes and still do well. Schools like to see that you are able to handle the load too. Work hard and it should all work out.

Thank you all for your kind words. I appreciate it.

I went to talk to the Pre-Dent advisor at the school I am attending and convinced me to take it easy. Do not jeopardize the GPA to get in by 2007. First, ensure you have the GPA...even if it takes me an extra year.

Thanks again.

Welcome. I look forward to your additions in this forum.