Am I Out...For Good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camshark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a loss. My ultimate dream is to be a physician. I'm looking at DO schools. I really messed up this cycle on my MCAT, first being 23 (9bio, 4ver, 10phys) and retake being 18 (don't even remember break down but verbal went up to 6) I retook way too soon and was obviously not prepared. So I did not apply this cycle obviously. Now I'm wondering though, even with a retake, do I have a shot next cycle? My cgpa is 3.2, sgpa 3.4, lots of shadowing and volunteering, good LORs. My last two years GPA is 3.7. I need to decide whether to move on or to try again. I have a family to support and we don't have the funds to keep going if there isn't a chance. Believe me, if it was just me to worry about I would never give up but I have more than myself to consider. Thanks for reading and any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm at a loss. My ultimate dream is to be a physician. I'm looking at DO schools. I really messed up this cycle on my MCAT, first being 23 (9bio, 4ver, 10phys) and retake being 18 (don't even remember break down but verbal went up to 6) I retook way too soon and was obviously not prepared. So I did not apply this cycle obviously. Now I'm wondering though, even with a retake, do I have a shot next cycle? My cgpa is 3.2, sgpa 3.4, lots of shadowing and volunteering, good LORs. My last two years GPA is 3.7. I need to decide whether to move on or to try again. I have a family to support and we don't have the funds to keep going if there isn't a chance. Believe me, if it was just me to worry about I would never give up but I have more than myself to consider. Thanks for reading and any advice.

Well obviously, going down from a 23 to an 18 is not good; neither of those are competitive scores for any DO school. So you really don't have an option but to retake, but when you do retake, make sure you are thoroughly prepared and do your best to aim for the high 20s/low 30s. A DO adcom came to my school once and talked about an applicant who had applied five times but eventually got in.

Make sure you don't have to retake a fourth time though.

Definitely retake both mcat and classes. You can still make it into a new school.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using SDN Mobile

Do well on your second retake and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile