Am I wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firework

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone,

I am doing my part-time internship in a non-profit health center in a rural area. I am doing it as a volunteer, not because I don't want get paid but I could not find any other place (there is a big pharmacy school 40 miles away).

There were two pharmacy technicians (and one pharmacist) working at the place (on the days of week I signed up) before and a couple months after I came. As I was getting trained and started to pick up, the health center cut off one technician's hours little by little. (I think I am the reason, nobody said anything about this in front of me.) I think I over heard something like she will be laid off or moved to another site she doesn't want to go, but again, not sure if I heard it right.

This technician was nice to me I remember. Now I can feel the tension between us. She didn't say anything rude, but she gave me that look I really don't like, it's like saying: you are no better than me, they keep you not me because you are cheaper. The other technician has a point that they are both bilingual and 70% of the patients are hispanic so they shouldn't lay off hispanic technicians.

I don't know what to think. Can I blame her? No. But I don't want to quit either. Actually, I want to work more hours so I can get licensed sooner.

By the way, I was a pharmacist in China. I passed the FPGEC before they allowed me intern.

Members don't see this ad.

When I see some of my fish not get to eat because the other fish beat them to the punch or push them out of the way, I just say, "Well, that's life in the Fish World."

It is what it is. It's not like you purposely took her job. Personally, I think they are idiots to lay off a trained person that has language skills that are needed to better serve their patients. She has a marketable skill, though. She will (hopefully) find something else. People deal with the tension you described in different ways. If it was me, I would just talk to her so she can express how she feels and at least get it out. It sucks to have something burning inside you like that. Is she upset? Probably. But, if you open the lines of communication, at least she will know that you give a damn. If she hasn't talked to the supervisor about why they are cutting her hours, then that's her issue, not yours. It might not be the reason you think it is...

Hi, everyone,

I am doing my part-time internship in a non-profit health center in a rural area. I am doing it as a volunteer, not because I don't want get paid but I could not find any other place (there is a big pharmacy school 40 miles away).

There were two pharmacy technicians (and one pharmacist) working at the place (on the days of week I signed up) before and a couple months after I came. As I was getting trained and started to pick up, the health center cut off one technician's hours little by little. (I think I am the reason, nobody said anything about this in front of me.) I think I over heard something like she will be laid off or moved to another site she doesn't want to go, but again, not sure if I heard it right.

This technician was nice to me I remember. Now I can feel the tension between us. She didn't say anything rude, but she gave me that look I really don't like, it's like saying: you are no better than me, they keep you not me because you are cheaper. The other technician has a point that they are both bilingual and 70% of the patients are hispanic so they shouldn't lay off hispanic technicians.

I don't know what to think. Can I blame her? No. But I don't want to quit either. Actually, I want to work more hours so I can get licensed sooner.

By the way, I was a pharmacist in China. I passed the FPGEC before they allowed me intern.

R you volunteering b/c you want those hours to count as your intern hours???? if you are please make sure that those hours count!!!! I wanted to volunteer so I can get my intern hours done this summer BUT I was told that the board of pharmacy does NOT count volunteer hours as intern hours! They ONLY count hours that you have work ON THE JOB. It has to be a PAYING job for the hours to count. Volunteer hours will NOT count as intern hours!

Make sure you have that clear. You don't want to do these hours and have none of it count!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks very much for reminding me this. I will double check with our state board. By the way, can you tell me which state are you in?

R you volunteering b/c you want those hours to count as your intern hours???? if you are please make sure that those hours count!!!! I wanted to volunteer so I can get my intern hours done this summer BUT I was told that the board of pharmacy does NOT count volunteer hours as intern hours! They ONLY count hours that you have work ON THE JOB. It has to be a PAYING job for the hours to count. Volunteer hours will NOT count as intern hours!

Make sure you have that clear. You don't want to do these hours and have none of it count!

Thanks very much for reminding me this. I will double check with our state board. By the way, can you tell me which state are you in?

Sure, I am in Georgia. They don't count volunteer hours as intern hours.

You are right, I should talk with her. But I don't know what to say to her. I cannot offer any help, this internship is a very special opportunity, I really want to finish the hours sooner. I can't say "hey, I understand you, but guess what, I'm gonna do it anyway, good luck".

When I see some of my fish not get to eat because the other fish beat them to the punch or push them out of the way, I just say, "Well, that's life in the Fish World."

It is what it is. It's not like you purposely took her job. Personally, I think they are idiots to lay off a trained person that has language skills that are needed to better serve their patients. She has a marketable skill, though. She will (hopefully) find something else. People deal with the tension you described in different ways. If it was me, I would just talk to her so she can express how she feels and at least get it out. It sucks to have something burning inside you like that. Is she upset? Probably. But, if you open the lines of communication, at least she will know that you give a damn. If she hasn't talked to the supervisor about why they are cutting her hours, then that's her issue, not yours. It might not be the reason you think it is...

They don't? OMG, that's just tough.

I don't think I could ever find someone sponsor H1B and pay the prevailing wage to an intern when everybody else are laying off.

Sure, I am in Georgia. They don't count volunteer hours as intern hours.