Am I unrealistic??!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AuditorSD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I have been checking SDN for a while and I appreciate the amount of information and feedback people post on here. I am 30 years old and my dream is to become a cardiologist but due to a series of life events and financial responsibilities, I majored in accounting because the job market is good and I needed a job to pay the bills but I can't see myself at my current job for the next 30 years even though I know my promotion opportunities are very good. I have a BS in accounting and I volunteered at an ER for 4 months 3 years ago. My good friend who is currently a resident discouraged me from pursuing the Med school path on the basis that med schools are very picky and I might not have the qualifications or the background they look for, not to mention the hectic work schedule ( I work from home). Is there anyone here who was in a similar situation who can give some insight on how to proceed? My goal is to apply to met school by age 32 or 33.
Also, does anyone know if there's an accelerated pre-Med or pre-health program around San Diego? UCSD offers a postbac but only to help with application process etc, they don't offer the classes. SDSU doesn't offer a postbac program but allows enrolling in classes via open university.

At this point idk if I'm being realistic about accomplishing this dream. Any feedback, suggestions or insights would help and sorry for the long post

Members don't see this ad.

3.2 and I'm hoping to bring it up once I take the science classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll need to ace the remaining portion of your post-bac studies, as well as MCAT. The Ecs three years ago won't be enough, you need to show Adcoms that you know what you're getting into and that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30 years. You also need to shadow a doctor to learn what a doctor's day is like.

Some non-clinical ECs will also be needed to show off your humanism and altruism.

Over how many hours? What's your science GPA?

Do you need to take all of the prerequisites?
Yes I need to take all of the science classes. I found a pre-Heath program in CSUSM that's geared for people who are trying to apply for med or dental schools but I'm not sure if that will get me into a good school. The program takes 18 months.

I also majored in accounting got my CPA and worked for several years as an auditor before quitting and pursuing med school. You're where I was 2.5 years ago. I had no EC's of any kind and was carrying about a 3.5 from undergrad. So we're similar, and it's possible, since I got some MD acceptances.

As soon as I quit I began a DIY post-bacc at my local state university in order to get all my pre-reqs. I maintained about a 3.8 throughout the two years it took. I got lucky in that I was able to get financial aid for taking those pre-reqs, through some loophole that said so long as they were directly required for admission to a graduate program. I have no idea how common that practice is, but it allowed me to focus on school and only work sporadically.

As soon as I quit I also began accumulating experiences and EC's for my application. Pick a couple things and stick with them throughout the process, even if it's only a few hours a month, continuity is helpful. Some of my EC's even allowed me to get a full time clinical job after I finished my classes, which was a very solid addition to my application.

Oh, and crush the MCAT

I also majored in accounting got my CPA and worked for several years as an auditor before quitting and pursuing med school. You're where I was 2.5 years ago. I had no EC's of any kind and was carrying about a 3.5 from undergrad. So we're similar, and it's possible, since I got some MD acceptances.

As soon as I quit I began a DIY post-bacc at my local state university in order to get all my pre-reqs. I maintained about a 3.8 throughout the two years it took. I got lucky in that I was able to get financial aid for taking those pre-reqs, through some loophole that said so long as they were directly required for admission to a graduate program. I have no idea how common that practice is, but it allowed me to focus on school and only work sporadically.

As soon as I quit I also began accumulating experiences and EC's for my application. Pick a couple things and stick with them throughout the process, even if it's only a few hours a month, continuity is helpful. Some of my EC's even allowed me to get a full time clinical job after I finished my classes, which was a very solid addition to my application.

Oh, and crush the MCAT

Thank you for your reply, your experience tells me that there's hope to make this work, the challenge is huge and to go from being gainfully employed to a student again seems challenging but I have no doubt that it will be a rewarding experience that will change my life forever. I will start volunteering again and start taking the pre-reqs, I plan on keeping my job until I'm accepted to med school and also will start studying on my own to make sure I ace the classes.

Thanks again for your reply I'm more determined now to pursue my dream :)

I had the luxury of being able to make studying for classes and the MCAT my full time job, except for some sporadic working as I mentioned. It would have been impossible for me to put forth the effort needed while still holding a full time job, not to mention doing all the necessary extracurriculars. Even with the flexibility of working from home there may come a point where you have to choose whether you make a leap of faith or not. Hopefully that point won't come until you have a better feel for if your studying skills and motivation are up to par. Good luck!

This just solidifies my hatred for accounting and motivates me to ace my intermediate financial accounting course ! Thanks Oh and please get out of accounting only if you discover that your initial reasons for being one were idiotic like mine :)

Oh, and crush the MCAT
I am a 21 year old junior in accountancy...I hate it....Thanks for the motivation....Im not even considering working as an accountant though...What do you recommend? Shoot for a post bach or CC? right after getting this lucrative but boring degree ( which i started for the wrong reasons ......

If you're only a junior, can't you switch your major or at least take the pre-reqs while you're still in school? I would say stay at your university, even if that means taking an extra semester or two as a non-degree seeking student. Seems like less hassle than leaving and starting at a new school

If you're only a junior, can't you switch your major or at least take the pre-reqs while you're still in school? I would say stay at your university, even if that means taking an extra semester or two as a non-degree seeking student. Seems like less hassle than leaving and starting at a new school
Well i only have one year left to get the damn degree so Ill just do that ....Im taking intemrediate now and it is boring me to death. It is too easy. So easy That i might fail because of the boredom and 0 motivation.....im really considering going the cc route too but a post bach seems better ( without a b.s (bul****) degree I have a 10 % chance of getting in...... not good....